Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Mods to reduce Engine Air Inlet and ATF temperatures.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
    I wonder if it is easier to fit nutserts to the angle brackets as I do not want to remove the bash plate to fit the wings.
    I didnt have to remove the bashplates. Simply used a cordless drill with correct size bit for nutserts...naturally drilled a smaller pilot hole first. Easy enough to on a driveway or garage floor. I dare say people will make up their own variants to suit. Using a jigsaw and the cutting board just made it cheap, quick and easy. If you want to get flash go the laser cut and put a fold in the wing where it can bolt to the bashplate. I used stainless pop rivets to hold cutting board to right angle bracket.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• insect_eater
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Canberra

It looks like Kieron (and the forum members) have access to an incredibly well qualified, experienced and enthusiastic R&D team. With the multiple lines of thought being addressed, it should be a great result.

Terrific stuff!
      NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
        I like this idea! You’ve set my engineering mind going!
        It’s currently untested but I have made up a ‘proof of concept’ intercooler guard out of 0.9mm stainless (I had it at hand and it’s easier to work than 4mm steel plate!).

It is the same profile as a Bushskinz guard with slightly larger air intake holes than the OEM guard - however the holes are higher up than the OEM guard (hopefully to stop them collecting sand).

I will make some side infill pieces, do some back to back testing (comparing engine intake air temps), and report back.

Obviously, if it is a success the guard will need bracing gussets (due to the size of the air holes) and mesh covers (to stop sticks damaging the intercooler). With appropriate gussets it should be as strong as Bushskinz.

Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• insect_eater
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Canberra

Could the side infill pieces also function as the bracing gussets?
          NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

It’s currently untested but I have made up a ‘proof of concept’ intercooler guard out of 0.9mm stainless (I had it at hand and it’s easier to work than 4mm steel plate!).

It is the same profile as a Bushskinz guard with slightly larger air intake holes than the OEM guard - however the holes are higher up than the OEM guard (hopefully to stop them collecting sand).

I will make some side infill pieces, do some back to back testing (comparing engine intake air temps), and report back.

Obviously, if it is a success the guard will need bracing gussets (due to the size of the air holes) and mesh covers (to stop sticks damaging the intercooler). With appropriate gussets it should be as strong as Bushskinz.

Good job geopaj - I like what you're doing.

Let me know if I can help with your testing.
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• geopaj
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
              Good job geopaj - I like what you're doing.
              Let me know if I can help with your testing.
              Thanks mate
              Last edited by geopaj; 13-12-17, 09:25 PM.
              Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• geopaj
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Adelaide

Have also made a second ‘top half’ - MK2 with vertical facing air intake holes and external gussets which hopefully will have a funnel effect. It’s made to be interchangeable with the top half of MK1.

Still all made of light sheet off cuts (aluminium this time) to confirm what works best.

None may work but I’m having fun experimenting!

Last edited by geopaj; 13-12-17, 09:36 PM.
                Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• vladguan
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Adelaide

Thanks mate

Have also made a second ‘top half’ - MK2 with vertical facing air intake holes and external gussets which hopefully will have a funnel effect. It’s made to be interchangeable with the top half of MK1.

Still all made of light sheet of cuts (aluminium this time) to confirm what works best.

None may work but I’m having fun experimenting!

You my friend have too much time on your hand.
                  Please call me Vlad.
                  -----------------------
                  MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• NTBenny
                    • May 2017
                    • Newcastle

I don't mean to detract from the great initiative shown above but has anyone tried water injection on a Pajero to reduce intake and exhaust temps? I've used a water/meth injection system on my GT Falcon before but not on a diesel.

Water Methanol Injection. Where to find it, where to buy it, where to use it, how it works.

Benny.
                    2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Sydney

I was thinking of a water injection system but not into the intake as suggested by NTBenny. Rather spraying a coolant (water) in front of the intercooler probably a mist to assist the heat exchange process.
                      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• vladguan
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                        I was thinking of a water injection system but not into the intake as suggested by NTBenny. Rather spraying a coolant (water) in front of the intercooler probably a mist to assist the heat exchange process.
                        Fancy that. Someone just suggested the exact thing on the FB page. Using the headlight washer components and activated via a switch to spray onto the intercooler.

