Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 29-11-09
Valued Member

Default Noise when in 4wd

Hi again. I can't remember if I posted on this already so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. For some time now I have been trying to run the paj in 4wd to keep everything going. Since I got the Coopers there is a strange fabric metally rubbinbg noise occsionally. I bought this car at 135000 and I am pretty sure it was rarely in 4wd. Anyway I decided to do some lazy diagnostic work and got a tube of gear quietener. I figure the noise is either coming fom the transfer case or the front diff so hopeully this will establish it.
Well the transfer case has the stuff in it and the noise is still there. How long should i perservere with it?

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!
Old 12-12-09
Valued Member

Send a message via MSN to peter92 Send a message via Skype™ to peter92

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ94 View Post
Hi again. I can't remember if I posted on this already so I'm sorry if this is a duplicate. For some time now I have been trying to run the paj in 4wd to keep everything going. Since I got the Coopers there is a strange fabric metally rubbinbg noise occsionally. I bought this car at 135000 and I am pretty sure it was rarely in 4wd. Anyway I decided to do some lazy diagnostic work and got a tube of gear quietener. I figure the noise is either coming fom the transfer case or the front diff so hopeully this will establish it.
Well the transfer case has the stuff in it and the noise is still there. How long should i perservere with it?
hi first thing, was it making a noise before you put the coopers on ,if not try changing wheels again and see if its still there.the other thing is,have you checked your diff oils and whats the wheel bearings like,also if you want you could drop the front tail shaft, this will eliminate the front diff if the noise is still there,then do the same with the rear as the front,thiswill only eliminate the diff so it will be eather gear box or transfer hope this helps regards peter
SKYPE NAME possum.58
Old 13-12-09
Valued Member

Thanks for replying Pete. The noise only happens when I'm in 4wd so I am thinking it's not the tyres otherwise it would be there all the time. But I don't really know because this is the first 4wd I've owned.
Oils were down when I checked in fact the front diff seems to be leaking. The transfer case had very little oil in it

It's more like a vibration that comes in and out. If I'm in 4wd it starts about 20km/hr, goes at about 25 then comes in again at about 55 and goes about 70. If I'm in 2wd there's no noise at all.

It's got a rear diff whine from 90km/hr that goes about 110 km/hr but I'm just going to keep going until it busts.

My brother said 4wds make a lot of noise anyway and just to keep going until it turns to dust. I've read other guys posts who reckon you should just turn the radio up??

Gee I dunno

Peter

MN Triton GLX Plus, dual batteries, ARB winchbar, Airtec snorkel and 3T towbar. Love it!!