• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paulybabe
    • Mar 2016
    • Adelaide

Connecting LED spots

Hi mate of mine wants me to connect up his 2 new LED lights on his PS.
    I know the Pajero has a convenient hole to run cables through but I can't seem to find one on the PS.
    Has anyone have experience in wiring up spottys on a PS?
    He ordered the lights from 4WD super centre and they came with a wiring loom kit.
    Looks straight forward.
    Guess I will have to wire these babies up via the high beam.
    BTW the lights look pretty impressive for $209 for the pair, gosh how do they do it?
    Mrs: MY16 Pajero NX GLS DiD Auto (white), Boos bash plates, MM steel bull bar, rock sliders, catch can, D697 A/T, Redarc towpro, Airbag Man Heavy duty bags.
    Me: 2015 Mercedes Vito 113 SWB
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

If simply wiring to high beam, consider using "add a circuit" fuse taps to avoid cutting into wires.
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Paulybabe
      • Mar 2016
      • Adelaide

Yeah got them already but passing the 2 wires through the firewall for the spotlight switch is what I'm concerned about.
      I don't like reinventing the wheel.
      Mrs: MY16 Pajero NX GLS DiD Auto (white), Boos bash plates, MM steel bull bar, rock sliders, catch can, D697 A/T, Redarc towpro, Airbag Man Heavy duty bags.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Someone on here once mentioned a "wireless" remote switch for this, but I never managed to find one - I might have to try searching fleabay again..........I simply wired my LED bar to the high beam, but it is so bright I can't flash my lights at "high beam idiots" without blinding them!

Edit: found one, but a bit more complicated remote than I wanted:
        Last edited by spot01; 27-06-16, 02:03 PM.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Paulybabe
          • Mar 2016
          • Adelaide

Thanks, switch looks cool.

Comment

• Arcticsoldier
            • Mar 2015
            • Australia

My method is not easier but does not require splicing. Use a relay connected to parkers for power with switch inside cabin for on/off. Run directly off battery.
            2013 Ninja 300
            Ford Everest Titanium MY17 - Rhino racks, Rola titan tray, Provent 200 catch can, Donaldson prefilter, HIDs allround

Comment

• pauld
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2010
              • Melbourne

Using the parkers for power and a switch.....
              So you turn the spots on & off independent of the high beam?!
              2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• Jas2909
                • Feb 2016
                • Penrith NSW

I ran all of my wires thru the large grommet on the drivers side, where the steering is

Comment

• Georgie
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Secret Harbour WA

Originally posted by Arcticsoldier View Post
                  My method is not easier but does not require splicing. Use a relay connected to parkers for power with switch inside cabin for on/off. Run directly off battery.

I seem to remember this method as being illegal as spots should only come on with high beam and should be able to be turned off with a separate switch
                  Cheers
                  Georgie
                  2015 Sahara
                  Black Mica in colour
                  BFG A/T 275x70x18s Black Widow drawers Redark dual battery system GME CB radio Redarc Tow Prow Elite

Wish List lots

SOLD 2013 GLX- R Pajero

Comment

• Arcticsoldier
                    • Mar 2015
                    • Australia

Originally posted by Georgie View Post
                    [/COLOR]
                    I seem to remember this method as being illegal as spots should only come on with high beam and should be able to be turned off with a separate switch
                    Cheers
                    Georgie
                    Wiring it to the parkers with the relay is only half. It doesnt turn on the lights. The switch inside the cabin (on/off) completes the circuit. I guess its like having 2 switches. Parker must be on and the 2nd switch must be turn on for it to work. Parkers off with switch on doesnt turn on the light.
                    I was told by the mitsu dealer about wiring it to highbeams but my thoughts were "why limit its uses for in high beam only?"
                    2013 Ninja 300
                    Ford Everest Titanium MY17 - Rhino racks, Rola titan tray, Provent 200 catch can, Donaldson prefilter, HIDs allround

Comment

• bakerboy
                      "valued 3000+ member"
                      • May 2008
                      • Perth

Originally posted by Arcticsoldier View Post
                      Wiring it to the parkers with the relay is only half. It doesnt turn on the lights. The switch inside the cabin (on/off) completes the circuit. I guess its like having 2 switches. Parker must be on and the 2nd switch must be turn on for it to work. Parkers off with switch on doesnt turn on the light.
                      I was told by the mitsu dealer about wiring it to highbeams but my thoughts were "why limit its uses for in high beam only?"
                      Again, not legal, and rather inconsiderate if using them on a main road

Tap into the high beam, do it properly
                      If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Paulybabe
                        • Mar 2016
                        • Adelaide

Thanks, I am doing this job for my friend this morning. See how I go. My intention is indeed to connect the spots via the high beam. Can't believe how well built these lights are for the price...gosh!

Comment

• glids37
                          • Feb 2016
                          • Banksia Park S.A.

I used the following method:
                          1. use piggy-back fuse (add a fuse etc) on Fuse 14 under the bonnet to take power from the high beam circuit to the LED light switch.
                          2. wires can enter firewall through large rubber grommet/seal adjacent to the steering column.
                          3. power from the switch (item 1 above) goes to a relay which can draw power from any suitable source with minimum 20A fuse inline. See Note* below.

I have attached my wiring diagram. You will need to follow the wiring that applies to the LED Lightbar - I'm not planning to draw a separate diagram just for the Lights.

Note*. It is always advisable to fit a diode 'backwards' across the relay coil to nullify any back EMF created when the relay operates. The back EMF can damage other components nearby.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
                          glids
                          Attached Files
                          QE Pajero Sport GLX: Snorkel, BOOS Bash Plates, Nudge Bar, LED Light Bar, Allin Towbar, Redarc TowPro Elite Brake Controller, Uniden UHF, and other fruit.

Comment

• Swoffa
                            • Mar 2016
                            • Sydney

Originally posted by glids37 View Post
                            I used the following method:

I have attached my wiring diagram. You will need to follow the wiring that applies to the LED Lightbar - I'm not planning to draw a separate diagram just for the Lights.
                            Thanks for sharing that, it's really helpful for a novice like me.

Slightly off topic - but I want to install a 50A Anderson plug in the cargo area to charge my Thumper Elite 80ah removable second battery which will live in the cargo area 90% of the time and power accessories (charging devices while camping, and possibly a fridge at some stage).
                            The Thumper has an isolator built in, so do I just connect directly from the battery to an Anderson plug in the cargo area? (with a circuit breaker near the battery end)

Comment

• glids37
                              • Feb 2016
                              • Banksia Park S.A.

If you have a look at the wiring diagram I attached, you will see how I hooked up to my second battery using a Dual Battery Controller (DBC).

There are posts on the forum (see Dual battery & brake controller?) that indicate you should use a DC/DC charger due to the type of alternator fitted to the Paj Sport. So far, I have found my DBC is keeping the 55Ah AGM second battery topped up fine.

Whatever you do, make sure there are adequate fuses or circuit breakers on any (+ve terminal) connection to any battery. It is best to put these protection devices as close to the battery terminal as possible to minimize unprotected cable lengths.

Cheers,
                              glids
                              QE Pajero Sport GLX: Snorkel, BOOS Bash Plates, Nudge Bar, LED Light Bar, Allin Towbar, Redarc TowPro Elite Brake Controller, Uniden UHF, and other fruit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X