• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

Ohh Ollie! You've done it again!

So today the missus and I decided we would head off to the local Renault dealer with a view to trading in her VE Commodore for a Renault Kangoo cargo van. The unfortunate thing was the dealer is also a Nissan dealer and we ended up trading the Commodore on a Y61 Patrol Legend series

I've been looking at these for awhile now as they are a pretty good deal with the included accessories, winch, bullbar, snorkel, sat nav etc. There are only 300 of these built and then thats the end of the Y61 series. This was the last one in Auto at the dealer I went to. The only thing putting me off was the asthmatic 3.0 litre engine, but after driving it, I've decided I can live with it and am looking forward to turning this one into a capable tourer over time.
    I haven't picked it up yet and need to wait for the finance gods to do their thing, but pretty sure it's a done deal and have paid the deposit and signed the papers.
    The missus is happy as she had a sweet spot for the Paj and with some mods like removing the drawers etc she can use it as her cargo carrier for her work. I can also transfer some of the gear over to the patrol as she won't have a need for it. (Dual battery, Shower, Drawers etc.) I'll still be around on here from time to time and will still join in on the odd trip here and there.
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Y61 Patrol I can understand. If you'd signed for a Y62 I'd struggle...

Good solid trucks - they don't come much tougher, or more proven.

My only concern would be the "Grenade" reputation, but I'm fairly sure solutions are available for those who do their research - and I expect you have.

Enjoy.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• aussieintas
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2013
      • Sorell, Tasmania

Bit of a difference between a Kangoo van and a Y61...........
      2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
      88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
      92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
      92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
      99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
      95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
      08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

Good solid trucks - they don't come much tougher, or more proven.

My only concern would be the "Grenade" reputation, but I'm fairly sure solutions are available for those who do their research - and I expect you have.

Enjoy.
        Yep, they are certainly a well proven offroader. From what I can tell most of the "Grenade" motors were in the early series of the ZD30's. I have looked at NADS (Nissan Anti detonation systems) but don't think I'll bother with most of it. I'll certainly look into the usual culprits like EGR blocks and catch cans. I've also elected to take an extended 6yr 150,000 km warranty from Nissan for some piece of mind. Hopefully she'll prove to be as reliable as the Pajero over the next few years.

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
        Bit of a difference between a Kangoo van and a Y61...........
        Hahaha, Yep, lucky they weren't part of the Toyota dealer network, or it might have been a 76 series
        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Nab
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2012
          • Perth

I've had 2 Y61 Patrols, great 4x4 in the rough stuff, I tackled tough obstacles without any worries about breaking anything. With the Pajero I am a bit careful and check tracks before attempting them, the Patrol would just eat it up no probs!!!

But they do drive like trucks, both of mine had upgraded suspension which helped but the Pajero is like a sports car compared to them...

A front locker absolutely transforms them in the ruts and rocks, the rear LSD is really good and if you use the foot brake and accelerator simultaneously climbing ruts it really tightens up.
          SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
          NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• stevemc181
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2012
            • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Nab View Post
            I've had 2 Y61 Patrols, great 4x4 in the rough stuff, I tackled tough obstacles without any worries about breaking anything. With the Pajero I am a bit careful and check tracks before attempting them, the Patrol would just eat it up no probs!!!

But they do drive like trucks, both of mine had upgraded suspension which helped but the Pajero is like a sports car compared to them...

A front locker absolutely transforms them in the ruts and rocks, the rear LSD is really good and if you use the foot brake and accelerator simultaneously climbing ruts it really tightens up.
            Cheers for the info, I'll be looking down the path of a Suspension and GVM Upgrade next week.
            At the moment in WA It looks like my choices may be limited to either Malaga suspensions or Pedders. I am not a big fan of Pedders, but it is looking as though they may be the only mob who do the pre-rego federal mod plate for a GVM upgrade to 3500kg,. anyway I'll investigate it more next week with a few suppliers.

The model I bought also has a rear locker as standard, I think it may be standard on all the Y61's for the past couple of years? I can handle a more truck like drive no problem, so long as it performs well offroad, I'll be happy. Stepping into the cab is like stepping back in time, but it will be modded to suit me soon enough and with any luck the dash won't be trying to jump out the window on the corrugations.

Comment

• stevemc181
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2012
              • Thornlie/Perth

Well she is all approved and on it's way. I have organised a GVM upgrade with Pedders to 3505kg, this gives me revised axle weight limits of 1945kg rear and 1560kg front. The Pedders upgrade includes rear coil tower braces and diff lamination, total cost is $3700 drive in/out includes federal approval plates etc. I haven't used the Pedders gear before, so will be an interesting exercise.

