• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

"If loss of motive power occurs, it may cause an accident without warning causing injury to the vehicle occupants or pedestrians"

These are jeeps words concerning the recall. It is not just a park issue. This a safety issue. Some people probably couldn,t care less and tell the missus and kids not to worry, she,ll be right. Others value their families life and do not want to drive something that may or may not suddenly lose momentum and cause an accident. What will happen if it does occurr and an accident arise with loss of life? You can bet ya balls that the insurance company will say..."Oh well, you were warned by the car manufacturer and you chose to ignore the safety warning".

Its not quite a clear cut and dried case of someone not knowing where the handbrake is or anything else. The issue appears to be poor wire crimping on the ZF 9 speed gearbox. These boxes are also fitted to other manufacturers cars.

I wouldnt want to drive the bloody thing either. I was pissed off when my NW went into limp mode due to a turbo hose coming loose. Sudden lose of power is not a nice feeling. Depending on how fast your going and what driving conditions are around, it could be fatal.

Just glad I didnt buy a jeep.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dhula
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2012
      • South of Perth

Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
      I don't know if I should laugh or applause (sarcastically) them comments
      I think I will laugh at them....cause they where kind of funny
      If referring to mine then yes, meant tongue in cheek.
      Can't take Jeeps too seriously after all
      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• m_and_m
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2010
        • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by dhula View Post
        If you were the CEO of Jeep and gave that argument to the beak after someone was seriously hurt or worse I reckon he'd throw the book at you.
        All car makers need to do something to prevent accidents due to a failure they know about and if they don't they should be held to account
        I think you missed my point. They are going to fix it. Being aware would make me more vigilant to ensure P is properly engaged until the recall is implemented. What are you suggesting...that Jeep immediately ground all affected vehicles? That isnt how it works and is absurd.
        2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
        2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
        Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
          "If loss of motive power occurs, it may cause an accident without warning causing injury to the vehicle occupants or pedestrians"

These are jeeps words concerning the recall. It is not just a park issue. This a safety issue. Some people probably couldn,t care less and tell the missus and kids not to worry, she,ll be right. Others value their families life and do not want to drive something that may or may not suddenly lose momentum and cause an accident. What will happen if it does occurr and an accident arise with loss of life? You can bet ya balls that the insurance company will say..."Oh well, you were warned by the car manufacturer and you chose to ignore the safety warning".

Its not quite a clear cut and dried case of someone not knowing where the handbrake is or anything else. The issue appears to be poor wire crimping on the ZF 9 speed gearbox. These boxes are also fitted to other manufacturers cars.

I wouldnt want to drive the bloody thing either. I was pissed off when my NW went into limp mode due to a turbo hose coming loose. Sudden lose of power is not a nice feeling. Depending on how fast your going and what driving conditions are around, it could be fatal.

Just glad I didnt buy a jeep.
          Where did you find that info?

The Australian government recall linked earlier in this thread only talks about the Park issue - nothing about loss of power.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• wasarangie
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2010
            • Ocean Grove

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
            Where did you find that info?

The Australian government recall linked earlier in this thread only talks about the Park issue - nothing about loss of power.
            SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Is that the same article I quoted earlier in the thread? Nothing there about "loss of motive power", nor in the government recall.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Stoneman
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2012
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by dhula View Post
                If referring to mine then yes, meant tongue in cheek.
                Can't take Jeeps too seriously after all
                NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• Stoneman
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2012
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                  I think you missed my point. They are going to fix it. Being aware would make me more vigilant to ensure P is properly engaged until the recall is implemented. What are you suggesting...that Jeep immediately ground all affected vehicles? That isnt how it works and is absurd.
                  This is my thinking

It's all internet marketing games

Bag the other companies to make themseleves look better

I don't trust anything on the internet

Since owning and running a business the things you are offered that they can do for you on the internet is scary
                  They can influence reviews, spark conversations in forums.....(I'm telling you forums are a gold mine for owners,Especially the ones that can and will influence the market)

And the more threads like this the better for ummmmm MM

I'm just glad I never brought a challenger with an auto IMO, I feel sorry for some guys that have and didn't meet their expectations

I can't stand seeing these sales tactics being used just like people talking

If a supplier comes in bagging another company to sell products I show them the door,
                  9 times out of 10 it's crap!
                  Also with the internet if someone is writing a review anywhere forum blog or any where I would consider what are they gaining from it

Recent example is a tyre review I had read recently.

