Below Nav Bar

Collapse

CTP insurance - do we really have to get separate CTP for every state?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alanymarce
    • Apr 2015
    • Colombia

CTP insurance - do we really have to get separate CTP for every state?

It seems that CTP insurance covers only one state. We're going to be travelling through every state over a 9 month trip and it seems that we're going to have to get CTP insurance for every state before arriving.

Is this how it works? What do people do who live near a state border and travel frequently between states? For example, does someone who lives in Kingscliff and works in Coollangatta have to maintain CTP insurance in NSW and QLD?
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

FROM INTERNET....

But what happens if you have an interstate car accident?

In Queensland if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident then you make a claim for damages against the compulsory third party insurer of the vehicle that caused the accident. However this is not the same in all states and territories. If your accident occurs in a state other than Queensland then a claim for damages is brought against the following (providing the vehicle you believe to be at fault is also registered in that state):
    • New South Wales: the compulsory third party insurer of “at fault” vehicle;
    • Victoria: Transport Accident Commission;
    • Western Australia: Insurance Commission of Western Australia;
    • South Australia: Motor Accident Commission via Allianz Australia Limited
    • Northern Territory: Territory Insurance Office (TIO)
    • Tasmania: Motor Accidents Insurance Board (MAIB)
    • ACT: compulsory third party insurer of “at fault” vehicle

In the event of interstate accidents, the law of that state will apply. For example if you live in Queensland but your car accident occurred in NSW then the laws surrounding motor vehicle accidents and personal injury of NSW will apply. There are different compensation laws and processes in every state and territory and these will affect how you make an interstate claim.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

The OP is from overseas, planning to bring his own car to Australia for a holiday - not a permanent import. I'm guessing that changes things a little.

For Australians, CTP comes with our registration - state based registration, state based CTP insurance. I've never really looked, but I've always assumed that my CTP insurance covers me anywhere in Australia.

I don't know what the OP needs to do to "register" his vehicle for driving in Australia, but I would've thought CTP would be an integral part of that process.

Presuming "registration" will occur in whichever state the vehicle lands, I'd start by contacting CTP insurers in that state and asking them what their policies will or will not cover. Which he may have already done?
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Just to add re the OP's question, to the best of my knowledge, no-one in Australia takes out extra CTP insurance in another state other than the state where the vehicle is registered (& many of us travel interstate - I've never heard of a problem).

In case you are not aware, there are 3 main types of vehicle insurance here:
        - Compulsory Third Party (CTP - for bodily injury to other people only - this is required before a vehicle can be registered & is usually part of the registration certificate)
        - Third Party Property (TPP = optional - covers damage to other people's vehicles & property only, not your vehicle)
        - Comprehensive (Comp - optional - same cover as TPP but also covers your vehicle)

I addition to the CTP, it is wise to take out either TPP or Comp to avoid the risk of large damages claims being made against you in a collision (I believe TPP should be compulsory, but it isn't). Some people decide their car isn't worth enough to justify the cost of Comp & only take out TPP. Both TPP & Comp are valid Australia wide.

Hope this helps & enjoy your visit!
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

be aware as well that the CTP insurance that is part of the registration (at least here in WA) is personal injury insurance - it covers injuries to the third party in case of an accident - it does not cover vehicle damage, that is part of your regular insurance policy - This has caught out a few who read CTP and take it at face value based on its name, its not a true third party insurance like you get from the insurance companies.

I know other Aussies may think I am being pedantic here but in every other case I have come across CTP means vehicle insurance not injury insurance - in NZ what we call CTP here is under the ACC levies and I believe it is similar in other countries that have similar schemes
          1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
          *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
          1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• alanymarce
            • Apr 2015
            • Colombia

We're bringing the vehicle in on a carnet - so not registering it in Australia. We have been able to buy CTP for Queensland, however we are told that this doesn't cover us for any other state (and that we have to have CTP to travel). So it seems that we now have to acquire CTP insurance in every state to which we plan to travel (i.e., all of them...).

Comment

• Nab
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2012
              • Perth

In 2008 I had a head on crash with a German tourist (brought over his LHD Mercedes Ute on a carnet). He was at fault, his car was brought into Australia through Victoria so that’s where his CTP was registered. The accident occurred in South Australia but all the CTP claims went through his CTP in Victoria (TAC).
              SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
              NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• spot01
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by alanymarce View Post
                We're bringing the vehicle in on a carnet - so not registering it in Australia. We have been able to buy CTP for Queensland, however we are told that this doesn't cover us for any other state (and that we have to have CTP to travel). So it seems that we now have to acquire CTP insurance in every state to which we plan to travel (i.e., all of them...).
                I didn't realise you intended to bring your own vehicle when I wrote my earlier comments, so they don't apply re CTP in your situation, although you should check what property damage cover you require.

In case you don't have it, here is a link to the AAA website which appears to cover your situation, including further links to each Australian state's requirements:

Unfortunately it appears each state differs in their requirements (painful, but not unusual here) - some, eg, WA also talk about permits and inspections, etc., so you may need to contact each state's registry to confirm what you need to do before driving in those states. It might be best to contact the AAA first to see if they can assist you.
                Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• alanymarce
                  • Apr 2015
                  • Colombia

We'll check with AAA and feed back

Comment

• alanymarce
                    • Apr 2015
                    • Colombia

It was a lengthy process requiring patience. The AAA were helpful and in the end we were able to verify that the CTP we obtained in QLD applied everywhere, so didn't need to get more than this.

Didn't have any inicidents so no opportunity to find out whether this really did work, however we did have a certificate saying that it covered all of Australia.

Comment

• Nab
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • Perth

Thanks for the update, glad you had a great time!!
                      SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                      NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X