• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Carrying Fuel vs Checkpoint Filling in the Outback

For outback long trips both Petrol & Diesel what do you normally do when leaving civilization & traveling big distances.

Do you carry alot of fuel in your trailer like at least 4x20L jerrys? Which could fit easily around the sides without taking up alot of box space. In addition to LR tanks too.

Some say if you carry too much fuel your economy is hit & its cheaper in the long run to fill up at the next stop even if small places are expensive. Does this really happen & what were the details? Given it might only be 100-150KG of fuel.
    Maybe a balance is what most experienced trekkers do? After all you have alot of water weight too. Although diesel has the advantage over petrol. I'd still like to hear how Petrol drivers do it.

When do you have to carry a trailer? Is it a personal preference thing? Do the rough roads & corrugations prevent a standard box trailer being carried? I just can't ever imagine not carrying a lite box even if I was on my own. But I tend to keep everything more loose & accessible.
    In my situation with out a trailer, all I could carry is 40L of fuel on roofrack as other stuff is up there. I'm sure with Diesel this will get you through just?

Just eager to learn from your experience & trips.

thanks
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5
  • green troll
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2015
    • Adelaide

Where you going is the question

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by green troll View Post
      Where you going is the question
      You beat me to it! All depends on where you're going (and your vehicle's fuel capacity/range)
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• gringo
        • Jun 2009
        • Harrington Park (Sydney)

If you know that you are going to go on some rough roads for a long period of time the ordinary trailer won't be good enough

Comment

• greybeard
          • Jan 2008
          • WA

Unless you're going right out there, long range tank, maybe an extra jerry can.
          But top up at the remote fuel places. If you don't they'll close down and then everyone has to cart a fuel tanker behind them. The incremental cost of a few top ups at higher prices isn't the end of the world. And every little bit helps the people who provide services in the country.
          Are you self sufficient with food, breakdown, medical support? or do you assume that someone will provide those services who lives in the area?
          Most people carry that much extra crap in their vehicles that they stand more chance of breaking stuff due to overloading than they'll benefit from the 'just in case' stuff they are carrying.
          If you're struggling for fuel range, try releasing the pressure on the loud peddle and carrying less ballast.

Back to reality How many places can you go in Australia these days where a long range tank and maybe a jerry can extra won't get you to the next fuel stop? Tanami? Ann Beadell? Canning Stock route (takes the trailer out of the equation as well)? And even they have fuel available at different locations.

Comment

• Bru9
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Victoria

Originally posted by greybeard View Post
            Unless you're going right out there, long range tank, maybe an extra jerry can.
            But top up at the remote fuel places. If you don't they'll close down and then everyone has to cart a fuel tanker behind them. The incremental cost of a few top ups at higher prices isn't the end of the world. And every little bit helps the people who provide services in the country.
            Are you self sufficient with food, breakdown, medical support? or do you assume that someone will provide those services who lives in the area?
            Most people carry that much extra crap in their vehicles that they stand more chance of breaking stuff due to overloading than they'll benefit from the 'just in case' stuff they are carrying.
            If you're struggling for fuel range, try releasing the pressure on the loud peddle and carrying less ballast.

Back to reality How many places can you go in Australia these days where a long range tank and maybe a jerry can extra won't get you to the next fuel stop? Tanami? Ann Beadell? Canning Stock route (takes the trailer out of the equation as well)? And even they have fuel available at different locations.
            Thanks,

Without a trailer I just don't see the space available for a few people, unless you are eating poverty grade & showering with 5L of water, id prefer to enjoy my self. Can't a trailer with shocks & the rest of it take the canning unless its some legal thing?

Why are things braking? I would take the track slow & enjoy it.

Personally I have no interest in such tracks as I have absolutely no doubt the Paj isn't tuff enough for it. And such tracks would cause the Paj to become a worn rattling bucket of bolts. I think an old truck that you don't care about would be best.
            2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• greybeard
              • Jan 2008
              • WA

If you're unsure why things get broken on country roads and why trailers and canning stock route don't mix then you may need to spend a little time with google.

Instead of trying to work out how to carry lots of fuel, maybe work backwards from your intended mission. Work out time/fuel/food/water/weight/volume you will require then you worry about how to carry it it all.
              A B-double tanker can carry plenty of fuel but that might not be appropriate.

Comment

• caroma
                • May 2012
                • WA - Pilbara

Any road that hasn't been graded in a while is capable of destroying a standard box trailer. Sometimes the welds just can't handle the vibrations and if you've ever been on a corrugated track you'll know that taking it slow doesn't necessarily mean less vibration.
                2008 NS Petrol Auto.

Comment

• grhyso
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Perth

We have only carried fuel with us when driving through the Kimberley and we had 3x 20L jerry cans on the roof. I was very mindful of the weight so these were only ever filled if I was unsure fuel was available at the next stop and I couldn't get to the following one comfortably. I actually ended up stuffing up my calculations and carried too much fuel the 4x times I filled them, considering we don't have a long range tank I was surprised however the areas of the Kimberley we went weren't that remote.

