• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hill
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2007
    • Adelaide

Roadside Assistance

Many will be aware that towing limits are imposed by most Roadside Assistance providers.
    My policy indicates towing is available up to 400km round trip from depot however has a heavy vehicle annual limit of $300

I have RAA premium cover and had a look at exclusions. The following is documented in PDS

RAA Premium and Premium Plus Conditions (re Towing) Page 8

¡ The vehicle’s gross weight must be less than four tonnes, other than
    recreational mobile homes which will receive up to $300 per year for towing,
    and other related Premium and Plus benefits that apply to the breakdown
    incident as outlined within this Personal Road Service Guide

Things were looking good until I read page 28

Vehicle Movement Conditions
    ¡ The recovery of vehicles is limited to those that do not exceed any of the
    following physical dimensions:
    – 5.5 metres in length
    – 2.3 metres in width
    – 2 metres in height
    – 1.8 metres wheel span or
    – 2 tonnes gross weight.

Where recovery of vehicles outside these limits is possible, you may be
    required to pay any additional@*$#charges. Wheel changing also has a 2T limit.

So I contacted RAA and ended up having a discussion with the Manager of Roadside Assistance.

Essentially it is up to contractors to set fees when 2T limit is exceeded and it could be interpreted that a vehicle weighing over 2 T has an annual allowance of $300 per year ie heavy vehicle towing.

I doubt that many contractors would forfeit the opportunity of up to 400km round trip for up to a a $300 heavy vehicle limit.

Is your policy fit for purpose?

Would some others please post what their PDS indicates for vehicle weight limit and distance..

Hill

RAC - I phoned 2.5T limit 300km for Ultimate Plus
    RACQ?
    NRMA?
    others
    200 Series
    AOR Quantum 4
  • gemster
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Gold Coast

Well that is interesting... My NL is over 2m high and weighs 2300kg or there abouts from Factory... And you can be sure that the Contractors know this too... Sometimes I think these things are not worth the paper they are written on...

Gemster.....
    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• Hill
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2007
      • Adelaide

RACQ - Ultimate - I phoned 3.5T towing limit 200km
      200 Series
      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Scouter1
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2013
        • Sydney NSW

NRMA Premium Care https://www.mynrma.com.au/cars-and-d...e/premium-care

Cars and trailers
        Assistance for vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes including 4WDs, SUVs and utes, plus trailers up to 2 tonnes such as caravans, boats and more

Free towing
        Up to 50km towing in metro and country areas, 100km in remote areas, or even further with your major breakdown entitlements

Terms & Conditions https://www.mynrma.com.au/-/media/do...2016.pdf?la=en
        2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

My Paj is just under 2.1m (2.08 IIRC), was definitely over 2t (I won’t state how much ), have RAA Premium cover and the contractor didn’t bat an eyelid about 3mths ago.

A new Pajero Exceed has a 2345kg curb weight.

A new Toyota 200s VX has a 2740kg curb weight.

Even a 2017 V8 Commodore Calais (Wagon) is 1820kg dry without fuel - so would be pushing 2t with a tank of fuel and a few bags in the boot for a weekend away.

I’d suggest that this is an outdated policy document that the RAA needs to update!
          Last edited by geopaj; 05-01-18, 02:35 PM.
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by Hill View Post
            Many will be aware that towing limits are imposed by most Roadside Assistance providers.
            My policy indicates towing is available up to 400km round trip from depot however has a heavy vehicle annual limit of $300

I have RAA premium cover and had a look at exclusions. The following is documented in PDS

RAA Premium and Premium Plus Conditions (re Towing) Page 8

¡ The vehicle’s gross weight must be less than four tonnes, other than
            recreational mobile homes which will receive up to $300 per year for towing,
            and other related Premium and Plus benefits that apply to the breakdown
            incident as outlined within this Personal Road Service Guide

Things were looking good until I read page 28

Vehicle Movement Conditions
            ¡ The recovery of vehicles is limited to those that do not exceed any of the
            following physical dimensions:
            – 5.5 metres in length
            – 2.3 metres in width
            – 2 metres in height
            – 1.8 metres wheel span or
            – 2 tonnes gross weight.

required to pay any additional@*$#charges. Wheel changing also has a 2T limit.

So I contacted RAA and ended up having a discussion with the Manager of Roadside Assistance.

Essentially it is up to contractors to set fees when 2T limit is exceeded and it could be interpreted that a vehicle weighing over 2 T has an annual allowance of $300 per year ie heavy vehicle towing.

I doubt that many contractors would forfeit the opportunity of up to 400km round trip for up to a a $300 heavy vehicle limit.

Is your policy fit for purpose?

Would some others please post what their PDS indicates for vehicle weight limit and distance..

