• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

lockup-mate for the Challenger PB/PC

Firstly an introduction of lockup-mate so you know what it is.
    lockup-mate is a torque converter clutch lockup kit that automatically turns on and off for ease of use. It reads the vehicle information it needs from the CANBus using the OBD2 connector.

Why have a lockup kit? They reduce automatic transmission temperatures (by eliminating heat caused by torque converter slippage), and consequently also improves your fuel economy.
    This also helps avoid the dreaded limp mode if the transmission gets too hot when towing or the ECU has detected high torque converter slippage for too long.

So, how much fuel can it save? - keep reading for some amazing results.

Following on from the release of the Pajero NT+ lockup-mate, I've started on a version for the PB/PC Challenger.
    I've had OJ's 2011 Challenger for a couple of weeks, and I now have a lockup kit working.
    Not fully functional yet, but working well enough to use.

I thought I'd share some preliminary test results with you.

The testing didn't focus on monitoring transmission temperatures (because I know this works well), so instead I was comparing fuel economy.

I drove a 6.0 km circuit that basically went from 1 roundabout to another and back with undulating hills in between at 60kph. In these conditions is causes slip in the torque converter.
    Doing this at midnight ensured no cars got in the way.
    The aim was to try to drive each circuit exactly the same. The centre meter was used to measure fuel economy. It was reset at the start of each run and read again at the end.

RESULTS
    Run 1 lockup-mate ON, using SPORT mode
    9.6L/100km

Run 2 lockup-mate OFF, DRIVE mode
    12.3 L/100km

wow..so I did it again, but this time used cruise control as much as possible to remove variability of my accelerator use.

Run 3 lockup-mate on using SPORT mode using cruise control
    9.6 L/100km - same as before

Run 4 lockup-mate OFF, DRIVE mode using cruise control
    12.0 L/100km

I then did did a run using SPORT mode with lockup-mate off, to see if I could do better than DRIVE mode.
    11.5 L/100km

Essentially 12.3 vs 9.6 L/100km. Using DRIVE used 25-28% more fuel compared to using SPORT/lockup-mate.

Early days, but really encouraging to say the least.

Other observations using lockup-mate with the challenger.
    • You don't get a harsh vibration at low RPM until around 900RPM - With lockup-mate ON, it will pull away in 2nd gear from just 1100RPM.
    • Driving with the torque converter locked and using SPORT mode transforms the car - it's so much more responsive and feels like a manual.
    • You can lockup in 1st gear though to 5th gear
    • Changing gear with the TCC locked is not quite a smooth as in DRIVE mode, but still more than acceptable.
    • Easier to install than for Pajero. AT ECU is more easily accessible and there’s only 1 wire to cut and connect to.
    • It's great using it with the flappy paddles.

OJ and I will continue to refine the challenger version of lockup-mate - so stay tuned.
    Last edited by m_and_m; 13-03-18, 11:16 PM.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's
  • amec
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Wamberal

Yes please.
    Ready to order.
    PC Challenger. TJM bar and winch. Dual battery with Redarc dc-dc, Redarc trailer brake controller. USB outlets everywhere, Uniden UH5060 UHF, $0.45 EGR mod. Lovells springs and Bilstein shocks For 50mm lift. LED spotties. MM 4X4 Automate. Airtec snorkel, Hancook dynapro, Bushskinz skid plates x3 + side steps.Torqit peddle thing. Torqit Power Module.

Comment

• Jackman
      • Dec 2010
      • Gold Coast

Sounds promising.
      2021 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport GLX. 18'' ROH Hostile wheels and 265/65/18 Yokohama tyres.

Comment

• itsamitsi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Hervey Bay Queensland

Sweet
        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

That's some excellent numbers.

Interesting how much lower the Challenger can go without vibration issues. I guess that's one of the benefits of a smaller displacement - smaller (lighter) pistons bouncing up & down in the block.

Oh for a 3 litre V6.

Wait, Shorty had one of those...
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• picard
            Valued Member
            • May 2011
            • wollongong

Long time coming, at what price would this device sell for? is it to fit by the owner?
            mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• m_and_m
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by picard View Post
              Long time coming, at what price would this device sell for? is it to fit by the owner?
              Long time coming! Good things come to those who wait.

Price will be same as for Pajero version. $395 +P&H.
              Yes, can be DIY if you can cut and solder a wire, in an awkward place.
              Last edited by m_and_m; 20-02-18, 07:52 PM.
              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

That's mind blowing.. your onto a winner ... fuel stats better then a manual challenger <0.4 ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• pb4x2
                  • May 2015
                  • Deception Bay Qld 4508

lock-up mate.

Great news, can't wait to purchase and fit one of these units.
                  2012 PB Challenger 4x2 auto

30mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar / SPV Delete / Catch can / Auto-mate / Lowered Front 35mm Rear 50mm / Side Steps Lowered 20mm / Rear Spoiler / Sony Double DIN xav-ax1000 / Rear Camera / All the Chrome bits

Comment

• chillipepperz
                    • Feb 2017
                    • Adelaide

Those results make the return on investment very real and very short, not to mention better drivability and transmission health along the way. Bring it on.

Cheers!
                    Andrew
                    2014 Challenger: Factory tow bar | Factory alloy bullbar | Kings LED’s | Window tint | Kumho Mt-51's | Munji EGR Delete | Provent 200 | Redarc Towpro | UHF in dash| Custom rear drawers and fridge slide | 130AH rear AGM battery | Aldi roof bars and Kings awning | Kings Springs KCFR55T front KCRR23 rear and Bilstein shocks. Soon: guards.

Comment

• ticky
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Adelaide

Hey M&M, impressive results. One of my mates has a Triton, I think about a 2015 or 16.

Will this unit be suitable for his car?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I dont know much about the Tritons.

Steve
                      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• mckenzl
                        • Mar 2013
                        • WA

Also should ask if it will work on the Jatco box in the NS?

Liam
                        Sold. 2007 NS VRX DID

Now. Isuzu MU-X MY17 LST

Comment

• m_and_m
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by mckenzl View Post
                          Also should ask if it will work on the Jatco box in the NS?

Liam
                          NS is on the development plan. Just need a volunteer in Adelaide.

Comment

• Gusey
                            • Nov 2015
                            • Townsville

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                            Long time coming! Good things come to those who wait.

Price will be same as for Pajero version. $395 +P&H.
                            Yes, can be DIY if you can cut and solder a wire, in an awkward place.
                            Hi
                            How far behind he Lock Up Mate do you think the Auto Mate for the Challenger will be?
                            2015 PC Auto/ Roo Systems ECU Remap/ 2.5inch Roo Systems Exhaust/ Safari Snorkel/ M&M 4x4 Auto Mate/ Munji EGR Delete/ OME Lift Kit/ 265 75 R16 Hankook A/T's/ Smartbar/ Rhino Flatrack/ ARB Awning/ 80ltr fridge/ 120ah Dual Battery/ GME UHF/ Diff Breathers.

Comment

• ngatioka
                              • May 2012
                              • North Lakes

Definitely in for one also.

Did notice a difference when the auto transmission box was flushed and new oil/filter done. Last time on the beach towing the camper didn't once go into limp mode. The gear changes have also been a lot smoother.

Lock up mate will be great for touring with a camper and at a later date a caravan
                              Black 2010 GLS auto, rear park sensors, factory rear diff lock, Ironman Snorkel, Opposite Lock Fleet Bar. After market bash plates, 2 Din stereo, UHF radio, Rhino racks with 1/2 basket and kayak holder, Kings awning, Airbag suspension, MM4x4 Lockup Mate.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X