• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boonybabe
    • Nov 2011
    • Newcastle

Torque Converter Lock Up

Has anyone installed one of these yet http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=42065. Im interested on any feedback on how it goes. I mainly want one for towing however the offroad benefits would be a bonus.
    Last edited by Boonybabe; 10-11-13, 07:16 PM.
    2011 Challenger LS, ARB Deluxe Bar, Bridgestone AT, Light Force Spotties, Bush Skinz Plates, 2" Ultimate Suspension
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Boonybabe View Post
    Has anyone installed on of these yet http://www.automatictransmission.com...p?NewsId=42065. Im interested on any feedback on how it goes. I mainly want one for towing however the offroad benefits would be a bonus.
    Funny you should post - I was looking at this today, for the offroad benefits. A few members have them, and I believe reports are good. I hope a few owners post up.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• collinandkerry
      • Feb 2012
      • ballarat

we have one of these fitted and have found it great even saving fuel when towing the caravan. i think the t/c on the challenger needs to be setup differant as i think its a pain in the ..
      2012 challenger, base mod, auto, opposite lock winch bar, maxxis 980 tyres, winch, snorkle, duel batteries, t/c lockup, ipf lights, king springs, poly air bags, dvd players in head rest (keeps the kids happy), brown davis under guards, scan guage, tekonsha brake control, tow bar,

Comment

• MikeL
        • Apr 2011
        • Melbourne

What happens if you forget to unlock the TC when you stop - engine stalls? Is that the worst to happen or will there be other damage?
        Now: MY14 NW with:
        Before: MY10 PB Challenger with: lotsa experience

Comment

• m_and_m
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010
          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

I made my own and have been 'playing' with it for some time, including the hills at Jakem Farm last weekend. $350 is bit rich for what it is, so I made my own for about $30 in parts (from memory). I also have a design for about $10-$15, which I haven't tried yet. Still prototyping

Here are my experiences with it in an NP auto:

1. It certainly works
          2. The marrying of the auto ECU to a manually locked up TC means it doesn't downshift early enough, so I use it with the +- shift selector, and not in D.
          3. You can actually change gears at any time even though it's locked up. Not as smooth though, but not too rough either
          4. Noticeable low vibration under low RPM (i.e 2000) load.
          5. BEST OF ALL: significantly increases engine breaking down-hill
          6. It WILL stall the engine if left on when you stop
          6. You need to be able to easily switch it off. When you're on a rough track on a down-hill the car can be thrown about lots, making it difficult to 'find' the switch if you need to slow down or stop due to terrain.
          7. I don't use it around town. Too much mucking around to bother.
          8. When turned on, it 's like driving a manual

Haven't tried long distance road run with it on yet to compare fuel economy, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference really...depends on circumstances. I could see a 3rd gear heavy tow would make a big difference, but I don't need that.

I can't see my transmission temp so can't comment on that.

I tow a Jayco camper, but the main use for me is steep hill descents on hills that are suitable. i.e. ones that are a steady speed down, not start, crawl,stop.

May not be all the same in an Challenger, but hope this helps with a decision. I can see the Wholesale Auto design is pretty much the same as mine.
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• collinandkerry
            • Feb 2012
            • ballarat

Totally agree with you m and m works exactly the same as the pajero had one in our previous one
            2012 challenger, base mod, auto, opposite lock winch bar, maxxis 980 tyres, winch, snorkle, duel batteries, t/c lockup, ipf lights, king springs, poly air bags, dvd players in head rest (keeps the kids happy), brown davis under guards, scan guage, tekonsha brake control, tow bar,

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Like "m and m", I have been playing with this for some time. Here is a link to the post;

I have found, on the internet, some interesting adaptions that include using a separate foot operated switch or fitting an additional switch to the brake pedal to improve the user friendliness of the activation and deactivation.
              I have yet to find a system that mirrors the "Pulse Width Modulation" of the original system which I believe is designed take the load of the torque convertor. The Challenger's AT ECU apparently will go out on a fault code if the the TC is fully locked up for more than 4 minutes, so I am not sure how the aftermarket TC lockup kits get around this. Maybe it is the resistor in these kits that prevents the TC from 100% lock up and tricks the AT ECU so a fault code is not generated.

