• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trav13k
    • Nov 2017
    • Adelaide

Indicator Issue with ETACS Module

I have a 2006 NS Pajero 3.2 Auto with 325k kms.

Recently had an issue where the right hand indicator light in the instrument cluster started flashing rapidly. Typical thought would be that a bulb had blown or a short circuit is occurring somewhere.

Did some checks with the bulbs and all was good (swapped sides etc).
    Disconnected the trailer control module to eliminate that as a cause. Issue remained.
    Located the actual power feeds to both the front and rear of the car and provided 12v directly to the lights (through a fuse) to check for short circuits. All circuits worked correctly.
    Last check I swapped the pins for the RHS power feed and put them in the pin position for the LHS power feed to confirm whether the ETACS unit was at fault. The RHS lights illuminated when indicating left as expected.

To me the testing confirmed that the ETACS module was at fault and a couple of auto electricians thought very much the same.

I contacted Mitsubishi about a replacement and was quoted approximately $900 to replace the unit. I thought that was a bit rich for an indicator issue.

I decided to source a matching ETACS part from a wreckers (Eddy Wreckers) who charger $150 which I thought was more than reasonable.

Before obtaining the part I queried 2 Mitsubishi dealers about re-programming my key and pairing it to the “new” ETACS module to which I was advised 2 different things.

Dealer 1 advised that they would require the old ETACS module to copy some information and put it on the “new” ETACS module and were looking to charge about $250 plus the cost to program the keys.

Dealer 2 advised that I shouldn’t buy a part from a wrecker as the ETACS unit could only be programmed once and that they would only be able to install a new one. It was later mentioned that “they had never actually worked with a second hand ETACS unit as they only work with new parts” and that the could “give it a go” but would “charge me their standard rate of $110 an hour”.

I got the ETACS module today from the wrecker. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes, put in the replacement module and the indicator works fine (along with all the other functions within the car). The only part that doesn’t work is the remote unlocking from the key.

So for reference. Second hand ETACS modules WILL work in your Pajero. You just need to get someone to re-program your key. If anyone has suggestions, I would be most grateful.
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

trav13K: Thank you for this information. Hopefully I won't have to use it, but it is pleasing to know the limitations of our systems.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

All good info.

I seem to recall forum member "Geopaj" has used a Adelaide locksmith that can program keys.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

There is a process somewhere to reprogram the keys, eg, when getting a replacement key, etc. I wonder if this may help?

Now you have the old unit out, I wonder if it can be repaired? Does it look like it comes apart or is it sealed?
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Here is the link to the thread I was recalling.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• trav13k
            • Nov 2017
            • Adelaide

Thanks OJ, appreciate the information.

Spot01, I actually took the ETACS unit out previously. It just has some clips that can be pried up to open it up. It’s essentially a circuit board with a computer module and some relays on it.
            It’s possibly repairable with some fine soldering skills but nothing that I’m keen on trying. I’ll get some pictures at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• erad
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2015
              • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
              There is a process somewhere to reprogram the keys, eg, when getting a replacement key, etc. I wonder if this may help?

Now you have the old unit out, I wonder if it can be repaired? Does it look like it comes apart or is it sealed?
              Reprogramming the keys: My Max Elery W/S manual (for what it is worth) gives the following to reprogram keys:

*** Once the teaching mode is entered, all existing codes will be deleted. Ensure that you have all keys which are to be programmed fro use on the vehicle. ***

1 Insert the ignition key in the ignition switch, then connect terminal 1 of the diagnostic connector to earth.

2 Within 10 seconds, press the hazard switch 6 times. ** The doors will lock and unlock after pressing the hazard switch 6 times and the system will switch to recognition mode.**

3 Press the transmitter lock or unlock switch then press another 2 times within 10 seconds to register the code. After registration, the doors will lock and unlock automatically.

4 The same procedure for additional transmitters should be used within 1 minute of the first transmitter registration.

5 The teach mode will be terminated if any of the following occur:
              (a) The ignition key is removed.
              (b) One minute after registration mode started.
              (c) 4 remotes or keys have been registered with the module.
              (d) The earth is released.

The above is copied from my W/S manual, and I give no guarantee that it will work. I used the procedure described to reset the service interval and it failed to do so, so I cannot guarantee that this will work either, but I give it in case someone is in trouble.

Comment

• Des07
                • Apr 2024
                • Queensland

Originally posted by trav13k View Post
                I have a 2006 NS Pajero 3.2 Auto with 325k kms.

