• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • james14756
    • Dec 2015
    • rockingham

step by step guide to replacing NP CV joints

does anyone have a step by step guide to replacing the front CV joint on a 3.8L NP. I have abig trip coming up and am thinking about taking along a spare set of CV joints just in case
  • binda
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2013
    • rocky

I dont have a step by step but this is the process I went through.

Remove wheel,
    Remove axle nut, its a 24mm I believe.
    Remove brake assembly and tie up on the spring to keep it out of the way.
    Drop the top and bottom ball joints. Dont use a separator, just undo the bolts.
    The 4 bolts on the back of the wheel assembly need to be undone.

Leftside.
    By now the axle should just slide out.

Rightside, there is a another handful of bolts on the short axle on the diff.

I'm not sure if you want to brake the CV's apart.

Originally posted by james14756 View Post
    does anyone have a step by step guide to replacing the front CV joint on a 3.8L NP. I have abig trip coming up and am thinking about taking along a spare set of CV joints just in case
    04 NP DiD
    Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

• Lance
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2009
      • Melbourne

James, there's a heck of a lot of stuff you could take on a long trip, 'just in case'.

If you feel the CVs may be creating an issue why not replace them now, at home, with all your tools and equipment handy, and enjoy your trip knowing they won't let you down.

Peace of mind
      2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
      2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• james14756
        • Dec 2015
        • rockingham

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        James, there's a heck of a lot of stuff you could take on a long trip, 'just in case'.

If you feel the CVs may be creating an issue why not replace them now, at home, with all your tools and equipment handy, and enjoy your trip knowing they won't let you down.

Peace of mind
        they arent causing any problems at all. I am just thinking about getting a set of and taking them with me as I seem to have seen a spate of broken CV's of late. I am going away on a 6 day trip with a club and would hate to have something like a blown CV end it prematurely. they are cheap enough to buy so if I have a set with em and I do need them I can replace as required.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X