• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

PatJero 3, The NXt chapter.

So, I'd sold the trusty NP PatJero (as dubbed by 2yo grandson) to a very happy new owner, I'd done a heap of research, and I was convinced I was buying a D4 Disco SDV6. Roughly a 2012 model. I had my eye on about 6 vehicles at Sydney dealers and finance was sorted & ready to go. On a Monday morning I was in the car ready to drive to Sydney and pick one out. But instead I did the sensible thing and went to the nearest Mitsu dealer and did a deal on a brand new MY16 NX GLX.

Is it as nice a vehicle as a D4? No. But it is 100,000km younger for the same money, equally well proven, and known to be very capable on & off road. It's just a little less refined and appointed, and if my previous experience is anything to go by, it will be highly reliable. Some random comparison thoughts;

The 3.2CRD is now a lot quieter. But it is still noisy in comparison to other products and feels a generation behind the competition. Once up on boost it is a lot less peaky than the NP, with a good spread of Torque from 1800RPM through to near redline. But, and it's a big but..... the flat spot off the line before it gets on boost is absolutely terrible, bordering on dangerous, compared to the manual NP 3.2. Pulling out into flowing traffic is a challenge as it dawdles off from standstill, waiting for boost to build before it will add fuel and thus any meaningful power. I'm sure this is due to emissions tuning but it needs fixing. It has me seriously considering a re-map once a few KM are under the belt, or modding the MAP sensor output.

This is the first Auto 4WD I have owned and for the most part it's great. First thing you notice from the NP Manual is that there is literally no engine braking if left to it's own devices. It's simple to knock it back a gear down steep hills so no big deal. But it's when hooking up the ski boat that things go a little sideways for me. Again probably due to emissions tuning the transmission does it's best to get into top gear ASAP. And it is reluctant to kick down without a boot-full. So if you let it do it's thing it will hold 5th gear with the torque converter mostly unlocked. Now before all the caravaners jump on me and say "tow in 4th only", our ski rig weighs about 1/2 the average caravan with no frontal area / drag, and on flat surfaces turning 5th cog should not be an issue. So when towing I find myself using manual mode all the time and dropping back to 4th at the slightest hint of an incline. And in 4th the converter stays locked. Ok, no big deal. But do you know what I want..... Paddle Shift. Seriously. If you have ever driven a car with proper paddle shift (eg, our two Alfa's) you will know how convenient it is to be able to keep your hands on the wheel while swapping cogs. But I doubt we will ever see it on this (dying) gen Pajero.

But those and a couple of other niggles I'll mention later aside, the NX Pajero still represents in my opinion, outstanding value for money. In my research nothing else new came close while offering the same amount of cargo space and standard features. So with a few compromises it seems we are destined to stay in the Pajero family for a while to come.

Cheers - Pat
    Attached Files
    Last edited by psproule; 05-12-16, 06:16 PM.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4
  • outbackogre
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2010
    • Melbourne

Well done Pat, on behalf of all those who feared you might be lost to the dark side, I'm glad you stuck with the mighty Paj. After a great run out of my NP, I also recently upgraded to a Gen 4 (though not a brand spanker). As I'm doing with many other Paj devotees, I'll follow your build progress with interest.
    My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• cannonsjs
      • Mar 2014
      • Melbourne

Nice one Pat, I've just bought a MY16 NX GLX as well. I was seriously considering the Pajero Sport and the Everest and in the end went for the tried and tested Pajero.

I'm coming from a PC Challenger which has an even bigger flat spot off the line, so to me the Paj actually felt really good in comparison. lol.
      2016 NX Pajero GLX - Bushkinz Bash Plates, 50mm Ultimate Suspension Lift, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Kuhmo AT51
      2014 PC Challenger Base - Bushskinz & MM Bash Plates, Uniden 8050S, Projecta Dual Battery Kit, Falken Wildpeak AT02

