• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Beach Driving and Quicksand

Found an intereseting article on the ABC news site about the dangers of beach travel. Well worth a read..

The genuine threat of quicksand on parts of Tasmania's west coast is invisible and deadly and in one case trapped an entire convoy of cavalier four-wheel drivers when they disregarded warnings from locals of the danger.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money
  • Pwoffey
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Adelaide

Yeah Dicko, I saw that story too, a timely reminder. In March we were on the west coast of Tassie, just before the COVID-19 closures, and we started to do the run from Temma south to Sandy Cape. Got to the Thornton River, it was probably a bit too wide and deep for a safe crossing anyway, but I did a bit of a trial wade into the stream near the outlet and very quickly found myself in extremely soft sand that had me well up my knees before I knew it, with no end in sight. Retreated very quickly and awkwardly, and pointed the vehicles back for a nice picnic on the coast back towards Temma. I could easily see how that terrain might swallow a 4WD with no possibility of recovery.
    BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Now that is SCARY. To swallow a horse! I don't like driving on sand at the best of times, but this convinced me not to do it - at least on the West Coast of Tasmania.

Comment

• Dicko1
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2014
        • Cairns, FNQ

Driven on soft white sand a few times and some ordinary sand beaches when having to get to remote coastal aboriginal communities. Got bogged a few times but airing down got me out. Dont particularly like sand driving. Quicksand is a whole new world though. The clip is indeed a timely reminder of just how dangerous wet sand can be. Think I,ll stick to the hard roads of North Queensland. Wonder how,d you go for insurance as well.
        Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• El_Freddo
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2018
          • Bridgewater, Vic

Insane! I never knew this existed in Australia. Thanks for sharing Dicko!

On the contrary to others, I love sand driving but am yet to do it in the Pajero - it’s coming soon though! My Subi loves the sand unless it’s super soft and we’re geared up for touring. If we were day tripping it’s pretty sweet.

Locals know best - always good to listen to them!

Cheers

Bennie
          2005 NP DiD auto. The family bus. Dual batteries, snorkel, one side step, King Springs lift, Koni shocks, rear airman airbags, Provent catch can, 81L LRA tank (awesome!). Other rides: "Ruby Scoo" my lifted L series Subaru and my "Redback" Targa top Brumby - only mods are 5 poster bullbar and nicer dashboard from a coupe

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X