• Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Front strut failures

Hi Challenger Owners,

I have had 3 front strut failures with my Bilsteins, apart from being inconvenient it is also getting expensive. I love the ride and handling of the Bilstein but not the life.

Failure 1. RH after 39,000km and 1.5 years, leaking oil, shaft had bubble under chrome and seal chopped out. Replaced under warranty after a short discussion under goodwill even though they were double the warranty period.

Failure 2. LH after 64,000kms and 4 years, leaking oil, shaft scored on one side, upon disassembly and doing a runout check shaft is bent by 2.5mm. Replaced at my cost.

Failure 3. RH again after 33,000kms and 2 years, leaking oil, shaft scored, so I suspect another bent shaft. Still fitted to vehicle whilst I consider my next move.

Scored shaft.

Spoken to Kierion at Bushskinz and he and his suppliers opinion is that the standard duty Lovells spring is putting a side load on the spring because the top of the spring is not ground flat and it does not sit in the tophat seat squarely and this is flexing the strut. Suggesting changing over to King coils.

Spoke to Lovell's and they have had no reported problems with their struts when fitted with their springs.

Spoke to Brendan at Ultimate, he uses Lovell's springs in their kits. He has not seen this problem before and thinks it maybe either the shocker topping or bottoming out (I have since checked this and they are not).

What to do?
    Replace again with Bilstein and change both to King coils?
    Replace with Dobinson MRR or Monotubes and Dobinson coils.
    Replace with Terrain Tamer Pro-Shock or twin tube and Smart coils.
    Replace struts with Ultimate Twin Tube Gas or Lovell's Gas and reuse existing coils.
    All options require both front struts to be removed and disassembled so not a cheap or quick job.

When I look at the fitted strut I can see the strut shaft is not parallel to the strut body and it is not sitting centrally within the coil, see photo below;

Has anybody else had a similar problem?

I would be really grateful if anyone with any aftermarket suspension could take a photo and post it, of their left hand suspension at full extension with the wheel off. I need to see the top mount down to the upper control arm.

Many Thanks,

OJ.
    Last edited by old Jack; 11-01-17, 06:30 AM. Reason: Auto correct correction.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • stevemc181
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • Thornlie/Perth

Watching with interest, I just noticed my Billies on both sides at the front have now split the boots. They have done 100,000 km so it's time to change them I guess. I am also wondering whether to go the Bilstein/Lovells or to swap over to Dobinsons MRR and Coils, or something totally different?
    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
    3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• MiteeWidge
      • Mar 2014
      • Townsville

Sorry to hear of your Dramas OJ. I'm out at work at the moment but soon as I get home won't be a problem to grab a photo. I have Lovells front struts with TJM XGS springs that gave a 20mm lift.
      2011 Challenger 30th Anniversary Manual , OEM nudge bar , GME 3100 UHF , seat spacers , OEM tow bar , Rydge Ryder Awning , Dueler 265/65/17's , Munji egr , Ultragauge , ABR Sidewinder Flyer dual battery box , TJM Gold 4000 suspension , Plazmaman Intercooler hoses , Stedi ST4K 28'' light bar , 2 Stedi 7'' Type X , Pedders 5899 cones , Provent 200 catch can .

Comment

• coughy
        Valued Member
        • May 2014
        • Redlands Brisbane QLD

hay jack is that bush at bottom arm on both sides ok?? looks like there is movement or fresh rubbing there???
        where the bottom swing arm bolts to the chassis front and back??? lower control arms
        same as the top uca bushes??
        My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
        New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• 900canoes
          Valued Member
          • May 2008
          • FNQ

Here's my RH front OME (weight on). They have been on since late 2010 (110k kms). No issues, just a firmer ride which I want.
          Attached Files
          2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by coughy View Post
            hay jack is that bush at bottom arm on both sides ok?? looks like there is movement or fresh rubbing there???
            where the bottom swing arm bolts to the chassis front and back??? lower control arms
            same as the top uca bushes??
            Thanks Coughy,
            I had a quick look tonight and with the weight on the suspension it all looks fine but I will pull the strut out over the next few weeks and check all the bushes. Less than an hours work so worthwhile checking to be sure.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by 900canoes View Post
              Here's my RH front OME (weight on). They have been on since late 2010 (110k kms). No issues, just a firmer ride which I want.
              Thanks 900, I will do some comparisons and report back. What is your front EBH?

OJ.

Comment

• 900canoes
                Valued Member
                • May 2008
                • FNQ

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                Thanks 900, I will do some comparisons and report back. What is your front EBH?

OJ.
                560mm on that wheel.
                2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• 4wd26
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

I reported this same problem with bilstein shocks around 5 years ago, should even be on here somewhere

My failures were at 55 and 60 thousand neither fixed under warranty
                  First time I was willing to say oops stuff happens so bought a new bilstein strut, but after the exact same type failure 5 k after the first I gave the bilstein struts away to try a different brand

I had the first strut sent to bilstein to assess warranty and rebuild if required, parts and labour made it $50 more expensive to buy new, so that's what I did

Their response/ diagnosis was the same as yours the dobbinson spring was not ground flat so didn't sit/ suit the strut

I ran those same coils in a different brand strut for 100,000 kms without a problem with either coil or strut

I loved the ride of the bilstein struts in the front, but something does not work right for my style of driving to give the longevity of the premium price
                  ML triton with some accessories
                  National E Trek Libary
                  Getting Out There

Comment

• 4wd26
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007

Oh and I'm away at Fraser Island this week
                    When I get back I have heaps of photos of different setups and the bilstein struts are still here (were used as remote country spares)
                    National E Trek Libary
                    Getting Out There

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

4wd26, thanks for post and PM. PM replied to.
                      Have a great week on Fraser Island.

cheers, OJ.

Comment

• GHendo
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Northern NSW

You fellas have got me a bit nervous – I am hoping these problems don’t cross over to the Pajero. I’ve got Dobinsons coils I’ve had for about 90,000km in my NP and at the time I paired them up with Lovells shock absorbers – all round. Recently I noticed one of the front shocks leaking so this time I thought I’d try the Bilstein shocks. I’ve just bought two for the front to go in the struts up there with the Dobinsons coils, then I read this post. I don’t have the spring compressors to disassemble/assemble the struts so will be getting that done in town after I remove the struts. Guess I should make sure that is all done correctly and everything lines up nicely.

Hope you get to the bottom of the problem OJ.

Cheers

Geoff
                        03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• 4wd26
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007

It doesn't seem to effect the Pajero or prado front ends
                          One of the reasons I chose bilstein was the great reports of bilstein on ifs vehicles

The struts are different for the triton challenger, also the control arms arm not as long with different geometry
                          National E Trek Libary
                          Getting Out There

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by 4wd26 View Post
                            It doesn't seem to effect the Pajero or prado front ends
                            One of the reasons I chose bilstein was the great reports of bilstein on ifs vehicles

The struts are different for the triton challenger, also the control arms arm not as long with different geometry
                            I was pretty certain that the PB/PC Challenger struts were the same as the MN Triton's, have I got this wrong?

Also think that shaft diameter is larger in the Bilsteins fitted to the Pajero, I will check this out, thinking 16mm for Pajero Bilsteins.

OJ.

Comment

• 4wd26
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2007

Sorry bad wording
                              Triton challenger is the same but different to the Pajero
                              National E Trek Libary
                              Getting Out There

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X