• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • barradave
    • Nov 2011
    • Cairns

Clunk in rear 2007 NS diesel auto

Hello all.
    I have a 2007 NS auto diesel with 114,000 on the speedo and every time I either press my foot down or take my foot off the accelerator, I hear a 'clunk' coming from the rear of the vehicle. I have taken it to my long-term 4WD mechanical workshop to check it out.

He told me that he checked the diff oil and couldn't find any problems. He also told me that there was not enough space in his workshop to check it further, take it home and "when it gets worse" bring it back.

Has anybody else had this problem and if yes, what did you do to fix it?

Regards,
    Dave
  • tonee
    • Jun 2019
    • Queensland

It's a common problem, ask your mechanic to have a look at the rear diff bushings. Few here may mention to get genuine and not the Nolathane brand. It could also be the shaft uni joint.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Comment

• craka
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Newcastle (Newie)

Before you get to far with diff bushes, check that rear axle nuts are torqued up. One particular side, I think the left side from memory has come slightly loose on a few people and the symptom as been a clunk when on and off throttle.
      NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• shawty950
        • Jun 2011
        • Brisbane

Check this thread https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...931#post374931 for the axle nut issue.
        SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork, MCA Gold shocks and Parabolic rear leafs, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

• blagle
          • Mar 2010
          • canberra

Originally posted by barradave View Post
          Hello all.
          I have a 2007 NS auto diesel with 114,000 on the speedo and every time I either press my foot down or take my foot off the accelerator, I hear a 'clunk' coming from the rear of the vehicle. I have taken it to my long-term 4WD mechanical workshop to check it out.

He told me that he checked the diff oil and couldn't find any problems. He also told me that there was not enough space in his workshop to check it further, take it home and "when it gets worse" bring it back.

Regards,
          Dave
          I had an ongoing clunk under the same conditions (I have an NS manual). Ended up being the uni joint on the front propeller shaft. I was only days from taking it to be checked out and it let go and stuffed the splines at the end of the shaft. Had to buy entirely new from prop shaft, $2200. Not sure what the configuration for autos is. good luck

Comment

• swys42
            • Oct 2019
            • Aldinga Beach

Originally posted by barradave View Post
            Hello all.

Regards,
            Dave

How has a 2007 Pajero Ns only done 114000 KMS , engine not even run in

Comment

• tonee
              • Jun 2019
              • Queensland

I tightened the rear left axle nut about a year ago with thread lock and the problem went away. About 2 weeks ago it came back. It started clunking and the auto shifting was also slow holding the first two gears longer than it should causing higher fuel consumption.

I undid the nut, WD40 the shaft, bash the shaft a bit to get moving freely. Apply thread lock and tighten it up hard again. I used a breaker bar and pole to get it real tight. It now drives smooth, no clunks and back to good fuel consumption.

Comment

• pracolas
                • May 2014
                • France

Hi Tonee, can you specify the nut you’re talking about?
                Thanks

Comment

• tonee
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Queensland

Originally posted by pracolas View Post
                  Hi Tonee, can you specify the nut you’re talking about?

Thanks
                  Remove the wheel, the centre dust cover and you'll find a big 36mm axle nut.

Comment

• pracolas
                    • May 2014
                    • France

Thank's!

Comment

• tonee
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Queensland

I'm not getting clunks from the accelerator pedal nor doing from drive to reverse vice versa but I'm still getting the clunk from park to reverse. Rear diff mounts perhaps? I had a look it's not completely torn, most of it is still intact

Comment

• Nab
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • Perth

Have you or mechanic checked the rear hub nuts? 36mm, need to be done up super tight (200Nm+ I think).
                        SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                        NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• galaga72
                          • Nov 2016
                          • Adelaide

I had a simialr noise a few years ago: had to replace my rear diff bushes

Comment

• tonee
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Queensland

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                            Have you or mechanic checked the rear hub nuts? 36mm, need to be done up super tight (200Nm+ I think).
                            I used a 2m pole over a breaker bar to tighten it. I think it may be diff bushes.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X