At the moment I have been monitoring the IAT and at cruising speed, with outside temperature at 35, was getting IAT as low as 45. This increased to about 75 while idling at the lights for some time when stuck at traffic jams. Ideally, you would want the water spray during idling, however, there would be no air flow for evaporative effect to take place.
                        Please call me Vlad.
                        -----------------------
                        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• old Jack
                          Regular
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Adelaide, South Australia.

By improving the airflow this is a one off mod with no further actions or consumables required, if this is not enough then a larger intercooler is required.

OJ.
                          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NTBenny
                            • May 2017
                            • Newcastle

I certainly like the idea of a bigger intercooler mounted up top away from the mud etc. At $1500 or so it ain't a cheap mod though.

With a water injection system I'd potentially have it only spraying when EGTs hit >500deg. This being the case you wouldn't use much water.

I've seen external water spray systems for intercoolers and they can use quite a lot of water with minimal reduction in IAT. There can also be quite a delay (10-15sec) from the initiation of the spray and seeing a change is IAT. This is probably not an issue for towing up a long hill with a Pajero but in performance car terms most throttle applications are not much more than 10-15 seconds. Probably worth investigating on a diesel 4WD though.

Benny.
                            2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

• geopaj
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2007
                              • Adelaide

Ok... I did some testing this afternoon on the Northern Expressway (aka Gawler Bypass), using Munno Para Bunnings carpark as a safe place to swap guards.

From Bunnings (Curtis Rd) I drove on the Northern Expressway using cruise control at 110km/h to the Two Well Rd exit (5.6km) before crossing over and driving back using cruise control at 85km/h to Curtis Rd and Bunnings. I then repeated this with each setup and recorded the lowest intake temperature (which each time was just before existing the Expressway).

During the testing the ambient temp remained 35-36 degrees as per the dash readout.

My vehicle has an ARB bullbar with winch and is generally a heavy beast.

RESULTS:
                              MK1
                              (with a baffle between the bullbar & the front crossmember, and baffles each side of the intercooler guard like Dick1).
                              110km/h - 34 above ambient (EAI temp 69c)
                              85km/h - 20 above ambient (EAI temp 55c)

MK2 (with the above baffles)
                              110km/h - 31 above ambient (EAI temp 66c)
                              85km/h - 18 above ambient (EAI temp 53c)

Bushskinz (unmodified but with the above baffles)
                              110km/h - 31 above ambient (EAI temp 66c)
                              85km/h - 19 above ambient (EAI temp 54c)

Bushskinz (unmodified and NO baffles)
                              110km/h - 30 above ambient (EAI temp 65c)
                              85km/h - 17 above ambient (EAI temp 52c)

Not the results I was expecting! and not the same outcome that Pajero12 experienced (thought he has a genuine MM bar which provides a shit load more airflow than ARB bars).

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Some may call it a complete waste of time but tinkering in my shed is a great destresser for me and sure best watching TV all night every night.

I wouldn’t mind doing another back to back test to compare a standard Bushskinz guard and one modified like nj_swb’s (nj, do you want to join me one evening for a run up the Expressway swapping guards on both vehicles?)
                              Last edited by geopaj; 18-12-17, 10:14 PM.
                              Silver NT VRX Di-D

My Build Thread - HERE

Comment

• nj swb
                                Resident
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Adelaide

Hmmm. Not the results I was hoping you'd report.

To be honest, I think the last three results are "no result" - not a significant enough difference to call one way or the other.

Did you have much gap under the intercooler? Do you think there was much air escaping under rather than through?

I'm happy to help out with some testing - with a little notice I should be able to make any night work. I also have Pajero12's original factory guard, if you want to try to work that into testing?
                                NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X