I feel we were overweight and only had 2 of us. We are now looking at camper trailers or overland trailers for future touring. Mainly to provide easier more organised storage and take a heap of weight out of the car, but also to provide space for a few jerry cans.

In regards to the canning mentioned above, the lower section actually doesn't allow trailers.
                  2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• supazuk
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Katherine

Originally posted by caroma View Post
                    Any road that hasn't been graded in a while is capable of destroying a standard box trailer. Sometimes the welds just can't handle the vibrations and if you've ever been on a corrugated track you'll know that taking it slow doesn't necessarily mean less vibration.
                    Have seen every brand of flash camper with smashed suspension. The Kimberly ones are a nightmare to get parts for.

Maintance along with correct size bearings are the key. Sticking a tyre bigger then a 15" car tyre on ford bearings is asking for trouble.
                    2014 PC Challenger, TJM winch bar, RUNVA 9500 winch, MMA tow bar, $0.09 EGR resister mod, 114L fuel tank, narva 225 HID driving lights, scan gauge 2, uniden UHF, TAIT VHF, TJM battery tray, bush skins , dobinsons lift and plenty more to still do

Comment

• Seighcret
                      • Jan 2015
                      • Wanaaring

Carrying Fuel vs Checkpoint Filling in the Outback

Same as above (depends where you are going). One thing to keep in mind though , carrying enough fuel to only get where you need to be can at times become problematic. Some smaller service stations in remote areas can (and do) run out of fuel - or close for a day or so without warning , leaving you stranded. If bad weather sets in - you could be waiting a long time to fill up (waiting for a tanker to be able to travel on the road). Also, you have to consider the misadventure factor - and not just yours. You might drive across another stranded vehicle or some kind of medical emergency then have to assist by driving to and from farmhouses or remote airstrips - carrying rfds staff.

You might also get yourself 3/4 of the way to a particular location - then find yourself having to turn back because of a flooded road etc.

I also agree with the comments about trailers. When I was living in the Northern Territory I saw my fair share of trailers come unstuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• grhyso
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Perth

Originally posted by Seighcret View Post
                        Same as above (depends where you are going). One thing to keep in mind though , carrying enough fuel to only get where you need to be can at times become problematic. Some smaller service stations in remote areas can (and do) run out of fuel - or close for a day or so without warning , leaving you stranded. If bad weather sets in - you could be waiting a long time to fill up (waiting for a tanker to be able to travel on the road). Also, you have to consider the misadventure factor - and not just yours. You might drive across another stranded vehicle or some kind of medical emergency then have to assist by driving to and from farmhouses or remote airstrips - carrying rfds staff.

You might also get yourself 3/4 of the way to a particular location - then find yourself having to turn back because of a flooded road etc.

I also agree with the comments about trailers. When I was living in the Northern Territory I saw my fair share of trailers come unstuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Very good advice. Another thing to be aware of that caught people out while we were up north this year, The Mt Barnett roadhouse halfway along the Gibb River Road had issues with their phones and couldn't take credit cards for a few days. So unless you carried enough cash for all your fuel you were stuck there till it was sorted.
                        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                          Very good advice. Another thing to be aware of that caught people out while we were up north this year, The Mt Barnett roadhouse halfway along the Gibb River Road had issues with their phones and couldn't take credit cards for a few days. So unless you carried enough cash for all your fuel you were stuck there till it was sorted.

Used to be a very common practice in the Territory to caryy $1000 in cash. It was nothing to go into a pub and see wallets full of 50,s. Not so much now but When I lived there I always carried a wad of notes. Never know when a bargain comes up as well. I,ve towed many trailers around remote areas. No issues. Provided trailers were built tuff and loaded correctly , had good tyres and correct pressures then all good. Would rather carry 100 litres on trailer than on a 4wd. Everytime behind the wheel you should drive to suit the conditions .
                          Last edited by Dicko1; 17-10-16, 01:20 PM. Reason: added
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Nab
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • Perth

Originally posted by Seighcret View Post

We travel with the same mindset. Also carry heaps of extra canned food, water and a few hundred in cash for similar reasons. Recently drove from Uluru to Perth via great Central Road and we stopped at the community roadhouses to top up. We didn't need to (long range tank) but we kept the fuel tanks topped up in case we needed to deviate or the weather turned bad. We also like to support the communities and in reality the cost isn't that much more.

If you are staying on the blacktop you will have no dramas with your standard fuel tank.

We find that many travellers are either over prepared or under prepared, not many sit in the middle. Which would you rather be?
                            SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                            NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Alex86
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Here and there

Diving around the north-west a lot I generally always had a Jerry or two of extra fuel- depending on the trip and time of year.

One night I drove to Exmouth and picked up a uhf call from a truckie needing help, he thought he was having a heart attack. Unfortunately, even with the extra fuel, I didnt have the range to try and get to him (for a proper location to give to the ambos) and then make it to a servo, I would have run out trying to get back to town.
                              Can't cover every scenario, but it's always good to have more than you need just in case.
                              '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                              Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X