Comment

• Vicbitter
        • May 2016
        • Melbourne

The spv unit will help with the flat spot off the line.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• psproule
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by Vicbitter View Post
          The spv unit will help with the flat spot off the line.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
          I did the resistor mod with about 150km on the clock. Slight difference but not much.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

its not only the "flat spot",its the auto.If you need to get away quickly hook it into sport.It will then drop into 1st if you stop,or slow right down.If left to its own devices an auto will often try to start of in 2 or evn third.The response in first is much better then "auto" but have your hand ready to shift into 2nd,because it will rev quite quicky with very little slip from the trans.Thats when a paddle shift would be nice!
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• pajaj70
              • Apr 2016
              • Melbourne

Congrats on your purchase, when deciding myself which 4x4 to purchase I did quite a few multiple tests of some on the market and found the pajero the best overall for performance, ride, handling and comfort in my price range, sub $55 k.
              NX 2016 GLX , Boos bash plates, catch can and flashlube primary filter.

Comment

• nj swb
                Resident
                • Jun 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                But do you know what I want..... Paddle Shift. Seriously. If you have ever driven a car with proper paddle shift (eg, our two Alfa's) you will know how convenient it is to be able to keep your hands on the wheel while swapping cogs. But I doubt we will ever see it on this (dying) gen Pajero.

I had paddle-shift on my Golf, and used it extensively - spent much more time driving in manual mode with the paddles than in auto. I want paddle-shift in my NT, and also want it in Shorty once the conversion is done, so I've started looking into it.

The electrical side of things is pretty simple (if you're happy for the paddles to only work with the stick in the Sport position, and do nothing in Auto). The biggest unknown for me so far is where to source the shift paddles themselves. I figure the Challenger paddles might be able to fit, and I noticed Wholesale Automatics have what appear to be an aftermarket set - probably for their Toyota conversions.

One day...

Have fun with the build.
                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• mr_bosman
                  • Oct 2014
                  • Warrnambool

Originally posted by nj swb View Post

I had paddle-shift on my Golf, and used it extensively - spent much more time driving in manual mode with the paddles than in auto. I want paddle-shift in my NT, and also want it in Shorty once the conversion is done, so I've started looking into it.

The electrical side of things is pretty simple (if you're happy for the paddles to only work with the stick in the Sport position, and do nothing in Auto). The biggest unknown for me so far is where to source the shift paddles themselves. I figure the Challenger paddles might be able to fit, and I noticed Wholesale Automatics have what appear to be an aftermarket set - probably for their Toyota conversions.

One day...

Have fun with the build.
                  The outlander paddles may be tbe go, my old mans outlander has the same steering wheel and audio controls as my NW PAJ!
                  2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
                  http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by mr_bosman View Post
                    The outlander paddles may be tbe go, my old mans outlander has the same steering wheel and audio controls as my NW PAJ!
                    That's good to know.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Dicko1
                      Valued Member
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Cairns, FNQ

I think that you were lucky to snap out of your momentary madness session and grab the Pajero. We all know you chose wisely in the end!!

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Gympie Qld

After experiencing MM's paddle shift in the Challenger I don't miss it for a second. Nothing like the proper paddle shifts in the Euros.

Challenger actually needs it as the power is poor and the auto is rubbish with even worse programming. The Pajero auto is a delight in comparison and I don't use manual shift anywhere near as often but personally I like a proper shifter.

Comment

• psproule
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Googong, NSW

Maybe I just miss the manual. I know that adding paddle shift should be easy since it's just an extension of the switches on the shifter. But having a hunt around it seems no Paj ever came with them and then I doubt there is a loom / canbus interface inside the steering wheel to connect to. And adding slip rings would be impossible. Interesting to hear the same wheel is used in the challenger with paddles though.

Tonight's annoyance after having dinner out..... Why dont the headlights auto switch off? Still.

New track-mount Rhino Racks arrived today after a 5 week wait. Time to pull the hood lining down
                          Last edited by psproule; 07-12-16, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• Pickle
                            Administrator
                            • Jun 2007
                            • All over Oz

Welcome back Pat
                            First mod....get rid of that nag screen for me
                            Dave
                            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• m_and_m
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2010
                              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Good chioce Pat.
                              Coming to the NX from a NP recently as well, you'll notice more than just the flat spot though.
                              Is still great value for money and with a rear diff lock too. 👍
                              2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                              2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                              Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X