Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > General Info

General Info Pros and cons of different makes and models (incl. international)

Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Thanks Jason, good info there.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 1 Week Ago

OK Iíll pop my head above the trenches, why on earth would you not consider a Pajero Sport? After all,itís basically a Triton with an eight speed gearbox that locks up in third thru eighth, is comfortable and a nice drive when not towing.

I can speak from experience having towed an 18.5 ft 2600 atm van on the big lap with an NT Paj where the Paj did really well. But now having had the Paj Sport for over a year, and having towed the same rig to remote Eyre Peninsula and back along with other side trips, the Paj Sport does it better, with typically a standard tow seeing 100 kmh in seventh gear locked up at just on 2000 rpm. Iíve done a few modifications to it, but certainly on dirt itís much better.

Just my opinion, not looking for world war three as I was a doubter, but I must say that the modern design really is excellent.

Greg

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Slide, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, home built tinny loader, Almac Outboard Slide, More to come
Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
OK Iíll pop my head above the trenches, why on earth would you not consider a Pajero Sport? After all,itís basically a Triton with an eight speed gearbox that locks up in third thru eighth, is comfortable and a nice drive when not towing.

I can speak from experience having towed an 18.5 ft 2600 atm van on the big lap with an NT Paj where the Paj did really well. But now having had the Paj Sport for over a year, and having towed the same rig to remote Eyre Peninsula and back along with other side trips, the Paj Sport does it better, with typically a standard tow seeing 100 kmh in seventh gear locked up at just on 2000 rpm. Iíve done a few modifications to it, but certainly on dirt itís much better.

Just my opinion, not looking for world war three as I was a doubter, but I must say that the modern design really is excellent.

Greg
Triton wagon/ Pajero Sport, can you get a GVM upgrade at all?

If you could probably be not a bad vehicle for 250 to 300 000K's looked after.

The OP originally suggested he had a Payload problem & that's what I can see with Pajero Sport for me personally.

600KG Payload & 80KG roof load, which is fine if there is only a couple with no mods to vehicle, otherwise 600kg payload will be exceeded very fast with 250kg ball weight added to vehicle.

250KG Ball weight + 25kg's towbar (Conservative) 150KG for 2 x adults,
40 Kg's decent set of tyres is = 465KG's
Leaves Payload 135Kg's left with no bash plates on the vehicle
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I'd love a Sport but Jason is Sport on, the payload is the issue and the Sport has a lot less than the NX. It's getting down to the same payload as a Land Cruiser and they fail at the rate of 67% according to the guy from Weight Station.

GCM isn't the problem, it's all to do with GVM and weight on the rear axle.

That's why the utes are good, they generally have payloads around (and over) 1,000kg.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 1 Week Ago

Valid points Jason, I have not researched if the GVM can be upgraded, but would think that it could be, based on the basic ladder frame Triton construction.

As for the weight problem, caravanning is always about trade-offs, you put something in you usually have to take something out. An example is a generator which I don’t carry, but others would see that as an essential. The 80kg roof limit is another tight one but I now carry a tinny that weighs in at 63kg, so with racks and a removable home built boat loader, I can stay under the roof limit.

As well I chose a 10hp two stroke outboard that weighs only 26kg and is carried in the cargo space on an Almac slide. But I don’t have drawers in the back which are heavy and in my case unnecessary. I’ve also upgraded the rear springs and having now been away few times now with the tinny it all works pretty well.

I come out of the aircraft game where weight trade off is a daily activity and something I’m always thinking about. Every trip away I end up taking something out.

Greg

2018 QE Pajero Sport GLS, Factory Accessories: Alloy Bull Bar, Tow Bar, Underbody Protection, Aftermarket: Uniden CB, Redarc Electric Brake Controller, Bushman Cooler, Rhino Roof Bars; Full Tint, OCAM Extendable Tow Mirrors, Fridge Slide, Kickass Battery Box with Projecta DC DC charger, King KCRS-23 with the Peddars 5899 bump stops, home built tinny loader, Almac Outboard Slide, More to come
Tows a 2015 Billabong Grove 186
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
i got 50L stackable ones from Bunnings for $15ea and I just load which ever ones I need. I have one each for fishing, recovery, work, spares and just a spare one for odds and ends. I usually only have 1 in the car but on a beach fishing trip I will have 3.

The good thing is that I can stack them on one side and there is still room on the other side for my Engel.

Here's the link -----> https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-stor...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
thanks, mate...

do you have any sort of shelf in the back of the Paj, or do they just sit on the cargo floor?
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Grey Grumbly View Post
Valid points Jason, I have not researched if the GVM can be upgraded, but would think that it could be, based on the basic ladder frame Triton construction.

As for the weight problem, caravanning is always about trade-offs, you put something in you usually have to take something out. An example is a generator which I donít carry, but others would see that as an essential. The 80kg roof limit is another tight one but I now carry a tinny that weighs in at 63kg, so with racks and a removable home built boat loader, I can stay under the roof limit.

As well I chose a 10hp two stroke outboard that weighs only 26kg and is carried in the cargo space on an Almac slide. But I donít have drawers in the back which are heavy and in my case unnecessary. Iíve also upgraded the rear springs and having now been away few times now with the tinny it all works pretty well.

I come out of the aircraft game where weight trade off is a daily activity and something Iím always thinking about. Every trip away I end up taking something out.

Greg

One of the better weight saving ideas I found was replacing the heavy cast iron cook pot for a Bedourie......more versatile and way lighter....Every little bit helps.

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more..

Telegraph X camper
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

I solved the issue of me disliking the Isuzu.

The new 2020 model looks much better and more like a Triton.

I'll sit back and see how the Paj goes with the weight and change if it all gets too hard.

Appreciate all the feedback.
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
I solved the issue of me disliking the Isuzu.

The new 2020 model looks much better and more like a Triton.

I'll sit back and see how the Paj goes with the weight and change if it all gets too hard.

Appreciate all the feedback.
Wise choice, think twice & buy once, wait for the Mazda version of Isuzu platform possibly as well, could be a nicer finished vehicle + isuzu will have ironed out hopefully any glaring faults with new model
And once ACCC is finished with Mazda in the courts they'll possibly be quite that much better than times gone past with aftersales as well
Old 1 Week Ago
Valued Member

Yes, buying a new model can be a problem.

Remember when Microsoft launched Vista

But that's another story.