• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • saj
    • Aug 2010
    • Northern Nsw

ARB fridge/freezer is freezing.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced their 12volt fridge freezing on the lowest setting..
    I have an old ARB rebadged Engel fridge, the one with no digital display MT45F.. Fridge works but is hovering around the -4C to -6C on the lowest setting.( I have a seperate Jaycar temp sensor). Could it be the control setting Knob or is it more likely the Thermostat... cheers
    2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning
  • Pixie_au
    • Apr 2019
    • Queensland

Is the sensor reading correctly? I have a two-zone sensor and it reads lower than the Engel but I trust the Engel based on results.

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

Does sound like a thermostat issue. Does it get even colder of you set it to a lower temperature?
      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• stevemc181
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • Thornlie/Perth

You could use one of these temp controllers and set it to whatever temp you want, it will do the job and you'll then have a digital temp display. I had a couple of similar ones running on my Engel eclipse fridges for a few years, no probs.

Edit: Apologies: I originally linked to a 220vac unit, the link has now been corrected to the 12v unit: There are multiple types and brands of these available on ebay. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-STC-...frcectupt=true
        Last edited by stevemc181; 18-09-19, 12:55 PM.
        2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
        3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• saj
          • Aug 2010
          • Northern Nsw

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
          Does sound like a thermostat issue. Does it get even colder of you set it to a lower temperature?
          No, Higher setting equals colder..... Jaycar wireless temp gauge I got yesterday to monitor temps, everything was freezing....

From what I can gather setting 1 puts the fridge at -6C
          setting 2 puts it at --9C... and so on.
          2006 NP VRX DiD. Dual Batts 80Amp. 2"lovells and bilsteins. Polyairs. Clic-on Ipad Holder. ARB awning

Comment

• saj
            • Aug 2010
            • Northern Nsw

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
            You could use one of these temp controllers and set it to whatever temp you want, it will do the job and you'll then have a digital temp display. I had a couple of similar ones running on my Engel eclipse fridges for a few years, no probs.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inkbird-....c100005.m1851
            So you replaced the old knob style controller with one of these steve? Interesting

Are they difficult to swap?

Comment

• saj
              • Aug 2010
              • Northern Nsw

Originally posted by Pixie_au View Post
              Is the sensor reading correctly? I have a two-zone sensor and it reads lower than the Engel but I trust the Engel based on results.
              I'm not sure, I only have a one zone fridge and the thermostat looks a lot like this one ... Only the thermostat looks the same not the fridge, my one is older than the fridge shown in the youtube link....
              Step by step guide to disassembly the Engel MR040F for parts remplacement or repair. Created with PowerDirector @NJNM 2017

Comment

• KevsChallenger
                • Sep 2017
                • Melbourne

I've been running my ARB fridge a bit recently, its in a transit bag and always in the back of our Challenger. I have been running it on setting 1 and temps inside the fridge based on Engel digital gauge range from 0 to 4 degrees depending on ambient temps and temp inside the car.
                PC, 2"OME, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batts, TJM Bar, Ironman Winch, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2's, ARB Fridge/Slide, Cargo Barrier, Provent Catch Can, Roof Rack, Lightbar, Inverter, UHF, Lock Up Mate, ScangaugeII, IDrive

Comment

• saj
                  • Aug 2010
                  • Northern Nsw

Originally posted by KevsChallenger View Post
                  I've been running my ARB fridge a bit recently, its in a transit bag and always in the back of our Challenger. I have been running it on setting 1 and temps inside the fridge based on Engel digital gauge range from 0 to 4 degrees depending on ambient temps and temp inside the car.
                  Thx Kev,

On setting 1 mine cuts in at -3 then turns off at -6. Changing the setting lower than 1 doesn't change anything, stays the same temp..

cheers
                  Last edited by saj; 04-09-19, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• stevemc181
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by saj View Post
                    So you replaced the old knob style controller with one of these steve? Interesting

Are they difficult to swap?
                    You don't swap anything, you just put this inline on the power line to your fridge, it cuts off the power when the set temp is reached. I just zip tied the temp probe inside the fridge and hung the thin temp probe wire out of the top.

I bought a couple of Engel Eclipse fridges a while back at a price I couldn't pass up. One thing that has always annoyed me is the dial style temp control. As most would know, it's just a dial that you set from 1- 5 and it doesn't actually tell you what temperature it is being set at. While...

You won't need the relay I have shown in the link, as most of these controllers are rated 10 amp now, mine was only a 5 amp model,
                    2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• saj
                      • Aug 2010
                      • Northern Nsw

Originally posted by stevemc181 View Post
                      You don't swap anything, you just put this inline on the power line to your fridge, it cuts off the power when the set temp is reached. I just zip tied the temp probe inside the fridge and hung the thin temp probe wire out of the top.

I bought a couple of Engel Eclipse fridges a while back at a price I couldn't pass up. One thing that has always annoyed me is the dial style temp control. As most would know, it's just a dial that you set from 1- 5 and it doesn't actually tell you what temperature it is being set at. While...

You won't need the relay I have shown in the link, as most of these controllers are rated 10 amp now, mine was only a 5 amp model,
                      I see, that's pretty clever... that's all I need cause it still is working and just needs to be told when to switch on and off, I just ordered one.... Thx very much Steve

Comment

• stevemc181
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2012
                        • Thornlie/Perth

Originally posted by saj View Post
                        I see, that's pretty clever... that's all I need cause it still is working and just needs to be told when to switch on and off, I just ordered one.... Thx very much Steve
                        No Worries, they worked well when I was using them, and it should do the trick for yours as well.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X