• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zoom
    • Apr 2017
    • Sydney

2017 Pajero DPF here we go again

Ordered a new Pajero Exceed on the weekend after driving the Pajero Sports and didn't even think about DPF problems till I started reading old posts on this forum . So whats down the track for me same disasters as the NS ??

What are the best precautions to take against future problems that will be safe as far as MM warranty goes will a SPV cable and catch can be enough to prevent future problems ???
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

It entirely depends on how Mitsu have set this up. It's worth noting that the early NT that still had a DPF did not have issues. Every chance that the tech has matured now. Catch can and SPV mods have nothing to do with this either.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• zoom
      • Apr 2017
      • Sydney

Originally posted by psproule View Post
      It entirely depends on how Mitsu have set this up. It's worth noting that the early NT that still had a DPF did not have issues. Every chance that the tech has matured now. Catch can and SPV mods have nothing to do with this either.

Yes you are right about the catch can and SPV I was thinking of all the problems I had with the NS which were finally sorted

Comment

• gta1898
        • Jan 2014
        • Chester. UK

We've had DPFs here since 2007 and unless you spend your life driving around the town and never go out on the open roads you shouldn't have a problem.

I've had my bus 3 years now and monitor all the DPF burns via Torque app and obd2 reader and not had any problems. Personally I would recommend buying an obd2 reader and torque app so you can check the car does its regens when it should, mine averages about 350-400 miles between DPF regens, but having said this thousands if not hundreds of thousands or even millions of car drivers with DPFs don't do this as they don't even know they exist !! If you do drive around town all the time then about once a week or maybe two weeks you will need to take the car on an open road for 30 minutes to allow the car to carry out a regen of the DPF, my regens last 5 minutes but the engine does need to be at about normal operating temperature. The price of DPFs here have fallen significantly as after market makers have started making them so buy the time you need to replace hopefully your aftermarket exhaust manufactures will have started making them.

In an ideal world I'd rather not have the DPF, more complex to me means more problems eventually, but as I said on a previous thread just be glad you've only got one the LC200 has two, being a V engine.
        Graham

Shogun / Pajero MY14 SG2 / GLX, Manual, Eiger Grey, Limo Tints, SPV 3.1, 18" Factory alloys in satin black.

Comment

• zoom
          • Apr 2017
          • Sydney

Thanks Graham Id say the 2017 will also require special engine oil ? ? cant find anything on the www yet

Comment

• Sparky11
            • Jan 2017
            • Tea Gardens NSW

What are the best precautions to take against future problems that will be safe as far as MM warranty goes will a SPV cable and catch can be enough to prevent future problems ???[/QUOTE]

I also have a 2017 spec Paj with DPF have been experimenting with various resistors to eliminate the EGR as per various threads on the forum. It would appear that the 2017 vechicles will not completly close down the EGR with just a resistor (been up to 5k6 resisotor and still some ERG operation) so check with SPV before purchase that his mod works with the 2017 specs.

Comment

• miffy
              • Apr 2015
              • Southern Sydney

We have also just bought a MY17 Exceed. Previously owned NS. It had just over 100k when traded. Never had a problem. MM replaced intake manifold at 60000km even though it was running well. Now I am a little concerned about the future with a DPF. Fingers crossed it is the same system or more improved that the NT had. It would great if that information was made public for the many people that will be purchasing MY17 ,18 etc. Just to reassure drivers. Time will tell.

On another note. Does anybody know if fuel figures improve with time? Have done just over 4000km and country driving on this trip was getting just over 10ltr/100km. 2 people and luggage. Measured by topping tank and then refill after 500km. My old NS did better than this.

