Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Where the rubber hits the road.

Where the rubber hits the road. Discussion about drive train; (locking) diffs; wheels; hubs; suspension and, of course, tyres

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Reasonable tyre balance weights?

Having decided on the tyre brand and type (see low noise A/T thread), the question is now what is a reasonable condition to put on the supplier regarding tyre balance weights for an LT tyre.

My thoughts were no more than 60g per rim and 100g total but is this reasonable? There a lots of war stories about the difficulty of getting some brands properly balanced. I don't want a tyre that whose manufacture has been off a bit such that it needs large balance weights.

Any thoughts or experience?
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Valued Member

You might be hard pressed to get them to agree to those low limits. Remember the wheel may also contribute.

A good tyre fitter will position the tyre correctly on the rim with the red dot next to the valve (this is why the manufacturer puts the dot on the tyre). This should provide the best balance straight up. If it doesn't, a good tyre fitter will then rotate the tyre around the rim, repeating if necessary until the best balance is found.
Unfortunately, most tyres I see don't have the red dot lined up to the valve (even some factory fitted tyres on new cars), so either the fitter has had to rotate it or the fitter doesn't care (or is untrained or ignorant).

I always try to have a discussion with the actual fitter before they fit my tyres - it is worthwhile.