Recently had an issue where the right hand indicator light in the instrument cluster started flashing rapidly. Typical thought would be that a bulb had blown or a short circuit is occurring somewhere.

Did some checks with the bulbs and all was good (swapped sides etc).
                Disconnected the trailer control module to eliminate that as a cause. Issue remained.
                Located the actual power feeds to both the front and rear of the car and provided 12v directly to the lights (through a fuse) to check for short circuits. All circuits worked correctly.
                Last check I swapped the pins for the RHS power feed and put them in the pin position for the LHS power feed to confirm whether the ETACS unit was at fault. The RHS lights illuminated when indicating left as expected.

To me the testing confirmed that the ETACS module was at fault and a couple of auto electricians thought very much the same.

I contacted Mitsubishi about a replacement and was quoted approximately $900 to replace the unit. I thought that was a bit rich for an indicator issue.

I decided to source a matching ETACS part from a wreckers (Eddy Wreckers) who charger $150 which I thought was more than reasonable.

Before obtaining the part I queried 2 Mitsubishi dealers about re-programming my key and pairing it to the “new” ETACS module to which I was advised 2 different things.

Dealer 1 advised that they would require the old ETACS module to copy some information and put it on the “new” ETACS module and were looking to charge about $250 plus the cost to program the keys.

Dealer 2 advised that I shouldn’t buy a part from a wrecker as the ETACS unit could only be programmed once and that they would only be able to install a new one. It was later mentioned that “they had never actually worked with a second hand ETACS unit as they only work with new parts” and that the could “give it a go” but would “charge me their standard rate of $110 an hour”.

I got the ETACS module today from the wrecker. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes, put in the replacement module and the indicator works fine (along with all the other functions within the car). The only part that doesn’t work is the remote unlocking from the key.

So for reference. Second hand ETACS modules WILL work in your Pajero. You just need to get someone to re-program your key. If anyone has suggestions, I would be most grateful.
                I have only joined & I have the same issue with my ns pajero. I am about to buy a unit from the wreckers. Please tell me did you passenger doors unlock with the replacement etacs & do the doors lock with the key in door?

Comment

• Tongy
                  • Jul 2021
                  • Aus

Originally posted by Des07 View Post

I have only joined & I have the same issue with my ns pajero. I am about to buy a unit from the wreckers. Please tell me did you passenger doors unlock with the replacement etacs & do the doors lock with the key in door?
                  Literally just replaced mine 10 mins ago, yes they do. Just the remote unlock on the key fob don’t do anything

Comment

• Des07
                    • Apr 2024
                    • Queensland

Originally posted by Tongy View Post

Literally just replaced mine 10 mins ago, yes they do. Just the remote unlock on the key fob don’t do anything
                    Thanks for the inforation, did you fit it yourself?
                    I can't find the part number for my ns 8637A157 because it was number 000250 in the series so I tried the etacs module out of the next etacs series 8637A454 mitsubishi made & it didn't work.

Comment

• Tongy
                      • Jul 2021
                      • Aus

Originally posted by Des07 View Post
                      Thanks for the inforation, did you fit it yourself?
                      I can't find the part number for my ns 8637A157 because it was number 000250 in the series so I tried the etacs module out of the next etacs series 8637A454 mitsubishi made & it didn't work.
                      Yeah fitted myself also 8637A157 for me too. I couldn’t find any at my local wreckers but you might have luck. I ended up getting mine on partsouq which is a bit more pricey

glad to hear I didn’t waste my time trying one of the new model etacs though because I was considering that

Comment

• Des07
                        • Apr 2024
                        • Queensland

Yeah fitted myself also 8637A157 for me too. I couldn’t find any at my local wreckers but you might have luck. I ended up getting mine on partsouq which is a bit more pricey

glad to hear I didn’t waste my time trying one of the new model etacs though because I was considering that
                        That's great to hear, mitsubishi are charging nearly $1000 arriving in July for a new one 8638A157.
                        I can't find any in wreckers in south east queesland so far.

Comment

• Des07
                          • Apr 2024
                          • Queensland

Just joined group 3days ago & I am very impressed with you all. I have asked about my etacs module problem & now I know I can fit the second hand unit & as old mate said plug & play.

Comment

• Des07
                            • Apr 2024
                            • Queensland

When you plugged it in did it work straight away or did you have to wait a while?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X