• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4WD Pom
    • Aug 2007
    • Brisbane, QLD

Ns Swb R

Hi All

Starting to look at buying a new NS SWB R DiD but had a couple of quick quetions. Firstly, does any have one, everyone seems to be buying the X but to be honest I prefer the slightly lower spec one! Secondly, does any know if the bars from ARB, TJM and Mitsu will fit the R as it has slightly different flares? Thirdly, does anyone know if Milford will be doing a barrier (one of the reasons I prefer the R is that with the side and curtain airbags I assume there would be a problem with putting a barrier in behind the front seats)? Fourthly, will OL or someone else be doing a dual wheel carrier? Lastly, anyone know if a second fuel tank from LRA is on the horizon? I know there are a couple of snorkels on the way and a dual battery system isn't a problem. One other thing I forgot, is there a spare DIN for mounting a radio, I test drove one yesterday and loved it, but forgot to look at that!

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers

Will
  • Schniff
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Unsure about the bars, but Milford are not making a barrier for them. This was one of the reasons why I didn't go the SWB. LRA apparently are making a 65 litre aux tank for them. The compartment below the climate control is a DIN size and you can put a radio there.
    Drowned, RIP: NS DID VRX Auto, FP, TJM Sorkel, Cargo Barrier, Infill G4 car PC, Waeco CF-50, Icom IC 400 UHF, ARB deluxe bar, IPF 900XS HID upgrade and dual battery. Kings and Bilsteins, Brown Davis Bash plates, CSA 17 inch alloys with Cooper ST-Cs for the dirt, ORS fridgepack drawers, 90 litre water bladder, LRA aux fuel tank.

Comment

• Eastie
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Vic

I went for the R as it's a good platform to build upon. The ARB deluxe bar fits, and as you picked it the only issue is it protudes the side panels by 10mm due to no flares: not a real big issue. LRA have an auxilary tank already out - 65 or so litres and fits behind the rear dif with some minor muffler work - about $1600 installed from memory. I've no idea on the cargo barrier, but I recon the spare wheel carier would be a pain in the backside given all the plastic surrounding the existing wheel.
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

• Rich
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Canberra

(Eastie) - I am getting an R as well (couple of weeks away) and was looking at the Smartbar as alternative to other bars but they reckon they make it for the X model as it has the flares and that if fitted to an R it would have the same issue you mentioned. So would be interested to see any pics if you have any.

From what I have read getting any sort of cargo barrier for the SWB is going to be difficult if not impossible due to airbags (which are not there on the R - ). I would have liked to put a barrier behind the front seat.

Rich

Comment

• macguru
          • Jul 2007

I bought an R SWB Petrol and I am very happy. The features in the X model were mainly things I did not want anyway. The styling on the R is alot cleaner without the black wheel arches & spoiler. The electric seats are slow to adjust.
          Of course the side airbags and better headlights would be nice .... I had to get an auto, of course, but the tiptronic works well. I agree its a good base to add features too, and has tons of stuff standard that you dont get on a toyota model in base spec.
          Cheers,
          Andrew

2007 NS SWB R V6 Auto - Tow Bar & Lift, Thule Aero Bars, TomTom GO720
          1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

• Eastie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Vic

I ended up with the DiD with side/curtain airbags and a few othere bits. The bullbar is going on next week so I'll post a pic then. All in all the X is nice, but the 18 inch rims and high $'s for the non-essential add-ons put me off. I'm thinking flexi-flares or something may be on the cards, but will wait and see?
            I've got a set of hella 4000's with a HID kit to go on the bar which will take care of high beam lighting, and if need be I can get a HID low beam converrsion kit for a few hundred. Others on the list are replacement & additional bash plates underneath and a snorkel when they are available.
            Last edited by Eastie; 19-08-07, 08:56 PM.
            NS oil burner shorty

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

i went for the X as i use it mainly for towing my boat in and out of gravel river beds.. so no serious 4x4 clearance and touring.. nice to have the luxo bits and love the headlights and heated seats.

however if i was an off road camping user i would go for the R model and spend the savings on all the good gear...
              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Rich
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Canberra

Hi
                As said I am getting the R. My main reason was cost and I did not want 18" rims.
                I wanted it to tow my camper on road and off road but not heavy 4wd but want to get to the outback dirt roads

My wish list includes (in no particular order)
                . snorkel
                . aux tank (plus better suspension if required)
                . smart bar/bull bar
                . UHF radio
                . roof racks - may well through that one in
                But where to start.

I am sure there is more but can't affor most of the above so nice to keep dreaming.

Comment

• 4WD Pom
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Brisbane, QLD

Hi guys

Thanks for the info. if anyone has a picture of an R with the bar on and the gap it would be great to see. The salesman at the Mitsu garage wasn't sure if the factory bar would even fit on the R as a result of not having the flairs!?!

So if Milford don't do a barrier, what are the other options?

cheers

Will

Comment

• Rich
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Canberra

Hi - As mentioned above I was looking at the Smartbar for the R. I contacted the dealer and the issue with the flares come up.

He reckons there will be a 10mm gap on the R

Not sure where that gap will be or whether it will look OK or not.

Will be good to see some pics.

Would also be good to see if flexi-flares are available for the R (nothing else seems to be) and if this will resolve the 'gap' problem.

Rich
                    Last edited by Rich; 22-08-07, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• macguru
                      • Jul 2007

Isnt their PIC of an NS LWB without flared guards, or am i missing something ??

Cheers,
                      Andrew

1991 NH 2.6 SWB Manual - Michelin AT's, Thule Roofbars, Alloy Bullbar,Hella Lamps, Pedders 1" Lift

Comment

• macguru
                        • Jul 2007

oh, actually they do look different to the SWB.......

is the actual metalwork on the LWB guards flared out slightly ?
                        Cheers,
                        Andrew

Comment

• Rich
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Canberra

Are there pictures of the R any where.

I not sure if the glossies show the R just the X.

There must be some difference

Rich

Comment

• Eastie
                            Valued Member
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Vic

See attached - there's a difference of about 10-12mm at each wheel arch as the R does not have plastic guards on the wheel arches that are common on other models.
                            Attached Files
                            NS oil burner shorty

Comment

• Rich
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Canberra

Eastie
                              Your idea of flexiflares may fill the gap if that is a concern any way - it is just for looks.

I am getting the red (this Friday if all goes well) so black flares would not look good I reckon but would not notice small gap.

You are getting BB fitted soon aren't you so let us know how it looks.

When I get the car I will go and talk to the guys who do the smartbar and see for myself. Mind you I have quite a few other things on the list so may be awhile.

Rich

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X