• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jc20b
    • Nov 2008

3.5 petrol hesitates at 25-30% load

Hey,

Has anyone had a experiance with a 01 3.5l hesitating from 1300-1700 rpm up slight hills on 30% load.

I ran evo scan to have a look and its knocking timing back a little in that spot.

SO I used openecu to flash the rpm map retarded a little timing in the spot to see didnt make much differance.

Its got the stock map in in now and just avoiding that spot.
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

There's been a few V6 owners on here over the last few weeks reporting hesitations under load....
    How long since your plugs and leads have been changed?
    Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• geopaj
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Adelaide

Is it hesitating when you first apply (or add throttle) or is it more of a misfire?

If it's more of a misfire have a look at the thread started by me called "NL miss but only at low rpm, under load, and with approx 20% to 40% throttle" (http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=20119).

I believe the NL and NM-NP had the same 3.5l V6
      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Team SPJC
        • Sep 2009
        • Chinchilla, Qld

Hi there, what do you mean by hesitating? my V6 at certain revs seems to slip and revs drop, (like a auto trans slips when belts are loose) but mine is a manual, could these two things be the same or diferent. I am very interested to hear from yon about this.
        Cheers
        Pajero NM 2002 Petrol 3.5 Lt V6, GE 6 inch Driving Lights, Oricom uhf50, GME AE409L 6 & 9 db Antenna, Binnatone Sat Nav, ECB Nudge Bar, Midford Cargo Barrier, Integra Sidesteps, Heavey Duty Maxitrac Shocks & Springs, Tera Trac 265/70 R16, MM Headlight protectors, E-Bay Snorkel, Emergency Hammer, Twin Screen DVD Player To shut the kids up on long trips.
        angels 16 Sports Rims, Full Set Of Nasty Nodders Dash Figurines and a Dashboard sprung Jesus for those tougher treks. Jayco 1989 16ft pop top.

Comment

• jc20b
          • Nov 2008

Thanks will have a look at the post

Its not a slip or anything like that like in an auto trans

Its just flat our miss sounding slighty like a really bad pre igntion but its nearly impossible to be det.

I was thinking igniton coils leads plugs etc though I want to sell the damn thing in the next month so wasnt to keen on spending money. Might have to i guess.

Comment

• psproule
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Googong, NSW

It sounds like the knock sensor picking up pre-ignition at that point. Crap fuel? try some 95 or 98 in it and see what it does. I do know that the 3.5's like to have their ignition system in top nick. Good fresh leads and the right plugs are a must.
            2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
            2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• jace
              • Jan 2009
              • Caroline Springs

Sounds like It could be the same issue as Danola http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=20557

I would check the Spark Plug Tube Seals. They tend to fail on the NM 3.5 V6. Once they fail they soak the leads where they join the Rocker Cover and can even send oil down the tube when they are bad. This will definitely cause rough running and misfire.

Checking is fairly simple. You can get at the front driver side Spark plug lead without removing anything significant. Pop it out and have a look for oil around the rubber section that creates the seal to the rocker cover. If there is oil around the lead then you've found your issue. A look into the tube will show how bad this one is.

You should also be able to check the lead closest to the firewall on the driver side without much hassle.

Fixing is a bit of a job but has good results. You need to replace the plug seals, Rocker Cover Gaskets, Leads, and Spark Plugs. If this is your issue check this link for details http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=5357
              (1) 2009 NT VRX, 2' lift & Polyair bags, Intervolt Duel Battery, ARB Bullbar & Spotties, Safari Snorkel, Long Range Tank, Rear Diff Lock, Bushskinz Int/Sump Plates & Side Steps, Redark Break Controller, Killa roof rack

(2) 2010 NT Exceed, Redarc Brake Controller, Goodyear Wrangler ATs, SPV EGR mod

(3) Going soon... 2000 NM GLX, Impco/BRC LPG, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 265/75R16s, ARB Bullbar, TigerzII Winch, Snorkel, Tekonsha Brake Controller, Engine Guardian.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X