Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Need an Alternator upgrade for this Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Need an Alternator upgrade for this Setup?

I have a 2000 NM petrol and I'm reading about high amp ratings for basic systems & how you don't get the full rated amps. Out of curiosity & for future planning, is the stock alternator up to the job for the following setup at night time?

A/C running, at least two HID spotties, some large led light bar, a 60L fridge, plus an aux battery with redarc isolator.

Is it an issue with an alternator upgrade like with voltages in my case?

thanks
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • Smiderman
    • Mar 2013
    • Brisbane

Not real sure but think it's a matter of adding up the watts used by all items and apply amps= watts/volts or ampsxvolts =watts and so on and if total amps exceeds that your alternator is capable of then reduce consumption or increase out put.

Comment

• mrbitchi
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Bru9 View Post
      I have a 2000 NM petrol and I'm reading about high amp ratings for basic systems & how you don't get the full rated amps. Out of curiosity & for future planning, is the stock alternator up to the job for the following setup at night time?

A/C running, at least two HID spotties, some large led light bar, a 60L fridge, plus an aux battery with redarc isolator.

thanks
      With a light bar don't go by what the seller tells you. Every one I've measured actually draws much less than advertised, which means you're not actually getting what you pay for. Eg I've got a 120w bar that draws 7amps, which means it's max output is about 90watts. Another one my brother has is a 240watt bar that draws about 9 amps, about 110 watts. Light bars would be one of the biggest rip offs around.
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Bru9
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2014
        • Victoria

Originally posted by Smiderman View Post
        Not real sure but think it's a matter of adding up the watts used by all items and apply amps= watts/volts or ampsxvolts =watts and so on and if total amps exceeds that your alternator is capable of then reduce consumption or increase out put.
        I think you can only use like 70-80% of the rated output & the stock systems already use a large portion so my reading suggests.

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
        With a light bar don't go by what the seller tells you. Every one I've measured actually draws much less than advertised, which means you're not actually getting what you pay for. Eg I've got a 120w bar that draws 7amps, which means it's max output is about 90watts. Another one my brother has is a 240watt bar that draws about 9 amps, about 110 watts. Light bars would be one of the biggest rip offs around.
        Interesting. Rip offs. anyway I judge the bar by its light output with my eyes. And the brand names in aus cost so much, now I will avoid them even more.

Comment

• Easykill1978
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Melbourne Vic

depends

if your car is a diesel, than it wont use much from the alternator (no spark plugs) and it would be easy enough to fit 110amp alternator, or run that on the std alternator, i had no troubles for 3 weeks trip with the stock alternator running all my gizmos and charging my battery i went too 13.4volts with all my stuff on .

you also gen dont drive hundreds of kms at night anyways.

also you cant compare apples with apples when it comes to light bars, you would have to measure luminosity and brightness.

i would allways expect LED light bars to draw less amps than conventional spoties and produce simila/greater levels of light.

its allways best to state if your driving a diesel or petrol (and litre size for petrols) in your signature, saves us guessing.
          My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Bru9
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Victoria

Originally posted by Easykill1978 View Post
            depends

if your car is a diesel, than it wont use much from the alternator (no spark plugs) and it would be easy enough to fit 110amp alternator, or run that on the std alternator, i had no troubles for 3 weeks trip with the stock alternator running all my gizmos and charging my battery i went too 13.4volts with all my stuff on .

you also gen dont drive hundreds of kms at night anyways.

also you cant compare apples with apples when it comes to light bars, you would have to measure luminosity and brightness.

i would allways expect LED light bars to draw less amps than conventional spoties and produce simila/greater levels of light.

its allways best to state if your driving a diesel or petrol (and litre size for petrols) in your signature, saves us guessing.
            Going by the numbers of their electrical systems from some members my petrol would be using alot of the 100amps my alternator can dish out at night. There is no way the left overs could run a few spotties & one large lightbar. Plus a demanding fridge at night. Or two comp units.

I can easily do alot of night driving for what ever reasons. It now seems obvious I will have to get an upgrade eventually.

Comment

• Rainmann
              • Dec 2015
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
              Mr Bitchi, 120 watt and 7 amp load would require 17volts (which is what your light bar is rated for) , 12 volts with a 7 amp load will only produce 85 watts. And 90watts with 7amp load needs 12.8 volts so your lightbar is spot on.
              Output watts of a lightbat is the maximum it can produce if you want to know what you are able to get it's (watts รท amps = volts required ) and you only produce 12.8 volts.
              '02 PA Challenger XS auto petrol -- Custom ECU Tuned.--Bored Out Throttle Body +10mm. -- Modified intake manifold. -- Hurricane Extractors. -- Twin Fuel rail kit. -- 3 inch mandrel exhaust. -- 2 inch lift king springs with airbags incab adjustable. -- Transmission cooler.

Comment

• Shopping Trolley
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Brisbane

Going by the numbers of their electrical systems from some members my petrol would be using alot of the 100amps my alternator can dish out at night. There is no way the left overs could run a few spotties & one large lightbar. Plus a demanding fridge at night. Or two comp units.

I can easily do alot of night driving for what ever reasons. It now seems obvious I will have to get an upgrade eventually.
                Keep in mind that the fridge will not be drawing much at night. My 40L engel draws 4 amps when running but only runs about 1 minute in 10 at night.

I think you will have no issues with the standard alternator.
                2003 NP DiD Auto: 265/75R16 Yokohama Geolander G015 A/T, dual batteries, Kings Springs and Monroe Shocks, to do list that is more expensive than the truck

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

thanks
                  Your worrying over nothing. Your fridge will run off the aux. I doubt very much you will continuously have 2 spotties and lightbar running with traffic and built up areas. A decent lightbar almost negates the use of HID anyway.

Your car will cope fine.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X