X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhymus3
    • Jun 2008

Your thoughts please

I'll start by saying I have my suspicions already but here are the symptoms:

My 92 NH 3.0 litre has been losing a small amount of coolant for the last few months. Nothing to worry about just top up the overflow every so often. Changed oil and filter mid September. No water in oil. I change oil and filter every 5000 KM. No visible bubbles in radiator. Never gets hot apart from last Saturday on a steady climb of about 2 KM. Didn't boil, just read higher on gauge. Checked fan clutch, found it was free spinning. Fitted new clutch on Monday, all good. Yesterday, checked oil and water. Oil okay, water low. Radiator full. Topped up overflow. Checked water again tonight, water low in overflow, radiator full. Topped up water, went for a drive of about 15-20 KMS. Checked water after I got back, all okay. Removed radiator cap while running, no pressure, no visible bubbles. Turned her off, went and had tea. Checked water again after she had cooled right down. Radiator still full, overflow was at the low mark. Where is it going? I reckon head gasket because there was the tiniest bit of milky stuff up high on the dipstick. She runs like a beauty, good power, smooth idle. Any thoughts?
  • Matatak
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2008
    • Perth

My thoughts - Take it to a mechanic and ask for a Teekay Test and for them to pressure test it.

otherwise could be a water pump leak but you should see water dripping eventually.
    05 NP DiD Auto. 265/75R16, OME Suspension, ARB Dlx B/Bar, Warn Zeon 10-S, IPF HID's, Rear Drawer Setup, Pioneer Platform Rack, ARB 78l Fridge, GME TX3520SW UHF.

Comment

• rhymus3
      • Jun 2008

Pardon the ignorance, but what is a Teekay test?

Comment

• Gasolinejunkie
        • Sep 2009
        • Melbourne

Its to check for traces of exhaust gasses in the radiator. Sometimes, exhaust gasses can escape out of the combustion chamber and into the water jacket and water that seeps into the combustion chamber goes out through the exhaust.

Comment

• rhymus3
          • Jun 2008

Thanks. I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X