Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

OME lift kit for 2014 LWB - correct kit and adjustable control arms? (in Norway)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gravel Seeker
    • Apr 2019
    • Norway

OME lift kit for 2014 LWB - correct kit and adjustable control arms? (in Norway)

Hi

I'm a novice and need some assistance here.
    Here is in Norway and in order to lift a vehicle here (or in the EU) and get it engineered and legal, the suspension kit needs TÜV approval. I first checked one place for a Dobinson kit, but they said it didn't have TÜV approval. AFAIK the only kit that has TÜV is this one from OME:

OME kit Mitsubishi Pajero Gen-4, 2007-, long, diesel, 40/50mm f/b
    Part Number: OMEKPAJ07LWB

Pack content

Front and rear springs

1.00 x OME COIL SPRING MITS PAJERO NM FRONT
    Part Number: OME2914
    1.00 x OME COIL SPRING MITSUBISHI PAJERO NM 2007- REAR
    Part Number: OME3110

Front and rear shocks
    2.00 x SPORT STRUT PAJERO NS ON FRONT
    Part Number: OME90006

2.00 x SPORT SHOCK PAJERO NM REAR
    Part Number: OME60019

I'm going to order it on Monday I think.
    (It's on sale now at AUD2.185,- and regular price is AUD3.120,- so a good saving)

BUT

Is this kit suitable? Is 40mm front and 50mm rear lift normal for these kits?

From what I can work out it's a medium load kit. I won't be towing much and not very heavy if I do.

My max gross weight I estimate to be max 2900-2950kg all in (Max legal gross weight is 3030kg acc to the registration). I'm at 2600kg now with full 4-part skid plates.

Also, do I need need anything else to fit this kit? Like longer brake lines or ABS sensor cables or adjustable upper control arms or or or?

How hard is it to fit it yourself? Can I do it with regular garage hand tools, or do I need any special stuff only a professional shop has? I have access to spring compressors.
    I'll ask the shop how much installation runs, but fear it's a deal breaker. How long do you think a pro shop should use on this installation? (skid plates are not mounted ATM if that makes a difference)

Thanks,

thomas
  • Two Emms
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2020
    • Mansfield, Vic

Hi Thomas,

The amount of lift seems ok. You should search the forum to confirm but I don't think that you will need longer brake hoses or any change to control arm.

I have tried to attach a link to a very good installation guide. I believe most people get the installation done in a day with basic tools and a helper but a mechanic should need 4 to 6 hours.

Hope this helps
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
      • Apr 2019
      • Norway

Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
      Hi Thomas,

The amount of lift seems ok. You should search the forum to confirm but I don't think that you will need longer brake hoses or any change to control arm.

I have tried to attach a link to a very good installation guide. I believe most people get the installation done in a day with basic tools and a helper but a mechanic should need 4 to 6 hours.

Hope this helps
      Thanks. I did try searching, but the search engine yielded no results so had to google on this site and found a few things, but not the thread you linked to
      Also found this youtube "video" that looks helpful

Comment

• Two Emms
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2020
        • Mansfield, Vic

I have seen that YouTube video. It is very accurate and should be enough to help you decide if it is something you would feel capable of doing.
        I notice that the guy installs a 50mm lift kit and doesn't change any brake hoses or other parts.
        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
          • Apr 2019
          • Norway

I have seen that YouTube video. It is very accurate and should be enough to help you decide if it is something you would feel capable of doing.
          I notice that the guy installs a 50mm lift kit and doesn't change any brake hoses or other parts.
          Yeah, I feel confident enough to give it good ol' try at least, but you never know the people making instructions like that forget to mention so good to get some actual feed back

Will give the shop a call tomorrow and place the order. Biggest expense to date on this build.
          Have a thread on it going here

I picked up a 2014 Pajero IV (4) this spring with 90.000kms on the clock and spent the summer starting to build it. Did some sound proofing of the cargo area and built a storage system for it. It's not done yet because 1) I was designing as I was building and 2) I changed the initial design idea...

Comment

• Two Emms
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2020
            • Mansfield, Vic

I had a look at your build thread. Some very nice work there I see you have bought a snorkel. A lot of the threads about suspension fitting mention that the removal of the airbox (to access the strut top) is more difficult if a snorkel has been fitted. Doesn't sound like a big problem but probably means suspension fitting first, snorkel second is easier.

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
              • Apr 2019
              • Norway

I had a look at your build thread. Some very nice work there I see you have bought a snorkel. A lot of the threads about suspension fitting mention that the removal of the airbox (to access the strut top) is more difficult if a snorkel has been fitted. Doesn't sound like a big problem but probably means suspension fitting first, snorkel second is easier.
              Cheers mate, it's slowly getting there. Have a couple of weeks left of wood building to finalize shelving and stuff and I just ordered the OME kit so that'll arrive in 2-3 weeks. Have plans to weld up a frame to carry Maxtax on the back (mounted to the sparewheel carrier).

