• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bernardo
    • Oct 2020
    • Gold coast

Replace or not replace the timing belt

Hey guys, I'm new in the 4wd. And I'm starting with a pajero gls 2002.
    I bought the car without a log book.
    So I'm going through some things before going to Fraser island next week. I am installing a new radiador and a drive belt. Since I working on this I also checking the timing belt.

It doesn't look bad, but I'm not sure if I should change anyway only to play safe. I'm attaching some photos in case os someone could help me.
    And another thing that make me worie is that the timing belt cover has a crack and the rober seals are to old and falling apart.

Photos
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

How many kilometres on the car?
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

You're right, it does not look too bad at all to me.

But you'll never really rest easy until you know it's been changed I guess!
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• Bernardo
        • Oct 2020
        • Gold coast

The car has 330 km. And the old owner only had it for a few months and doesn't now when was changed

Comment

• Scooby
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Ipswich, Qld.

Yes looks fairly new . Timing belt replacement interval is every 100,000kms.
          But if you change it you will know for sure and also piece of mind.
          Also your water pump looks like it is starting to leak. I change my water pumps with the timing belt to be on the safe side as it is a PIA job to do. Also on the water pump I use a genuine o-ring on the pipe that goes into the back of the pump as the first pump I changed came with an o-ring but it swelled up and started to leak within the first 10,000 kms, was not a happy.
          Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 300k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 385k.

Comment

• Bernardo
            • Oct 2020
            • Gold coast

I did order a kit with timing belt, tensioner, seals, idles and pump.

But I was thinking to cancel because I'm a little afraid of damaging something when installing the new parts, I don't have the tools to install the cam and crank seals. And not really experiente on this.

But after what scooby I realized that it does look like the pump is leaking and looks like the coolant start to dry on the top. That green thing in the top of the pump

Comment

• disco stu
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2018
              • Wollongong

Peace of mind and all that.

You don't need special tools for those seals. Just something large enough like a big socket or a bit of pipe to hammer onto to install them. Just use whatever is laying around and will press over the extent of the outside of the seal.

There's only one way to get experienced with this sort of job! If you take your time, plan what you're doing and be intentional then I'm sure you'll be fine. I think you'll find a workshop manual on mitsubishilinks.com that will help. I'm sure there is a write up here on the forums also, and if not the members here can all talk you through it. I haven't done NM, but I have on an NL 6g74 and also plenty of other cars.

Ordering through rockauto in the states might save you some coin. I just ordered the same parts for camry v6, plus a heap of wiper blades, tools, pair of oxygen sensors, sealant, silicone etc etc for about $400 incl postage. Timing kit alone was about $120 + postage

Comment

• Bernardo
                • Oct 2020
                • Gold coast

Oh mate I loved the rockauto tip, they do have a good price. But I will need to stay with a near supply, otherwise I would need to put the car together to go to Fraser and dismantle again after to install the belt kit. The 50 dollars difference will be worth this time.

And I also want to thank everyone for the advices. I've been struggling, wondering looking around and going anywhere before. But the information that I guys gave is huge help to clarify what I need to do.

I will research about a workshop manual, maybe last time I didn't dig deep enough. If someone now where I can find the manual or any information that will help me to move from here would be great

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

Have a look at the back face of the belt. There should be some labelling on the face eg the brand name and the model number etc. If that is still on the belt, it is relatively new. the back of the belt runs around the water pump pulley and if it has been in use for a while, the numbering etc will have worn off.. No big deal, but if it is still there, it is probably a near new belt. And no - I don't know how long it takes to wear the printing off the belt.

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

Looks like NM and NP are on there.

I thought similar to Erad, and the writing seems to be still on the belt and very clear.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X