Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

View Poll Results: Winch?
Take it 10 50.00%
Leave it 10 50.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Winches..
my take is you either praise the day you bought (or 'brought' in your case) it, or curse the day you didn't.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I am assuming this poll is only for taking a winch as a necessity for travel in Australias inland arid areas where the OP is intending to travel.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
I am assuming this poll is only for taking a winch as a necessity for travel in Australias inland arid areas where the OP is intending to travel.

Indeed it is. Or it was, at least.

Made a roof rack for the Maxtrax tonight near the rear of the camper trailer, it can stay on when flipping it over. 30mm x 15mm tube with the genuine Maxtrax mounting pins but chopped 10mm off each. The rack is nice and solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Week Ago

I vote leave the winch at home because you with another car.

My tip is also take a second tyre carcass and at least tools sufficient to change it on to a rim. If its not you, it might be your mate that needs the tyre.
2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories
Old 1 Week Ago

Everytime I used a winch when on a trip was to pull someone else out of a sticky situation. Like said above its nice insurance to have but another tyre is more practical. Fully endorse a TPMS system as I use on all my cars.
Old 1 Week Ago

I voted take it.

You only need a small sprinking of rain to turn some of those roads into skid pans and send you into a ditch that you might not be able to snatch out of.

If you've got the time, it's a small price to pay for some extra self sufficiency.
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Default Poll for Central Australia travellers... Winch: Take it or leave it.

Assuming I donít change my mind and install the winch tonight, can anybody see any issues in travelling without the fairlead on, as far as damage goes. As far as odds go itís low but when passing other cars on gravel roads, a stone could be kicked up by the passing car and just happen to get in there. Itís a decent sized hole. But on the flip side it would promote good airflow. I do have some gauze I could put over it and just put the bolts in to hold it in place. Opinions welcomed on this matter. Leaving in the morning.

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Bump but only because Iím leaving in the morning!

Old 1 Week Ago

There shouldn't be issues without the fairlead. You wouldn't need it without the winch, there's nowhere to attach anything in there anyway

Tyre carcass is a good idea, the last thing you want is getting a tyre for triple what you'd pay for it back home, it will be a highway tyre and binned as soon as you get home.. At least with your own, you know what it is, it matches your other tyres, meaning you can carry on with the trip without that in the back of your mind
MODS: TJM Airtec Snorkel | Bilstein Shocks with King Springs | full bushskinz bash plates | LED Lightbar | Rhino Platform | GME XRS UHF platform mounted antenna w folding bracket | Kings Awning | Ultragauge | Dual Battery | Rear Storage System | Paddle Shift | M&M Lockup Mate
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Get some expanded mesh/gutterguard from Bunnings and use 100mph/gafer tape to tape it over the opening.
Only temporary but gives you some piece of mind and won't cost heaps

Last edited by dhula; 1 Week Ago at 03:35 PM.