• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dunk
    • Jan 2008
    • melbourne

Provent200 or HPD catch can

Hi people, dilemma about to buy catch can so many different opinions on which is better.Hpd fit neater with TJM snorkel however from a mechanical side provent 200 better quality filtration.I have seen one mod done to fit provent, using 40mm angle screwed into snorkel also using silkaflex.Has anyone else done this or spend extra $100 to get HPD.
    Also how safe is this to screw into snorkel as per picture below?? and is this safe to do??
    your thought much appreciated..
    Attached Files
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

Recently discussed here. From memory it was the catch can/filter combo

For what it's worth I have a provent 200 and can recommend it.
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
      For what it's worth I have a provent 200 and can recommend it.
      And I have the HPD and recommend anything else.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

Provent200 or HPD catch can

Let’s not forget the “study” for what it’s worth. Mentioned under “Catch can efficiency testing” heading in this one:

Edit: Study link here https://www.sae.org/publications/tec...03-12-01-0001/

OP you mention “better quality filtration” so I assume you’ve seen that study, but it seems to be a significant difference right? Is it worth spending so much for something that barely does it job, just for the sake of “having a catch can”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Dunk
          • Jan 2008
          • melbourne

so from what l have read provent 200 is the better catch can with filter. So now to the fitting as l have a TJM snorkel. In my first post with photo have seen piece of angle screwed and silkaflex added to snorkel where it comes into back of air box.
          Has anyone else done this to there pajero with TJM snorkel as l want to make sure it will hold safely and not cause any problems

Comment

• Dunk
            • Jan 2008
            • melbourne

Just found this on facebook pajero site.Another way to mount provent neat job as well,so this look a bit better. So l hope this helps others who want to mount a provent with TJM snorkel.
            Attached Files

Comment

• grhyso
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Perth

Originally posted by Dunk View Post
              Just found this on facebook pajero site.Another way to mount provent neat job as well,so this look a bit better. So l hope this helps others who want to mount a provent with TJM snorkel.
              Really handy thanks Dunk, I have this exact issue and have always wondered how to fit a provent cleanly!
              2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• _jp_
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2013
                • Adelaide Hills, SA

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                And I have the HPD and recommend anything else.
                Same with my HPD catch can, it doesn't catch squat. Wish I'd got the Provent.
                NW GLXR - SOLD
                --------------
                EVO 6 TME

Comment

• oscaroo
                  • Dec 2017
                  • Sydney

My HPD only catches small amounts. maybe … 50mL every 15000km?
                  the "advantage" is that I only have to empty it during service.

What it does catch is very blotchy and gooey so maybe it grabs most of the trash but .. idk.
                  I'm not going to go swap catch cans. Ask me in a decade to see how blocked things got

Comment

• Dunk
                    • Jan 2008
                    • melbourne

Have finally bought the provent 200 catch can after much deliberation. Bought from western filters will make my own bracket to fit it as l have TJM snorkel.Will post photos and measurements of bracket once l start to fit it thanks for your help

Comment

• Two Emms
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2020
                      • Mansfield, Vic

Thank goodness you are going make a bracket. The idea of putting screws into the snorkel just seems fraught with danger
                      Unless it was done with bolts and had large washers, I reckon the screws would work loose. This and the fact that a plastic tube (the snorkel pipe) simply may not be thick enough to support the catch can, means that a proper supporting bracket is the only way to go.

Just my opinion
                      2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Dunk
                        • Jan 2008
                        • melbourne

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
                        Thank goodness you are going make a bracket. The idea of putting screws into the snorkel just seems fraught with danger
                        Unless it was done with bolts and had large washers, I reckon the screws would work loose. This and the fact that a plastic tube (the snorkel pipe) simply may not be thick enough to support the catch can, means that a proper supporting bracket is the only way to go.

Just my opinion
                        my exact thoughts as well so will make bracket to run off firewall.will strengthen it to make it more rigid fingers crossed

Comment

• Kingbrown
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Port Augusta - SA

On the subject of crankcase ventilation and the collection of oily vapours, can someone tell me what's inside the chamber that's integral to the rocker cover of my 4D56T engine ?

The chamber must be transited by gases before they exit via the pcv connection. There's a small hole hole that drains to the deck of the valve gear.

Underside of rocker cover:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20200730_132412.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	985820
                          2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Two Emms
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2020
                            • Mansfield, Vic

I have seen this before. I believe its just a sort of baffle to allow some of the vapours to condense out before reaching the PCV valve.Hence the little drain hole back to the valve gear.

Or it may be filled with ground unicorn horn as a filter

(Sorry for that. In Victoria at the moment its just a matter of having a laugh when you can.)

Comment

• Dunk
                              • Jan 2008
                              • melbourne

Hi guys just got delivery of my catch can.So have had a look at bracket they supply time to modify this bracket.After some measuring and cutting this is what l have come up with. Hope thiz helps other people will show more once fitted up
                              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X