• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HYDRO FAN
    • Nov 2009
    • Adelaide

Flashing centre diff light.

Just bought a 2005 3.8 manual Pajero, as soon as I hit 100kph on the open road the centre diff light flashes, if I stop and restart the motor all is well until I hit about 100 again. around town it doesn't flash at all.
    A friends auto version does the same thing, he says its normal. Cant find much in the owners book about it.
    Getting a bit worried as my NL doesn't do it. Any suggestions?
  • Having Fun
    • Jun 2015
    • Adelaide

I can't help, but it's definitely not normal.

Comment

• RUGGA
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by HYDRO FAN View Post
      Just bought a 2005 3.8 manual Pajero, as soon as I hit 100kph on the open road the centre diff light flashes, if I stop and restart the motor all is well until I hit about 100 again. around town it doesn't flash at all.
      A friends auto version does the same thing, he says its normal. Cant find much in the owners book about it.
      Getting a bit worried as my NL doesn't do it. Any suggestions?
      As Having Fun says, its not normal and its probably the most commonly asked question in the Gen3 section. Its probably the front diff solenoids under the air box but have you tried reading the trouble codes?

02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• markandliz
        • Jul 2009
        • Perth WA

The most common problem is the solenoid valve under the airbox. Prices are cheap on eBay, the solenoid takes vacuum pressure off of the Inlet Manifold its worth checking all vacuum hoses making sure there no splits. There is also a vacuum unit that sits close to the front diff which operates a leaver to engage the front diff, which has been known to seize.

As said most common is the solenoid under the airbox

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

If it was something to do with the front solenoids I would expect flashing front lights before the flashing centre diff.

If everything is happy until the centre light starts flashing, and it only ever happens above 100km/h, I'd be suspecting tyre differences.

Are all the tyres a matching set of similar age, or do you have a bit of a mix? Have you checked tyre pressures?
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• RUGGA
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2014
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            If it was something to do with the front solenoids I would expect flashing front lights before the flashing centre diff.
            That would make sense but it is not how the lights operated on mine. Solenoids were the problem and only Center light starts flashing.

Hydro, try putting the car in 4H, go for the same sort of drive that would normally trigger the light. Let us know what happens with the light (should not come on) OR you could just test the solenoids by applying 12v directly to terminals and listen for a click? (if you are so inclined)
            Last edited by RUGGA; 02-03-19, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• uditha
              • Oct 2015
              • Carigieburn, Vic

Originally posted by RUGGA View Post
              That would make sense but it is not how the lights operated on mine. Solenoids were the problem and only Center light starts flashing.

Hydro, try putting the car in 4d, go for the same sort of drive that would normally trigger the light. Let us know what happens with the light (should not come on) OR you could just test the solenoids by applying 12v directly to terminals and listen for a click? (if you are so inclined)
              Second that. I found out one of the solenoids was faulty by applying 12v directly from battery. First and the easiest check.
              2002 Pajero NM Exceed, 3.5Lt, 5 SP Auto
              Uniden UH7760NB CB Radio, 20" Slim LED Light Bar, Kings Awning, Stock size A/T tyres

Comment

• Bywaysnothighways
                • Jul 2018
                • USA

Similar issue

My 2004 has done something similar since I’ve had it ( about 1 year). After I drive about 10-15 miles the center diff light flashes orange and the other tire lights turn off. Once this happens I can’t change for 2wd to 4wd unless I turn it off and back on again. It’s mostly a sight annoyance but I’d love to figure out what happens after 10 or so miles that causes it. For mine it is not related to speed at all.

Comment

• RUGGA
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • Adelaide

try putting the car in 4H, go for the same sort of drive that would normally trigger the light. Let us know what happens with the light (should not come on) OR you could just test the solenoids by applying 12v directly to terminals and listen for a click? (if you are so inclined)
                  Originally posted by Bywaysnothighways View Post
                  My 2004 has done something similar since I’ve had it ( about 1 year). After I drive about 10-15 miles the center diff light flashes orange and the other tire lights turn off. Once this happens I can’t change for 2wd to 4wd unless I turn it off and back on again. It’s mostly a sight annoyance but I’d love to figure out what happens after 10 or so miles that causes it. For mine it is not related to speed at all.
                  Give this a try Or run the fault codes

Comment

• RUGGA
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • Adelaide

I’d love to figure out what happens after 10 or so miles that causes it.
                    The faulty solenoid does not hold the vacuum needed to keep the front diff actuator in 2H only. Default resting position is 4H i.e. - car switched off.

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

The faulty solenoid does not hold the vacuum needed to keep the front diff actuator in 2H only. Default resting position is 4H i.e. - car switched off.
                      If the actuator loses vacuum while you're driving there's no mistaking the fault.

In 2H the two sides of the actuator are spinning in opposite directions. If vacuum is lost and the free-wheeling clutch attempts to engage while the wheels are turning it makes a horrible noise.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• RUGGA
                        Valued Member
                        • Nov 2014
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                        If the actuator loses vacuum while you're driving there's no mistaking the fault.

In 2H the two sides of the actuator are spinning in opposite directions. If vacuum is lost and the free-wheeling clutch attempts to engage while the wheels are turning it makes a horrible noise.
                        Once again NJ, I have read all that very often and was going to include it but my car never behaved that way - no noise just the regular consistencies of the light coming on under certain conditions -

Edit = It is factual and all relevant though.
                        Last edited by RUGGA; 02-03-19, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Bywaysnothighways
                          • Jul 2018
                          • USA

Give this a try Or run the fault codes
                          Yes I have already done this test in 4wd during long trail days and you are correct it will not go into flashing mode.

Are you saying that when I’m in 2wd and the flashing starts it is going into 4wd?

I have scan gauge and this doesn’t show up any fault codes.

Comment

• Bywaysnothighways
                            • Jul 2018
                            • USA

So is the fix to just replace this solenoid?

Comment

• RUGGA
                              Valued Member
                              • Nov 2014
                              • Adelaide

So is the fix to just replace this solenoid?

For my situation, yes. Very easy to test the 2 solenoids; (under the air filter box) simply apply 12v directly to them 1 at a time and you should hear a definite Click.

There can be many more issues like cracked or leaking hoses or the vac canister or the actuator etc but this is easy to test and often is the prob.

Out of curiosity, is yours making a grinding noise when the light starts to flash or until you need to switch it off ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X