• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maximage
    • Mar 2013
    • Darch, Perth, WA

Originally posted by Connormcintosh View Post
    Would love to go out for a few days with some fellow forum members. Just need the time in advance will bookmark the tab and keep an eye on it. Never done the Holland track and would be keen on doing that.
    Holland Track is certainly a possibility. Holland is more of a driving weekend with more little stops to break the monotony, whereas H&A is more of a destination, the drive between H&A and Jaurdi is a bit less interesting.

I haven't sat down and mapped it out, but it may be possible to head out to Hyden Friday night and stay at Wave Rock. Previously when I have done the Holland we have wasted a pile of time in the morning checking out Wave Rock and getting fuel and brekky in town etc etc. Reckon you could comfortably shorten that time frame and still check out Wave Rock and still get a decently early-ish start on the track.

Saturday night would be out on the track, plenty of camp spots depending on how we go light wise etc. First time I did the Holland we had time the following day (Sunday) to also go check out Cave Hill and the Woodlines (which we wouldn't do this time) and second time was halfway back to Perth by sunset, so pretty sure we would be able to pop out of the Holland up near Coolgardie, top up the fuel and then do the run out to H&A Sunday arvo. Worst case scenario, I have GPS waypoints from last time, so even if it ends up dusk time, pretty sure finding it will be absolutely no issue. People would also have the option of heading home at that point if they wanted.

Could then spend Monday exploring around H&A and then head home in the arvo. I will just say though, it will make it a very long weekend.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Maximage; 07-09-16, 09:47 AM.
    SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• Connormcintosh
      • Jun 2015
      • Gascoyne Junction

Would be pushing it getting the Friday and Monday off. But could take the Monday off push through Friday night and meet you at Hyden Saturday morning. Dead keen.
      Had; 2005 NP 3.8L auto with all the berries

Now 2010 Patrol Zd30 with even more berries

Comment

• Maximage
        • Mar 2013
        • Darch, Perth, WA

Friday would just be a case of leaving Perth maybe about 5 or 6PM. Will mean getting to Hyden about 11PM. Monday is a public holiday.
        Last edited by Maximage; 07-09-16, 01:09 PM.
        SOLD: 2013 DiD VRX, MM locker, Dueller 697s, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX9500-Q winch, full Bushskinz plates and sliders, Lovells/Bilsteins with PolyAirs, Airtec snorkel, Jonny Tig Front Mount Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" exhaust, RalliArt ECU, FuelManager diesel pre-filter, EGR block & catch can, BRC breathers, Hella 4000 HIDs, LED Light Bar, BCDC dual battery system, Tow Pro Elite brake controller, Couplertec, spare tyre lift, Whispbar roof racks.

Comment

• Connormcintosh
          • Jun 2015
          • Gascoyne Junction

Well that scratches me off forgot it was that weekend. Have to work all public holidays. Will keep an eye on it but will have to relegate myself to probably not.

Comment

• Maximage
            • Mar 2013
            • Darch, Perth, WA

Keep an eye on the thread as it may end up that whatever we do, you can leave Sunday afternoon to head home maybe.

Comment

• Maximage
              • Mar 2013
              • Darch, Perth, WA

OK, when I've done the Holland previously, looking at time stamps on photos, first time we only hit the start of the track at 11:30AM, having driven to Hyden the night before (which is about a 3 1/2 hour drive from Perth City). We spent the morning before hitting the track checking out Wave Rock and getting a lazy brekky in town and fuelling up etc. We planned to take 3 days, so took it very slowly.

We stopped plenty of times and explored plenty of spots, but were done driving by 4:30 the first day. Next day we set off about 8AM. By midday we had finished the track and were out at Cave Hill exploring further. Now this was just 2 cars, so travelling with a couple of more cars often makes it take a touch longer. We certainly didn't rush it, however, given such a late start the first day, I think expecting maybe a midday-ish finish of the Holland on the Sunday isn't too unrealistic.

Second time I did it was with a mate with one of his kids who was about 4 at the time. Every stop involved him getting his bike off the roof rack, and heaps of exploring for tadpoles and stuff like that, so certainly took a lot longer on each stop, and did more stops. Despite this, first day we started the track at about 10AM, and were set up at camp the first night in the same spot as my previous trip by 5PM. And that was a much slower, much longer stop style trip.

Current thinking is, head out of Perth about 5 or 6ish depending on peoples work commitments Friday. Hit Hyden Caravan Park Fri night about 9 or 10PM.

Sat morning fuel up etc at Hyden, onto track. Camp 2/3 the way along the track that night, depending on when we feel like stopping.

Sunday continue on and finish some time around midday give or take a couple of hours either way. Track basically ends in Coolgardie.

