• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1_johnboy
    • Sep 2012
    • Gippsland

Lighting questions

Just wondering what you have done to upgrade factory lighting. Better brand globes, HID conversion or LED globes. If so what products did you uses and how have you found the results.

One another note on the centre of the dash there is what appears to be a security light/LED. Is it? If so mine isnt working
  • Garc
    • May 2015
    • Perth

I changed all the interior lights over to LEDs which I bought online from the big E. I tried to go for less bright ones (5s) but they are still very bright. They are one sided so I turned the driver side one near the mirror to the back so it gives less glare. They are a bit fragile though, I broke one (the end cap off) when putting it into the back seat light. By far the most useful one is the cargo bay light in LED as you can switch it off when not wanting to light up the area.

Yes I have a blinking red light at the front of the centre dash speaker cover which is the alarm light. Very easy to remove by grabbing from the screen side. I discovered yesterday that the plastic base for this is very loose and rattly so I taped it up to stop it moving.
    Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• 1_johnboy
      • Sep 2012
      • Gippsland

anything done to headlights?

Comment

• robeggy
        • Apr 2008
        • Nelson Bay

The LED blinks when the alarm is set. Check your user manual on how to activate as they come from MM not activated .
        ROB

Comment

• Merts
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2011
          • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by 1_johnboy View Post
          anything done to headlights?
          I replaced the globes in my NS with high output halogens.
          There are a few different alternatives, NARVA, Philips etc.

There are threads on the subject if you do a search.
          Merts
          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

My Hid low beams are still pretty good so i just change high beam, front fogs and parking/side lights with 5000k globes off the internet. It was a closer colour match to the hid low beams.
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Nasir
              • Aug 2016
              • uae

hi

I have pajero 4x4 - 2015 when I change tires the diff gear light start flashing, when I check the tires I find they it by biger size inteat of 265x70rx16 they fixed 275x70rx16 I think this is a reason for flashing the gear lights.

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Assuming start from halogen low beams in a Gen4, these are your options:

1. Replace the halogen bulbs with better quality, higher output like the Plus 150 series. Philips or Osram, both are good although Osram seems to have the edge at the moment. This is probably the least costly and only strictly legal option. Results will be improved output and better range. Noticeable but not massive improvement.
                2. Replace the H11 bulb in the low beam projector with the much better performing H9 bulb. Requires a small modification to the bulb base but the two bulbs are otherwise the same in dimensions and positioning of the filament. The H9 is, however, 65w and produces 2100 lumens, well above that of any H11 bulb.

The high beam H9 bulb already uses technology that is essentially that used in the high performance (Plus series) bulbs so there isn't this alternative although there is a Plus30 version which is slightly better.
                3. Replace the low beam filament bulbs with HID. Subjectively the Pajero projector seems to handle the HID conversion reasonably well. However, the HID bulb emits more than double the lumens of a halogen bulb which means that glare is increased where it shouldn't be and intensities are correspondingly higher, well above what they should be. Technically illegal but quite a few members report being happy with this alternative. They're probably a lot happier than other road users who have to put up with the glare. Relatively cheap if you buy the junk quality bulbs and ballasts being sold on Ebay and the like.
                4. Full retrofit. Replace the halogen projectors with projectors designed for HID. Expensive, but not as expensive as replacing the headlights with genuine Mitsubishi HID items.

In terms of performance for dollar and consideration for other road users this is the best option. You'll get the better beam pattern, including extreme width, of an HID projector without the glare. Another benefit is that the projectors can be bi-xenon - meaning that they can have both high and low beam functions, supplementing your high beams.

Again, to be strictly legal, needs levelling and washers. This can be done at an extra cost but less than replacing with genuine items.
                5. Full customisation. The sky is the limit here. Built in DRLs, high output OEM projectors and/or ballasts, special effects like angel eyes....the list is only limited by your imagination, and your wallet.

For example, I'm currently building Gen4 headlights that have relocated projectors and 200mm high beam reflectors - essentially built in driving lights.
                6. Replace existing with genuine Mitsubishi HID headlights and add levelling plus washers. Not really an option since the cost is ridiculous
                Chris

Comment

• stephenb489
                  • Aug 2008
                  • Geelong

Re: Headlight Reflector Upgrade

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for your insights on this problem, I have really appreciated your post.

Any chance of providing some more info on how you are organizing this modification and any other info you might think useful.

Many thanks,
                  Last edited by stephenb489; 04-08-16, 10:21 PM. Reason: Repeat of name
                  Steve

NW '13 White VRX - F Diff Lock, Comp mounted in ARB Deluxe Bar, ChipIt DC with EGT Controller & EGR off module, Tech Trek drawers, AirLift airbags with wireless controlled comp, 2" lift with HD Lovells & Koni 90 & 88's, LR Auxilliary tank, Dual Battery, Redarc Controller, Runva Winch, Bushskinz Sidesteps, Scan Gauge, X-Ray 220 HID lights, Uniden RM-770, Cooper Discoverer AT3 265/65/18, Diff/Trans/Engine temp sensors with digital readout, HawksHead TPMS, Tekonsha P3 EBC & more.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X