• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2008
    • Sydney

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
    I know the reason why, but to drive from the rock to Giles (Warakurna) and back, just to tick a box is a big impost. Lassiter's Cave and the scenery of the Rawlinson's are brilliant. There's some great space and Len Beadell stuff at the met bureau there, but that's about it. That said, Giles is about a magnitude greater than Docker River, but 2 times nothing, still equals nothing.

But I do understand, sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    Thanks for the info sharkcaver.

We had planned to camp at Docker River but the reports of the camp ground are far from good.
    Still on the cards though, depending on times and dates. Lassiter's Cave is also on the list.

If it was just my mate and I we'd swag it on the side of the road. Kids and wives bring different needs.
    The Warakurna roadhouse looks like a better option for all atm.
    Last edited by Phil; 03-06-19, 02:16 PM.
    MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Phil View Post
      The Warakurna roadhouse looks like a better option for all atm.
      This article maybe of interest.

Do you still need Land Council permits to visit Lassisters Cave and to bush camp in this area?

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Phil
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2008
        • Sydney

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Do you still need Land Council permits to visit Lassisters Cave and to bush camp in this area?

OJ.
        OJ, thanks for the link.

Permits are required for the trip to Docker river which includes the cave.
        Another one from the boarder to Warakurna Roadhouse.
        MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

OJ.

Yes, you will need 2 permits - central land council for NT, Ngaanyatjarra land council for WA. Both zero cost, just administrative bull crap, available online or in Alice. Ensure the permits describe you are traversing the GCR to Laverton. You will be grilled entering uluru NP - Trust me, It's not worth the hassle stating you are going to Warakurna and returning.

Make sure you get them, or you will be slugged for entering the Uluru NP. Make sure they know you are not stopping in the park, just travelling thru to WA.There is no issues with payment or permits coming from the West, the "toll gate" is only when travelling to the West from Yulara.

For the record, Lassiters cave is within an aboriginal reserve/community. I would be reluctant to camp there (unsure if the community is occupied).

Your permit permits you a maximum of 30 meters off the road verge to camp.....a load of bollocks, but there you have it.

I for one would not camp at the Docker river campsite, nor the Warakurna Van park, but that is my opinion.

30 Meters, yeah right!
          Last edited by sharkcaver; 07-06-19, 11:03 PM.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Phil
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2008
            • Sydney

SC, Thanks for the heads up on traversing the GCR to Laverton.

Depeding on travel times we'll stay at Warakurna road house or head back and camp on the side of the road.

Comment

• Phil
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2008
              • Sydney

We are back, what an epic 4.5 weeks out on the roads & tracks

9200 K'S travelled in the NP, NT is still in SA staying with family.

Will sort the photo's and post some up in the coming days.

The Pajeros did really well and loved the Simpson, must be that Dakar DNA in them.

Fuel used from Mt Dare via, Dalhousie, Rig, WAA, Lone gum, Knolls, French, Poeppel, QAA to Birdsville.
              NP 104 L
              NT 95 L (too be comfirmed with James)

Damage report -

NP
              - Drivers rear puncture on return from WA boarder run - Tyredog warning saved the day
              - Passanger front seat belt locked - Strpped down and working fine after a dust & sand blow out

NT
              - Rock into the front windscreen, lower left. 200m from the bitumen of Kings Canyon
              - Drivers front shock punched through the top washer after hitting a bull dust covered hole on the Old Strezelecki track. Took it easy into Cameron corner and onto the black top of Broken Hill.

We all had a great time and got to see some amazing places.
              Along with ticking of a visit or stay in all mainland states and territories
              Meet some great people and a few, the world revolves around me types as you do.

A full trip report is coming after I get over the shock of not being out on the tracks.

Comment

• dean
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007

Great stuff...heading off that way again on Sunday.
                Dean
                NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X