• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mmannion
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Birth place of QLD

Engine watchdog TM4 twin sensor

Anyone run one? I like the idea of monitoring engine and gearbox temp at the same time so thinking of getting one. Also like the idea of not having to introduce fittings into auto trans and cooling system hoses creating potential trouble spots for leaks etc. if anyone is running one where is the best place to mount the sensors on the auto box and motor?

Here's the link http://enginewatchdog.com/tm4.html
    02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee
  • Snapcatcher
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2009
    • Brisbane

Ive got the older TM2. I didnt fix my faulty stock temp gauge so I rely on it.

Got the sensor mounted on a bracket next to the manifold and rocker cover, on the passenger side. Obviously the temp is relative to the mounting position, but you get to know what temp is normal and what is hot.
    Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• mmannion
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Birth place of QLD

Thanks Marc, I noticed on my nm there is a threaded hole on the front of the passenger side cylinder head, the corner closest to the intake manifold is this the area where you have your sensor mounted? Also where did you mount the head unit?
      02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

Comment

• brianwanless
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2008
        • Mackay Nth Qld

I have had an Engine Watchdog for a few years and find it very accurate and useful. I have a diesel and fitted the sender under a bolt at the top of the head near the front. Under the thermostat housing bolt is a popular spot. The twin sender is a great idea, I am tempted to upgrade. On the auto I would try and fit the sender near the outlet pipe to the cooler.
        On my NP I have a slot above the ashtray and cig lighter, the head unit fitted very neatly into there. It could go in the ashtray slot, if you dont smoke. But I've already got my caravan brake controller there.
        It is easy to miss the temp guage creeping up, then it's too late. This device alerts you no matter what causes the temp to rise. Money well spent. Brian.
        NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

• mmannion
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Birth place of QLD

Thanks for the info Brian.

Comment

• SWB 89
            • Feb 2012
            • Toowoomba

These look good too.

Comment

• mmannion
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Birth place of QLD

Yeah I did look at those, I think the display unit looks better and a little cheaper but not Aussie made so that's why I was leaning towards the other one.

Comment

• schnitzel
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • Bendigo

Originally posted by mmannion View Post
                Yeah I did look at those, I think the display unit looks better and a little cheaper but not Aussie made so that's why I was leaning towards the other one.
                the other thing you need to look at is where you are going to mount it. The Guardians display can be flipped over to enable more mounting positions, the watchdog cant.

Whilst I would have preferred to buy the watchdog, where I have it mounted under the binnacle in the delica the watchdog didn't fit.

Brother has the watchdog in his and the performance between the 2 is the same, just make sure whatever bolt you bolt it too is not directly behind the fan as the air flow can distort the reading, some people have used the front bolt on the thermotat housing and not got consistent readings.

My series 2 guardian has provision for 2 inputs, with the second only triggering an alarm.
                Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• mmannion
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Birth place of QLD

Thanks for the info schnitzel. I do need to do some measuring to see if there is a suitable position to mount before I make a decision on which one to go for, but I think the watchdog is the only one where you can monitor gearbox and motor temp at the same time. Even though you can get a second sensor for for the guardian I think it's only for alarm or hook to oil sender unit, is that correct?

Comment

• schnitzel
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Bendigo

looking at their ad it looks like you can get a reading on two temperature sensors plus control up to three relays from either of the inputs. This is a lot more than my older version will do. In theory it looks like you can control a thermo fan off engine temp at one setting a second at a higher setting and also control a fan for instance on a trans cooler off the second sensor, and switch between the two sensor readings by pushing a button on the unit.
                    This all assumes I have read their new ad correctly of course but I might have to get another one for the rally car and play with it.
                    Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• mmannion
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • Birth place of QLD

Thanks mate, I was getting a little confused myself reading it but I think you maybe right.

Comment

• Snapcatcher
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by mmannion View Post
                        Thanks Marc, I noticed on my nm there is a threaded hole on the front of the passenger side cylinder head, the corner closest to the intake manifold is this the area where you have your sensor mounted? Also where did you mount the head unit?
                        Sensor is on a bracket, which the dipstick bolts to. It's pretty close to the side of the heads so im happy enough. Seems to be very accurate and changes temps as expected.

Have the unit mounted in front of the ash tray slot. I removed the ash tray and just used double sided tape to fix it in position. Havent got around to hard wiring it yet and just use the cig socket.
                        Attached Files
                        Silver NM Pajero 3.5L Auto. ARB bullbar, Opposite Lock Rear bar, Front Lokka, Uniden UHF, Bilstein shocks, Lovells HD coils, TJM OX 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 33" BFG KM2's on 16x8 Advanti Rims, Custom bash plate, Cargo Barrier, Lightforce 170s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Ironman Awning, Duel battery system.

Comment

• mmannion
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Birth place of QLD

Thanks for the pics mate.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X