I called a few other of the well know suspension places around Perth and they can only do up to 3300kg increase due to a crackdown by WA Authorities which began in December. They now cannot exceed the axle limits without axle weight analysis and strengthening as required. The prices for an upgrade to 3300kg were about the same as the one from Pedders but did not include the tower braces or diff work.
              I am happy to have the extra strengthening and GVM upgrade applied and will feel better when loaded for big trips. I hated the fact that on most extended trips, no matter how careful I packed I would be over GVM by a substantial margin.

Comment

• G Potter
                • Apr 2012
                • Colac

Congrats on the purchase Steve, I am sure you will have it in full touring/off-road mode in no time. Great idea to do the 3500kg towing upgrade, does the GVM get a upgrade as well?
                The cost of the suspension upgrade seems reasonable to me compared to just doing a normal lift etc.
                Hope you get many years of good times and big grins from your future Y61 travels. You never know these might be worth a fortune in 20-30 years time.
                Cheers
                Greg

Comment

• stevemc181
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by G Potter View Post
                  Congrats on the purchase Steve, I am sure you will have it in full touring/off-road mode in no time. Great idea to do the 3500kg towing upgrade, does the GVM get a upgrade as well?
                  The cost of the suspension upgrade seems reasonable to me compared to just doing a normal lift etc.
                  Hope you get many years of good times and big grins from your future Y61 travels. You never know these might be worth a fortune in 20-30 years time.
                  Cheers
                  Greg
                  Cheers Greg, You've got it the wrong way around, there is no change to the towing allowance. (3200kg for manual, 2500kg for Auto) This is a GVM Upgrade to 3505kg, one thing that I was made aware of this afternoon is that the pedders kit is only approved for a 5 seater, so the third row seats and belts need to go. No Biggie, I'l be putting drawers in anyway.

I am not overly enthusiastic about the engine in it, but looking forward to the live axles for some of the trips I want to do, such as Carson River track etc.
                  Not quite sure if I'll have it in 20 or 30 years time, but a good chance it wil have a v8 in it within 10yrs!

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Steve this maybe a stupid question.

Seeing as Pedders are doing the upgrade I guess they are also fitting their coils and shocks. Does that mean to stay legal at the increased GVM you are stuck with Pedders suspension?

Comment

• stevemc181
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                      Steve this maybe a stupid question.

Seeing as Pedders are doing the upgrade I guess they are also fitting their coils and shocks. Does that mean to stay legal at the increased GVM you are stuck with Pedders suspension?
                      Yep, I am guessing so, but the mod plate fitted to the vehicle makes no mention of Shock or Coil type from what I can tell. I can't see an issue with Mr Plod down the track if I happen to have something like Kings and Bisteins etc. To be honest, I've read of plenty of people who have no issue with the Pedders Trakryder gear, so hopefully it will serve me well.

Comment

• Maximage
                        • Mar 2013
                        • Darch, Perth, WA

Traitor! You're dead to me now old mate ...

(Can't say I blame you, at least you're keeping the Paj so it's not all bad. Did eye them off too given their capability and room, and the fact they can't pull the skin off custard didn't really bother me either as its intended use wouldn't need super acceleration.)
                        SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• stevemc181
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by Maximage View Post
                          Traitor! You're dead to me now old mate ...

(Can't say I blame you, at least you're keeping the Paj so it's not all bad. Did eye them off too given their capability and room, and the fact they can't pull the skin off custard didn't really bother me either as its intended use wouldn't need super acceleration.)
                          Bahahaha! Yep, I drive like an old man these days and rarely tow anything, so I think it will suffice! If not I can always start saving now for a 6.6 Duramax conversion in a few years time!

Comment

• stevemc181
                            Valued Member
                            • Sep 2012
                            • Thornlie/Perth

As usual with these things, the price is creeping up. I've decided to add Rubber castor correction bushes and an adjustable draglink. Probably not absolutely necessary with the small lift, but at least the steering wheel can now have the position adjusted as the factory draglink is not adjustable and the offset castor bushes will allow the alignment to be spot on. This brings the total cost of this GVM Upgrade/Lift to $4464.00. Ahhhh, the fun of modding things

Comment

• PBding
                              • May 2010
                              • Canberra

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

Enjoy.
                              Interesting, I would have struggled with a GU, have 3 friends with them. The Legend version was reviewed in 4x4 Australia and I can see why some would buy one but part of the review also featured a photo of a Y62 and two complimentary paragraphs.

Y62 just does it better, although I was really happy with my NW but not heavy enough for the van.
                              NW GLX-R Pajero auto in Champagne; not anymore, it's gone to a new home. Now piloting a Y62 Patrol petrol v8 in pearl white.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X