• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

Experiment on vehicles crossing flooded waterways

An interesting study on the effect moving water and depth has on vehicles crossing waterways:

Pajero NX MY21 GLS
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

As the adds keep saying in Qld....If its flooded, forget it. Yet we still get people swept away in cars during floods. Darwins way of keeping the nup-nups in check.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Wazzap
      • Sep 2015
      • NSW

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
      As the adds keep saying in Qld....If its flooded, forget it. Yet we still get people swept away in cars during floods. Darwins way of keeping the nup-nups in check.
      We had some pretty bad weather in NSW last week, and so many people still tried to cross flooded roads. Had 3 people die when they/their cars were washed away, and so many people getting cars stuck in the flood waters because they thought they could get through (despite there being other cars stuck in the flood waters they were about to go through!).

Comment

• dhula
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • South of Perth

Saw it on one of the morning shows this morning.
        I thought it was pretty speccy to see the pootrol sitting in the tank with the water level at just below bonnet height and because the back end was floating, the two people in the tank with the car could push it around with little effort.

You'd think that most people would be well aware of the drama's flood waters can cause and that it's frikin' dangerous to try and drive through them, there having been heaps of rain on the east coast over the last couple of years or so, but alas it seams those that try to get through have the same mentality as those muppets on the road that just have to get there first come hell or high water.
        Last edited by dhula; 25-06-16, 10:56 PM.
        2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
        2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Lost1
          • Dec 2013
          • Melbourne

Just another Darwinian moment. No amount warnings can save some people from themselves.
          09 ML GLX-R 3.2L Manual. Bushskinz bash plates, 285/75x16 Kumho MT51 & 16x8 alloys, 3" exhaust, Dobinson MRR 2"lift, MCC Bar and Wheel Carrier, 12000lb ICM winch, Dual Batteries, Billet Turbo compressor upgrade, Brown and Davis LR tank.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

people dont seem to be aware that a (relativley) enclosed vessel will float even if it will keep running.the big 4wd in some ways will be worse of cos they have a big volume to offset the big ger mass
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Buoyancy

It is also worth noting that once the water is even just a bit above floor level, even though the vehicle may not be floating, it is gaining buoyancy & becoming lighter. As a result, there is less weight on the wheels & less traction - I suspect this is one reason why vehicles tend to get bogged in river beds more easily. Combine this with flowing water and .
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• scribble88
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2014
                • Geraldton, WA

Thanks for sharing Spot01.

That was amazing to read.

I am a city slicker from WA, we don't get flooding like you eastern state-ers do. I wasn't aware of how little water it takes to move the car.
                2010 3.2 DiD Activ Pajero 5sp Manual. Bilstein and HD Lovells 50mm lift, Toyo Open Country II A/T, Diff breathers, SPV EGR Mod, Exedy HD Clutch, Electric brake controller, Kings Lethal 9” LED’s.Reversing camera system for trailer, Airtec Snorkel. Full set of Bushskinz bash plates.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                  It is also worth noting that once the water is even just a bit above floor level, even though the vehicle may not be floating, it is gaining buoyancy & becoming lighter. As a result, there is less weight on the wheels & less traction - I suspect this is one reason why vehicles tend to get bogged in river beds more easily. Combine this with flowing water and .
                  Your theory makes total sense & also makes sense why tray back utes i've driven quite deep were fine, less buoyant back half of vehicle.

So that also makes sense why you see 4wd's in Cape York once the water is waist deep inside vehicle they tow out easier, they've become one with the elements
                  Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011
                    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
                    Your theory makes total sense & also makes sense why tray back utes i've driven quite deep were fine, less buoyant back half of vehicle.

So that also makes sense why you see 4wd's in Cape York once the water is waist deep inside vehicle they tow out easier, they've become one with the elements
                    Not quite, Jaso.

Once there is water inside the vehicle buoyancy is lost and the vehicle can be move difficult to recover.
                    If the water level inside the vehicle is higher than the outside, and this can happen as you tow the vehicle out, the water trapped inside adds to the weight of the vehicle so it is a good idea to crack the doors open as the vehicle is recovered so the water can drain out.

A traytop also has the advantage of less side area down low so there is less side pressure on the vehicle if the water is flowing.

A cubic metre of water is 1000litres and 1000kg in weight.

Remember a snorkel does not turn your 4wd into a submarine, most modern cars will have their electrics/electronics drown before the engine ingest water. Often a snorkel can give you a false sense of security so you tackle deeper water crossings with less preparation. Once the water is deeper than 400mm or 500mm then it is best to fit blind to the front of the vehicle so water is not forced through the grille and radiators and into the engine bay. If the water is dirty then any water that is force through the radiators will leave a deposit of silt. This silt quick builds up and blocks the air channels of the radiator and will lead to overheating!

