• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TroyHodges
    • Jul 2013
    • Brisbane

Broke bolts on intank fuel pump/filter

Was replacing the in tank fuel filter last night (another pain in the a$$ job) anyone else find that Pajero are a pain to work on? Maybe it's just me not used to modern cars... Anyway I managed to break off (rusted) 2 of the 6 bolts that hold the fuel pump/filter on the tank. They severed on opposite sides so I've reassembled in the hope that I have enough pressure from the other 4 bolts, but being fuel related it's bothering me. Any ideas out there on how to fix these bolts. They appear to be part of the tank so not sure how to fix aside from replacing tank.... Big design flaw to have such little bolts mounted to the tank which are exposed to the road.

Cheers
    • Cairns

Don't panic too much just yet. Back in 2010 I was removing that dame tank access panel on my diesel and 1x stud broke off. It's never leaked or given any grief.
    Luckily your studs have broken diagonally opposite. If 2 adjacent studs were broken you might have been in deep trouble.
    Fill the tank to the brim and keep an eye (and a nose) out for any fuel leakage. No leakage = no problem.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• dolphin
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008

if you can also use some type of fuel proof sealant around the cap before you tension it back down with remaining nuts, this should really help with a good seal.
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• TroyHodges
        • Jul 2013
        • Brisbane

Is the seal just to stop contaminants? Just wondering as the last few times I opened the filler cap I didn't have the usual back pressure release, so am suspecting I have an air leak around the pump bolt down. Also wondering if there is no slight pressure in the tank would I be allowing the pump to drink more easily thus higher fuel consumption.., just thinking as I had fixed a fuel issue recently but after the fuel filter replacement it appears I'm getting slightly worse consumption figures. Do you think it's related?

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

It won't be related.
          If your top seal was leaking, when you fill the tank to the brim, you would have fuel leaking out and ending up on the pavement.
          And it won't be causing excessive fuel useage either. The pump delivers fuel to the fuel rail, the pressure regulator keeps the rail at the correct pressure and any excess fuel gets returned to the tank. So long as the pump has a good supply of fuel, no supply or return lines are blocked and the pressure regulator is working correctly, all should be good.
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• TroyHodges
            • Jul 2013
            • Brisbane

Thanks mate, sounds logical, settles my concern.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X