Some Forum members have had no issues and others have had major issues $$$$$ using TC lockup kits on Pajero's, I am am thinking the jury is still out on how safe they are in the longterm particularly when used in high load conditions for extended periods.

cheers, old Jack.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• MikeL
                • Apr 2011
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                I have yet to find a system that mirrors the "Pulse Width Modulation" of the original system which I believe is designed take the load of the torque convertor. The Challenger's AT ECU apparently will go out on a fault code if the the TC is fully locked up for more than 4 minutes, so I am not sure how the aftermarket TC lockup kits get around this.
                Shouldn't be too hard to knock up a PWM signal generator using an aduino that kicks out every 3:59 to keep the ECU happy. Could even get fancier and have it disengage when AT temp gets too high. I am thinking it would also be nice to lock up the TC and keep the AT ECU from its frightening habit if changing to second and racing down the hill. Sort of a poor mans hill descent mode. No promises but I will have a go at it over the summer (no time now).

Comment

• picard
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2011
                  • wollongong

[QUOTE=MikeL;332427]Shouldn't be too hard to knock up a PWM signal generator using an aduino that kicks out every 3:59 to keep the ECU happy. Could even get fancier and have it disengage when AT temp gets too high. I am thinking it would also be nice to lock up the TC and keep the AT ECU from its frightening habit if changing to second and racing down the hill. Sort of a poor mans hill descent mode. No promises but I will have a go at it over the summer (no time now).[/

Good to see someone who knows there electronics
                  mods, bridgestone 694 LT 265/65, ulitmate suspension 2 in with poly airbags, side awning

Comment

• MikeL
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by picard View Post

Good to see someone who knows there electronics
                    Yeah, but I am not so sure I want to plug whatever I make into to my ECU. Blowing up an LED or a servo makes me swear, but if I blow up the car, the missus will kill me.

Comment

• 260DET
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2012
                      • Brisbane

The PB auto needs something to sort the transmission out when towing at highway speeds, that's for sure. That and drive by wire results in a lack of feel and predictability when using the throttle under load which often results in what seem to be several pointless and annoying gear shifts. In other words the auto in some situations shifts far too much which can't be good for it or fuel economy.

Would a torque converter lockup help? Preferably from someone here who can come up with an improved design at a reasonable price, hint, hint It may be possible to connect such a device to the car's own speed sensor so that it kicks out at say 10kph.

Link to details of a home made one for a Patrol http://www.chaz.yellowfoot.org/Locku...s%20Switch.htm
                      Last edited by 260DET; 13-11-13, 11:52 AM.
                      Richard.......MY12 silver base model auto rear driver tow truck and shopping trolley. Bilsteins, Firestone rear air bags, HR towbar, Scangauge II and aftermarket reverse camera/GPS navigation unit. SOLD

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2007
                        • Brisbane

I would settle for something that make the TC lockup 25% "quicker". I just hate how it seems to drop out at the slightest acceleration. I know the gear box would be a little less smooth, however I would be very happy with the tradeoff.
                        NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• Andrei.s
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Sydney

hi guys,
                          sorry to bother this old thread, there are hundreds of themaround forum so at the end of the day shouldn't be any difference... i hope

what about tiptronic in manual mode? does it mean TC is constantly locked?

thanks again

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Adelaide, South Australia.

No TC will only lockup up in 4th above 65kph with a steady accelerator and 5th will lockup at 71kph with a steady accelerator. It will unlock with the slightest change of accelerator pedal position.

For more reading:

cheers, old Jack.
                            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Andrei.s
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                              No TC will only lockup up in 4th above 65kph with a steady accelerator and 5th will lockup at 71kph with a steady accelerator. It will unlock with the slightest change of accelerator pedal position.

For more reading:

cheers, old Jack.
                              thanks buddy...

could be TC the reason why time to time 1st gear doesn't turn on
                              in some downhill places it's very dangerous

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X