Hill

RAC - I phoned 2.5T limit 300km for Ultimate Plus
            RACQ?
            NRMA?
            others
            required to pay any additional
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Hill
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Adelaide

Agree with the MAY

So I asked again

RAA Contact Form

Landing Page

Query
              Roadside Assistance - Weight Limits I'm Confused!! Could you please confirm Towing limits for Roadside Assistance Premium Cower re weight limits. Page 23 of PDS dot point 6 indicates only exclusion is for motor homes over 4T where a heavy vehicle annual limit of $300 applies. Page 28 indicates 2T limit applies. Can you please confirm? You might like to direct this enquiry to someone who deals with policy I have already spoken to Kerry Ann and Jane re this contradiction in PDF. My reading is that my 2.3T pajero is eligible on page 23 and ineligible on page 28.

Take care

Hi,

Your vehicle is eligible to have one of our patrols sent out due to a breakdown as per page 23 as it’s under the 4T limit, however if your vehicle requires towing as its over 2T you would only be entitled to the heavy vehicle towing benefit which is only available on our premium membership and has an annual benefit of up to $300.00

Hope this has helped.

Kind regards,
              XXXXXXX
              Retail Sales Consultant, Retail Contact Centre

RAA Group
              101 Richmond Road, Mile End SA 5031, Australia
              Ph. +61 8 8202 4600 | Fax. +61 8 8202 4630
              We put our members first – quality insurance, road service, travel, motoring services and road safety. Keeping South Australians moving every day.
              200 Series
              AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2014
                • Wellington,New Zealand

Agree with the MAY

So I asked again

RAA Contact Form

Landing Page

Query
                Roadside Assistance - Weight Limits I'm Confused!! Could you please confirm Towing limits for Roadside Assistance Premium Cower re weight limits. Page 23 of PDS dot point 6 indicates only exclusion is for motor homes over 4T where a heavy vehicle annual limit of $300 applies. Page 28 indicates 2T limit applies. Can you please confirm? You might like to direct this enquiry to someone who deals with policy I have already spoken to Kerry Ann and Jane re this contradiction in PDF. My reading is that my 2.3T pajero is eligible on page 23 and ineligible on page 28.

Take care

Hi,

Your vehicle is eligible to have one of our patrols sent out due to a breakdown as per page 23 as it’s under the 4T limit, however if your vehicle requires towing as its over 2T you would only be entitled to the heavy vehicle towing benefit which is only available on our premium membership and has an annual benefit of up to $300.00

Hope this has helped.

Kind regards,
                XXXXXXX
                Retail Sales Consultant, Retail Contact Centre

RAA Group
                101 Richmond Road, Mile End SA 5031, Australia
                Ph. +61 8 8202 4600 | Fax. +61 8 8202 4630
                http://www.raa.com.au
                not 100 percent clear is it
                BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Hill
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2007
                  • Adelaide

Kiwi,

My reading of the PDS is that it contradicts itself.

I doubt that it reflects practice re Roadside Assistance as supported by Geopaj.

NRMA, RAC and RACQ have towing limits that are documented as higher.

Hill

PS Previously I stated that I spoke to the Manager of Roadside Assistance. This is incorrect.

I requested for my phone call to be forwarded to the Manager of Road Side assistance however a further phone call has indicated that this was forwarded to a team leader of roadside assistance.
                  Last edited by Hill; 05-01-18, 09:01 PM.
                  200 Series
                  AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Hill
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Adelaide

And Then I found this

RAA FAQ

An RAA Patrol or Service Provider will attend to your broken down vehicle no matter the size or weight, however, towing/wheel changing for vehicles exceeding 5.5 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 2 metres in height or wheel span of 1.8 metres and exceeds 2 tonnes are excluded from Road Service entitlements.

RAA Premium holders are entitled to $300 p.a. for special equipment where a vehicle cannot be towed under the normal towing limitations.

Hill
                    200 Series
                    AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Hill
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • Adelaide

OVerview of Roadside Assistance By 4X4 Australia

A breakdown in the bush can become an expensive nightmare without the right coverage.

Looks like a fairly comprehensive summary

Hill
                      200 Series
                      AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2014
                        • Wellington,New Zealand

Kiwi,

My reading of the PDS is that it contradicts itself.
                        thats my take too

Comment

• Hill
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Adelaide

2016 Article from Caravan and Motor Home on tour

Looks like this topic has been covered before.
                          200 Series
                          AOR Quantum 4

Comment

• Hill
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • Adelaide

Update:

Raa Roadside Assistance in South Australia has now increased general towing limits from 2T to 3 T in their latest PDS.

Hill
                            200 Series
                            AOR Quantum 4

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X