Thanks
              Last edited by miffy; 20-04-17, 01:00 AM. Reason: mistakes

Comment

• JoshF
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Brisbane

I have never had issues with warranty work being done with/without mods, they aren't Toyota
                NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Amok
                  • Dec 2016
                  • Sydney

10k kms on my car with a dpf. Never had problems and I do a lot of metro driving in traffic. Most owners wouldn't even know its there.
                  MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Merts
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • Bendigo Vic

I have 22k+ kms on my MQ Triton, and apart from seeing the exhaust temperature sensor readings go up occasionally, you wouldn't know there was a DPF on it. Like Amok, a fair amount of the time I'm just driving around town, which was problematic with the NS Pajero DPF, but apparently not with the system on the MQ.

Hopefully the NX setup is equally problem free.

Can anyone with a MY17 NX advise where the DPF is located?
                    The one on the NS was about half way down the exhaust system, whereas the one on the MQ is actually in the engine bay, immediately after the turbo. I assume they've done this in order to make sure it gets as hot as possible, as soon as possible, to help with the passive regeneration.
                    Merts
                    Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                    Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• conquistador
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2012
                      • sth east queensland

I think the 200 series has a manual dpf burn with a cabin operated switch. I imagine good when your on a highway know your likely to be in stop start for the forseeable future.

does the new pajero have this feature?

Comment

• gta1898
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Chester. UK

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
                        I think the 200 series has a manual dpf burn with a cabin operated switch. I imagine good when your on a highway know your likely to be in stop start for the forseeable future.

does the new pajero have this feature?
                        The 200 has the manual switch as a driver operated option if the automatic sequence fails to complete because of issues like speed not high enough, too much stop / start etc etc

Unfortunately I don't know of any other vehicle that has this option , I wish other makers would adopt it though. The only way you could initiate a DPF regen on the Pajero would be to use a MUT 3. I bought an eBay one for exactly this reason, although I hope never to need it.
                        Graham

Shogun / Pajero MY14 SG2 / GLX, Manual, Eiger Grey, Limo Tints, SPV 3.1, 18" Factory alloys in satin black.

Comment

• gta1898
                          • Jan 2014
                          • Chester. UK

Originally posted by Merts View Post

Can anyone with a MY17 NX advise where the DPF is located?
                          If it's the same set up as the UK and from what I hear it is as it's Euro 5 compliant etc, it's under the passengers seat area. As you say quite a way downstream for the exhaust manifold. From what you say about the location of the Triton DPF being in the engine bay, that's about the same location as my wife's MK7 VW Golf Tdi which I think is the better location, but having said that in the last three years I've never had a problem.
                          Graham

Comment

• muzzy
                            • Feb 2008
                            • Sydney

Originally posted by gta1898 View Post
                            We've had DPFs here since 2007 and unless you spend your life driving around the town and never go out on the open roads you shouldn't have a problem.

I've had my bus 3 years now and monitor all the DPF burns via Torque app and obd2 reader and not had any problems. Personally I would recommend buying an obd2 reader and torque app so you can check the car does its regens when it should, mine averages about 350-400 miles between DPF regens, but having said this thousands if not hundreds of thousands or even millions of car drivers with DPFs don't do this as they don't even know they exist !! If you do drive around town all the time then about once a week or maybe two weeks you will need to take the car on an open road for 30 minutes to allow the car to carry out a regen of the DPF, my regens last 5 minutes but the engine does need to be at about normal operating temperature. The price of DPFs here have fallen significantly as after market makers have started making them so buy the time you need to replace hopefully your aftermarket exhaust manufactures will have started making them.

In an ideal world I'd rather not have the DPF, more complex to me means more problems eventually, but as I said on a previous thread just be glad you've only got one the LC200 has two, being a V engine.

HHow do you monitor the regen through the app?
                            I've only seen cat temperature readings?

Comment

• Dug1
                              • Jun 2011
                              • Far South Coast NSW

I have my Ultragauge alarmed for when the Cat temp reaches 600. This lets me know when a regen is taking place.

The Cat temp works well and monitors EGT well. Better than drilling and tapping for a separate EGT sensor, where to mount gauge etc etc and for the sake of a couple of degrees is plenty good enough for me.

Note that the UG shows 650 to 680 during a regen and has hit 700 a couple of times but this is rare.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X