Below Nav Bar

Collapse

[3.8P] Oxygen sensor diagnostics and replacement, fuel consumption, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pronvit
    • Mar 2019
    • New Zealand

[3.8P] Oxygen sensor diagnostics and replacement, fuel consumption, etc.

I think it's time for me to work on improving fuel consumption of my 2008 V6 Pajero with 240k kms.

The most recommended thing is to replace O2 sensors. However from what I see in OBD2 data, they seem to be fine. The voltages look good, and the long term fuel trim is negative, so the amount of fuel is not increased due to bad sensors.

Can someone confirm my thinking, or is it still recommended to replace?
    I was going to just replace them all, but it seems to be very difficult to access the first sensor on the passenger side - does anyone know if that's possible at all without removing a lot of components?

If the sensors are ok, what does negative fuel trim means - that the injectors need cleaning?
    Attached Files
    2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.
  • bundyjr
    • Sep 2012
    • brisbane

A negative long term fuel trim means that the ecu is deducting fuel from what base map is set at so as to keep the engine as close as possible to its target AFR of 14.7 to 1.

If long term trims where holding at 10 percent or positive them you might start to see issues
    regarding fuel consumption.

what sort of mileage are currently getting

Comment

• pronvit
      • Mar 2019
      • New Zealand

13-13.5 L/100 @ 105kph on flat highway, 16+ on hills
      2008 Pajero NS V6. Factory rear diff lock. OME suspension. Ironman underbody protection. Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform. ASFIR hidden winch mount, Ridge Ryder 12000lbs winch.

2006 LR Discovery 3 TDV6.

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by pronvit View Post
        13-13.5 L/100 @ 105kph on flat highway, 16+ on hills
        What tyres are you running?
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content