I've not fitted the snorkel. Don't know if I will either. It's from Spanish manufacturer Bravo which is sold by reputable shops in Europe so not worried about that, but it didn't come with instructions and I can't find any. The Bravo snorkel kit looks a lot like Safari, but the Safari instructions are for right hand drive and it looks like you only have a single battery on your Pajero's from factory? No idea how to mount it since my second battery is where you're supposed to relocate the washer fluid bottle and brackets.

Comment

• Two Emms
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2020
                • Mansfield, Vic

Yep, only one battery for us Would be nice if we got two. One of the most common modifications here is adding a second battery.

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
                  • Apr 2019
                  • Norway

Yep, only one battery for us Would be nice if we got two. One of the most common modifications here is adding a second battery.
                  Not a 2nd cranking batt though, right?
                  Guess the Montero's in Spain also just come with the single battery. Think it's because of our climate that they add the 2nd cranking batt and AFAIK most large diesels come with two cranking batts here.

Comment

• Two Emms
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2020
                    • Mansfield, Vic

No not an extra cranking battery. Usually a deep cycle battery for all the electrical extras like a fridge, camping lights, etc.
                    I suspect a lot of folks who install a second battery here feel some comfort that they have it in case their cranking battery goes flat. Whether it has been installed in such a way that it can be connected to the starter or is even suitable for the job is another matter.

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Norway

No not an extra cranking battery. Usually a deep cycle battery for all the electrical extras like a fridge, camping lights, etc.
                      I suspect a lot of folks who install a second battery here feel some comfort that they have it in case their cranking battery goes flat. Whether it has been installed in such a way that it can be connected to the starter or is even suitable for the job is another matter.
                      Yeah. I have the option to use my third battery (120Ah AGM marine deep cycle) to jump-start the engine if I have to. Chances I'd need to with double cranking batts are slim, but reckon one start won't kill it and regardless a battery is better/ cheaper than being stranded or call for a tow in the bush.

Comment

• henriksi
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Norway

Hei Thomas!

Having just replaced all shocks and springs on my Pajero I also found the youtube video very helpful. The one thing I found out was that I didn't need the ratchet strap after inserting the new rear springs. By placing the jack such that it lifted outwards towards the hub and not backwards I managed to jack it directly into the correct place.
                        The biggest pain was the front struts. I had ordered separately most of the bushings, pads and mounting components but planned to re-use the collar, part no. MR353211. It took me a long time to get it off the old strut, and only managed to do it using an hydraulic press.
                        If your kit comes pre-assembled or with all new mounting equipment you will save yourself some work. I had the OME kit on my previous Pajero and that kit didn't come with any of the front strut bushings or pads, etc.

Henrik

Comment

• Gravel Seeker
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Norway

Originally posted by henriksi View Post
                          Hei Thomas!

Having just replaced all shocks and springs on my Pajero I also found the youtube video very helpful. The one thing I found out was that I didn't need the ratchet strap after inserting the new rear springs. By placing the jack such that it lifted outwards towards the hub and not backwards I managed to jack it directly into the correct place.
                          The biggest pain was the front struts. I had ordered separately most of the bushings, pads and mounting components but planned to re-use the collar, part no. MR353211. It took me a long time to get it off the old strut, and only managed to do it using an hydraulic press.
                          If your kit comes pre-assembled or with all new mounting equipment you will save yourself some work. I had the OME kit on my previous Pajero and that kit didn't come with any of the front strut bushings or pads, etc.

Henrik
                          I'm not planning on replacing anything other than what comes in the kit and AFAIK that's just the four shocks and four springs.
                          If you're close to Moss feel free to lend a hand in 2-3 weeks when the kit arrives
                          The guy I spoke with at BGNor didn't say anything about needing any special tools like a press to do the job myself. He did say they calculated 2 hours per corner at Kr1100, so that's out of the question. The rears can't possibly take that long at least.

Comment

• Two Emms
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2020
                            • Mansfield, Vic

Sorry my link to the forum didn't work. If you put "Suspension install pajero forum" into Google the forum thread will be one of the top results. It's called "How to gen 3 and later suspension install" and shows how to assemble the front struts with spring compressors. With luck the struts will be pre-assembled but if the springs and shock absorbers come separate you will need to assemble them to install.
                            Pretty straightforward

Comment

• henriksi
                              • Jan 2014
                              • Norway

Unfortunately I'm about 600 km away from Moss so that will be difficult
                              As Two Emms writes it's a pretty straightforward job, the stuck collar was my only challenge.

Of course there were some challenges when I had the wheel alignment done afterwards. Just about every adjustment was difficult due to rusted and seized bolts. You gotta love the salted winter roads here in Norway... I was told they were able to do some adjustments so I will try it out before I start cutting bolts and replacing parts.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X