Those spectacular fast drives through dirty water for the classic "I am tough" photo can easily lead to overheating problems later.

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Kingbrown
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Port Augusta - SA

Well said OJ.

On a Cape York trip last year I was surprised at how few people fitted a blind/bra for deep water crossings.

Being prepared for rapid recovery PRIOR to entering the water is also a must.

There's also the risk of the radiator fan being pushed through the radiator. A vehicle we came across at Gunshot was a case in point. A week later he was still stuck at Bramwell waiting for parts.
                      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• erad
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Cooma NSW

OJ wrote " This silt quick builds up and blocks the air channels of the radiator and will lead to overheating!"

As usual, you are correct, but also even if you don't get enough mud to block the airflow, even having a layer of silt on the fins acts to insulate the fins and therefore reduces the cooling ability of the radiator.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                          Not quite, Jaso.

Once there is water inside the vehicle buoyancy is lost and the vehicle can be move difficult to recover.
                          If the water level inside the vehicle is higher than the outside, and this can happen as you tow the vehicle out, the water trapped inside adds to the weight of the vehicle so it is a good idea to crack the doors open as the vehicle is recovered so the water can drain out.

A traytop also has the advantage of less side area down low so there is less side pressure on the vehicle if the water is flowing.

A cubic metre of water is 1000litres and 1000kg in weight.

Remember a snorkel does not turn your 4wd into a submarine, most modern cars will have their electrics/electronics drown before the engine ingest water. Often a snorkel can give you a false sense of security so you tackle deeper water crossings with less preparation. Once the water is deeper than 400mm or 500mm then it is best to fit blind to the front of the vehicle so water is not forced through the grille and radiators and into the engine bay. If the water is dirty then any water that is force through the radiators will leave a deposit of silt. This silt quick builds up and blocks the air channels of the radiator and will lead to overheating!

Those spectacular fast drives through dirty water for the classic "I am tough" photo can easily lead to overheating problems later.

OJ.
                          OJ
                          You've taught me a lot & i'm very greatful

Yeah nah as far as deep water goes, i've taken note of previous conversations on forum & when wiring Pajero, fitting Automate i have a clear picture of the Canbus wiring system & all it's fine little wire friends that make it up
                          Including the Tranny ECU in front of passengers feet, engine ECU think up in one kick panel.
                          Also read the Pajero manual, wading depth ain't the parking depth, its in the book!

Once upon a time Diesel ute's & alike had pull stop for injector pump, I had one, waist deep no worries, park & have a picnic if you please.
                          I recall getting stuck in Petrol 2wd Rodeo/ Isuzu column shift in a lucky stone creek down around NSW border, drove it many times, car was full wet inside & parked there for maybe 45 minutes whilst we went & got farmer with tractor to pull out.
                          Open doors, vinyl floor, vinyl bench seat no problems

The modern motor vehicle is not this beast, i get it the pressure against side of vehicle etc.

My opinion of the Pajero as a submarine, yeah nah

I drove through dirty creek crossing last week must have been 200mm deep i reckon & i had a good look, didn't want to wet my toes though to make sure i was rite 1st before i tackled her

I have not enough coins to be a hero or the reason as to why, less testosterone than i once had as well.
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• alanymarce
                            • Apr 2015
                            • Colombia

We were held up for two days in Northern Kenya by a fast-flowing flood down a "river" which is normally just sand. Had a snorkel etc., but didn't try crossing - about a metre deep (not a problem) but fast current...

The only vehicle which tried was an Army LC and they did it (successfully) by loading it up with a group of bystanders, they probably had a dozen people on board.

We waited until the current had subsided, which also resulted in less water depth (0.4 m or so with one deeper hollow) and passed with no problem.

The sad news - further south, at another "river" a 'bus tried to cross, was swept away, and 17 people were lost.

Comment

• Scrambler
                              • Jul 2018
                              • Toowoomba, Qld

Originally posted by alanymarce View Post
                              We were held up for two days in Northern Kenya by a fast-flowing flood down a "river" which is normally just sand. Had a snorkel etc., but didn't try crossing - about a metre deep (not a problem) but fast current...

The only vehicle which tried was an Army LC and they did it (successfully) by loading it up with a group of bystanders, they probably had a dozen people on board.

We waited until the current had subsided, which also resulted in less water depth (0.4 m or so with one deeper hollow) and passed with no problem.

The sad news - further south, at another "river" a 'bus tried to cross, was swept away, and 17 people were lost.
                              Sounds like you were the smart people. If the LC had lost traction the ballast would have jumped: and how many lost or injured then?

Slow down or arrive dead on time, as they say.
                              =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                              =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X