• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • westvic
    • May 2016
    • Ballarat

Key for doors only

I'm finding myself spending more time on and around water more these days. However this is starting to make me anxious about drowning my key and being both stuck somewhere and up for hundreds $$ to get a new one.

My plan is to get just the metal part cut and use this to lock the main key with the remote head in the car while I am off fishing. Car is PC 2015 manual.

Anyone see any problems with locking/unlocking with just the metal part? Any effect on the vehicle's computer?
  • DibbyDibbyDJ
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2019
    • Victoria

no problems at all with doing that. Even if you do try to start it by mistake it may log a code, but wont affect anything
    2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• symo
      • Jan 2012
      • Brisvegas

Some locksmiths call it a wet key.

I wear mine around my neck or tied off inside the zipper pocket on my PFD when kayaking.

Works fine on the glovebox and the drivers door , won’t start the car as it doesn’t have a chip but can turn on the accessories.

Only downside is you can’t activate the alarm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• WHID
        • Oct 2019
        • Melbourne

If you are parked in an isolated area, it may transpire that any ne'er-do-wells who break glass to gain access will find the key/s and drive away.
        Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• westvic
          • May 2016
          • Ballarat

Thanks all for feedback. Sounds like cheap insurance and peace of mind so off to locksmith today.

cheers

Comment

• symo
            • Jan 2012
            • Brisvegas

Originally posted by WHID View Post
            If you are parked in an isolated area, it may transpire that any ne'er-do-wells who break glass to gain access will find the key/s and drive away.

Just lock them in the glove box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

I’ve had a’wet key’ made for both my current and previous Pajero. Works exactly as your suggesting and, with my Pajeros, they didn’t throw a code or anything if you attempt to start the engine with the wet key - the engine just simply won’t start (out of curiosity I tried).
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Peebee
                • Jan 2011
                • South Fremantle

I race a small yacht with an open cockpit and, when the breeze gets up, it can be pretty wet. I put my key and mobile into a 5 litre dry bag and, so far, haven't had any issues.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X