Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories

Bolted on bits, factory and aftermarket accessories Discussion of after-market extras: winches, bull bars, tow bars (and Towing), roof racks, snorkels, and other cool stuff

Old 12-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geopaj View Post
I used a solenoid pack like this ($42.50 delivered)
That solenoid looks identical to the item that's fitted inside my Grande/Dominator winch controller.

Problems encountered by me (fortunately at home during testing and not out bush when really needed):
- the solenoid is 'held' within the control box in a groove that allows the whole solenoid to move up and down. Flying leads became trapped between the casing and the solenoid and relentless corrugations resulted in a wire being pounded into two. Winch no worky.
-forward and reverse coils within the solenoid are formed on bobbins that are free to rotate on a round metal armature/post. The only restraint for the rotation of bobbins is the fine wire of the coils. The fine wire eventually breaks and one or more functions of the solenoid won't work.

Both of the above problems can be prevented with strategic application of glue or silicone to prevent movement.
Old 12-01-20
Valued Member

That's good to know, thanks for that.

I don't have a control box with this winch, so was going to either make something else to work or mount it inside the engine bay
Old 12-01-20
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
Thanks for that. You've found the eBay parts reliable? I was a bit iffy about the strength of the dyneema and whether the relay would handle what they say it will. If they are up to task that sounds perfect for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
That's good to know, thanks for that.

I don't have a control box with this winch, so was going to either make something else to work or mount it inside the engine bay
I didn’t use the eBay rope so can’t comment on that but the solenoid pack and wireless remote has been great (they started life on my previous NL and were transferred with the winch to my NT when I bought it).

I mounted the solenoids in a low profile box which is attached behind the grill. (Actually, the solenoids are hard mounted to the car and the box is just cable tied on to protect the solenoids from water etc coming through the grill)

As well as a wireless remote I have also added both a winch master switch plus a winch in/out momentary rocker switch. This avoids accidentally activating the winch and give a reliable fallback should the wireless remote fail (or the battery go flat)

I also didn't like the idea of having a large un-fused cable right at the front of the vehicle (first thing to be damaged in an accident??) so installed a TJM isolator. At $25 for the kit (switch, bracket and short battery cable) I reckon you'd be crazy to have a winch and not use one.

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')
Old 12-01-20
Valued Member

Awesome, thanks geopaj. You addressed pretty much all the other little things I was thinking of-isolation switch and fall back controller on case of issues with the remote

I actually liked the idea of wired remote because of the reasons you mentioned, plus the ease of losing wireless remote. Problem is they are much more expensive, so a secondary rocker switch will suit me just fine I think.