Coolgardie to Southern Cross is a 2 hour drive back along the highway, at least in the right direction towards Perth.

Connormcintosh, if you wanted to come along, this is where you could possibly split off and head home for work the next day.

So say we call it in Southern Cross by about 2, give or take. Hour and a half from there north to H&A. Head for camp and set up gives plenty of time.

Monday AM up and exploring more of the range, which will depend on how much we did or didn't see the afternoon before.

Then head back towards home. It would be possible to head out through Jaurdi so at least people can see it if they wish, or just back out the main road we came in on.

Nik, looking at the GPS data I have, when we last left from H&A, we actually headed further north for an hour and a half before then heading south again towards Jaurdi, so heading direct from H&A to Jaurdi probably would take a lot less time than our trip did, just need to check out track info for getting there. But I reckon that would be a play it by ear type scenario. Would probably rather spend more time out at H&A to be honest.

Then head home back to Perth. This would be the long leg, Southern Cross to Perth is a 4 hour stint.

Thoughts anyone?
              Last edited by Maximage; 10-09-16, 02:36 AM.

Comment

• Nik
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2010
                • Perth

The way out from H&A last time was pretty dull going as well. I'd be tempted to skip that all together, spend the time exploring the range and just head out the way we came in. Not a very exciting drive either but it would drop us out about an hour closer to Perth as well from memory. I'm happy to explore some other areas or take a different route though if people fancy it though
                2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Connormcintosh
                  • Jun 2015
                  • Gascoyne Junction

Sounds like a Plan, thank you for considering me in your timeframes. just put it to the boss and it is all go go go. Will keep my eyes glued to this thread for updates.

Comment

• Maximage
                    • Mar 2013
                    • Darch, Perth, WA

So I currently have one mate coming with his Prado and two boys (10 and 12), possibly his bro in law, and my neighbour is hoping to come, as long as he can sort his CVs on his Patrol, with his 7 and 10 year old fellas.

Now given we now have a set destination for the first night (Wave Rock Caravan Park), would people rather travel in convoy, or just make their own way there? At least this stage I will likely be heading out from Osborne Park about 5, maybe Armadale way about 6ish ...

Comment

• Nik
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2010
                      • Perth

I've got a mate coming along (Stuart who you met on H&A), so I'll check with him on leaving times but I wouldn't mind travelling in convoy it's always a bit more fun. Probably meet up around Armadale to avoid trying to do convoy through traffic.

We're keen to see Kalgoorlie as neither of us have been there before so we'll probably head over there on the way out and make our own way back to Perth unless anyone else wants to come along.
                      2005 NP Platinum 3.2 DID Auto, Lovells HD springs, Bilstein shocks, Firestone Airbags, ARB bar, Warn XD 9000 winch, IPF 900 Xtreme Sport lights, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards, Outback Accessories rock sliders, GME 3200 UHF, CTEK Dc to Dc Dual Battery system, 265/75/16 General Grabber AT2 tyres, Torque Converter lock-up kit, Safari snorkel, Taipan high performance exhaust, LRA 66lt long range fuel tank.

Comment

• Connormcintosh
                        • Jun 2015
                        • Gascoyne Junction

Armadale at 6 sounds good.

Comment

• grhyso
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2012
                          • Perth

Looking forwards to the trip report for this one guys, enjoy!
                          2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Paj man
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • Perth

Onsite for this one but keep an eye out on Great Eastern hwy between southern cross and kal - we're starting road works out there this week.
                            1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• Maximage
                              • Mar 2013
                              • Darch, Perth, WA

Will do Paj Man!

OK boys, how about we aim for 6 at Maccas Armadale? I should be leaving Ossie Park at 5, so will be there earlier than 6. If we all end up there earlier, then so be it, we can head off earlier.

Thinking it means we can grab something just to tide over the after work hunger pangs as well, and I have just messaged the Corrigin Pub to see what time their kitchen closes. Should be there by about 8 as long as we don't hang around Armadale, could do a counter meal for some proper food.

Tim (mate in Prado) now has to pick up his wife from the airport Fri night now, so will leave home about 5AM Sat. That will put him in Hyden about 9. By the time we have brekky, shower, have a poke around Wave Rock, and refuse, I don't imagine we will be outta there any time before then, so won't hold us up.

My neighbour and his two fellas (Patrol) is still tossing up attending, but if he is, I imagine he will just meet me at my work at 5, so will be with me when we get to Armadale.

Don't forget I will be bringing an instant hot water system, so if you want to bring a jerry of water, you can use it to have a hot shower n the evening to freshen up.
                              Last edited by Maximage; 19-09-16, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X