I'm telling you we are turning into a country of idiots! Trust me I've tried to hire them!lol
                  Luckily we are not all idiots, I eventually found one....now need a third

Have a lovely day, my coffee is cold now

Last edited by Stoneman; 06-11-16, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• Stoneman
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2012
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by wasarangie View Post
                    So lets get it clear. The loom has a short and puts the transmission into neutral. not a sudden loss of control or braking, just put it back in drive, at worst turn the key too accessory and back on. The insurance, YOUI in this case, looking to get out of a possible claim, we all know how insurance companies like to pay out. And this makes a headline, why because it's a Jeep?

And not one Jeep in Australia has been reported as having this issue.

What about the Challenger autos going into limp mode at will? Sudden loss of power, Does this make headlines? Or even get MMA to have a recall to fix the problem??? Or even acknowledge that there is a problem.
                    Sorry mate I missed this thread before I typed mine

I'm in aggreience with you

Comment

• fester
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2013
                      • Gympie Qld

Just saw this, This is as much of an American thing as a Jeep thing. Americans don't use the handbrake they rely on "Park" to hold their cars in general. They don't class it as a handbrake, they call it an E brake (emergency).

This is also not new to Jeep unfortunately. The previous generation WH Grand also had a similar problem where the circuitry in the transfer case went dodgy over time and could put the transfer into neutral causing a similar outcome. The fix was to reprogram the trans ECU to reduce the sensitivity of whatever sensor was responsible. The outcome, most owners lost 4wd for a significant time till Jeep finally fixed it with programming again.

All cars have issues like this these but unfortunately Jeep appears worse than most at dealing with these sorts of problems.

Comment

• Stoneman
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by fester View Post
                        Just saw this, This is as much of an American thing as a Jeep thing. Americans don't use the handbrake they rely on "Park" to hold their cars in general. They don't class it as a handbrake, they call it an E brake (emergency).

This is also not new to Jeep unfortunately. The previous generation WH Grand also had a similar problem where the circuitry in the transfer case went dodgy over time and could put the transfer into neutral causing a similar outcome. The fix was to reprogram the trans ECU to reduce the sensitivity of whatever sensor was responsible. The outcome, most owners lost 4wd for a significant time till Jeep finally fixed it with programming again.

All cars have issues like this these but unfortunately Jeep appears worse than most at dealing with these sorts of problems.
                        Or maybe the internet portray that when someone first had the nuts to put a lemon on display?....unfortunately it was a jeep

Comment

• Stoneman
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2012
                          • Melbourne

Sometimes I'm on the road and I think " Jeeper's there every where "

I hold copy wright on that slogan that includes miss spelling of the slogan also

Comment

• Ent
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2014
                            • Tasmania

Interesting reading the reliability ranking and Jeep basically is at the bottom along with Landrover. The difference is Landrover at least attempts to fix the problem.

Reliability appears to be a mindset with manufacturers. Some just get it right and others not so much. For me standing by a problem by a manufacturer is important. Even if you have the most reliable brand it is no help if the manufacturer ignores your problem.

I do wonder given Jeep's shocking reputation if they simply just do not give a stuff and just figure run more ads and she will be right?

For me length of warranty is important guide to reliability along with service intervals.

Looking at second car for a commuter and five plus years an unlimited kms warranty with 15,000km one year service intervals are my key criteria.
                            2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• fester
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by Stoneman View Post
                              Or maybe the internet portray that when someone first had the nuts to put a lemon on display?....unfortunately it was a jeep
                              Not sure what you mean there but if you are questioning if Jeep are actually that bad to deal with then I can confirm yes they are. I was a Jeep owner and forum member for a few years and there is certainly a history on the forum of people having to fight tooth and nail to get warranty issues sorted. The dodgy transfer case fix took well over 12 months for owners here and in the States to get Jeep to acknowledge they stuffed it with the first fix and do something about correcting the dodgy correction.

Comment

• erad
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2015
                                • Cooma NSW

You have probably heard it before, but here goes....

A voice carries across a valley - "I bought a Jeep"

Another voice replies "Me too - What Colour?"

First voice replies - "Black - the bloody thing caught fire"

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X