• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Nudge bar and front bumper

Was interested to find a used nudge bar and install it myself. Question is will I have to remove the front bumper? I looked at a few youtube videos and especially one for the Shogun and the installer only removed and put back the front grill and left the bumper unmolested. Wondering if this applies to all nudge bars? I really don't want to remove the front bumper.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • deekay
    • Oct 2009
    • Perth WA

Nudge bar fitting instructions

Check out this thread. It is for an NW but the nudge bar is the same.

Comment

• dreamerman
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • Sydney

Originally posted by deekay View Post
      Check out this thread. It is for an NW but the nudge bar is the same.
      Thanks, you mean nudge bar for NW will fit a NX? Would you also happen to know if previous variants like NP/NS/NT also suit NX?
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• deekay
        • Oct 2009
        • Perth WA

The NW bar will fit, not sure about the others but I think they will fit

Comment

• NXDaniel
          • Jan 2019
          • mooroolbark

i just fitted a nudge bar off an NT to my 2018 NX no dramas, just removed grill

Comment

• Jimred07
            • Oct 2017
            • Brisbane

Even a numpty like me can do it

I can hardly change a lighbulb, but I managed to install mine on my own in 45mins. Just make sure you have something to hold the bar in place as you tighten up the bolts unerneath REAL TIGHT.

Only thing I needed to buy was the 12mm Spade head drill bit to ream out the plastic under the grill - $12 from bunnings.

Spend time reading instructions 2-3 times, work it through in your mind and you'll nail it.

Comment

• dreamerman
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2009
              • Sydney

I found a nudge bar on ebay and I asked the seller if their bar can be bolted on without doing any cutting. They replied the following:

This is same as genuine design for NS NT, but it will also fits to NX and NW. Please refer the link below.
              https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=27292

The nudge bar is https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264465193005

In the Pajero link above, some said they had to "reaming the plastic clip holders to 18mm" and another said "I recently took my NS bar off and fitted to my NW . Bolted straight on."

So I am a bit confused. The seller did not answer my question directly so hope someone can share their experience.

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

Please let me clarify this.

A genuine Mitsubishi nudge bar for any gen 4 (NS NT NW NX) will fit any of the gen 4's. Yes they may have differing parts numbers over the years but fit to exactly the same points on the Pajeros.

Also, the link you posted is an exactly copy of a genuine nudge bar and fits exactly the same.

There is no cutting required of the main part of the plastic bumper with these types of nudge bars. You only have to ream out 2 very small plastic holes on the top leading edge of the front bumper which is hidden under where the grill sits on top of the bumper.

I have attached the fitting instructions for a genuine MM nudge bar that clearly shows where this reaming is done. If down the line you decide to remove the nudge bar this reaming will not be on show and not be detrimental to the vehicle.

The reason the holes are reamed out is that the top brackets and bolts for the nudge bar go through the top edge of the plasic bumper bolt underneath this is the metal sub structure that the bolts/washer are fastened too. The washers are slightly larger than the holes in the plastic thus you do not want to tighten them down onto plastic, possibly causing it to crack.

Hope this helps bud.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by aussieintas; 18-09-19, 01:32 AM.
                2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

Sorry forgot to say. Know this first hand as when I first got my NS I purchased a genuine MM nudge bar for an NW as it was the cheapest at the time. Fitted it myself, reaming the holes out mentioned above. Then decided to remove it and sold it to someone who from memory put it on his NT. Ran my Pajero with just the bumper for a few weeks before fitting a MMC bullbar.

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• dreamerman
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                    Please let me clarify this.
                    Many thanks - appreciate your time in writing this. One question, I looked up "reaming" and means "make hole bigger". I have limited tools in my arsenal and do you think I can ream the plastic bumper with a power drill?

Comment

• Keithyv
                      Valued Member
                      • May 2018
                      • Perth

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                      Many thanks - appreciate your time in writing this. One question, I looked up "reaming" and means "make hole bigger". I have limited tools in my arsenal and do you think I can ream the plastic bumper with a power drill?
                      I don't see why not. Diagram says 18mm diameter so if you have a very large drill bit you could do it. Or a rat-tail file. Or just hack away at it with a smaller drill bit
                      2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
                      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• aussieintas
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Sorell, Tasmania

I can't remember what I used to be honest......I think I may have used a round file.

Dont be too worried it doesn't have to be exactly 18mm only large enough for the bolt and washer not to touch the plastic.

Previously
                        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• dreamerman
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • Sydney

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                          Dont be too worried it doesn't have to be exactly 18mm only large enough for the bolt and washer not to touch the plastic.
                          Got it thanks. I think I have a few round files that can do the job on plastic. I can put both my kids to work by hefting the bar.

Comment

• aussieintas
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2013
                            • Sorell, Tasmania

It will only take a couple of mins to sort out tthe plastic.

Have a look at the thread below, good pics etc.

Previously
                            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• dreamerman
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • Sydney

I went to inspect a new nudge bar but did not buy as I am not sure of the mounting points. Seems the nudge bar is only bolted on both tow anchor points and nothing else. See pic the seller sent me. Can't be right isn't it? Would have thought there should be at least 4 points being mounted on to the frame.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X