Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 23-01-14

Default weird noise in all gears except 4 ? neutral still same noise.

hey guys,

two months ago I bought pajero v6 3.5 1999 petrol. After couple weeks I notice that clutch was bad. so I replaced with new clutch and trow out bearing ( the one at flywheel) after couple weeks driving and didn't noticed any problems I took it for my road trip from perth to Melbourne. after 200 km I heard weird noise in all gears except 4 gear so I pulled over to check it out. I saw all tranny oil over the tranny it was leaking from top. Idrove to a town and filled it again with oil. I was in middle of no where with no tools. now I am in small town and can borrow some tools. so I took covers off and saw it was leaking at shifters. think with glue it will fix it ? so I filled it all up but sound is still there ? if I put the clutch in then sound is gone ? did I break something in tranny or is there something with clutch ? I give office my engine number so new clutch kit and bearing should be good, I didn't reface flywheel just because I am here on holiday and run out of money. thanks a lot

Old 23-01-14
Unregistered as asked

Sounds like you have done cluster bearings in box ................ in first three gears drive is thru cluster in top it's straight thru input shaft to rear mainshaft hence cluster is not loaded. When clutch is in front input shaft which is in direct mesh to cluster stops spinning so noise stops.
Be careful as if cluster bearing collapses completely it will lunch the box and probably leave you were it does.
Meanwhile try to load as least possible thru the gears
Old 23-01-14
Valued Member

The shifter lever leak can be fixed if you clean the surface and a light smear of goop, that's if it's not coming out of a torn boot that is. Normally if it's a torn boot you'll only get a light leakage of transfer case oil.
Old 23-01-14

If it is the V5M31 gearbox I will put my money on the input bearing. Mine had exactly these symptoms and a search here will provide you with posts explaining the job with pictures. My mechanic didn't believe me when I told him what I reckoned it was after looking here but that's exactly what it was when we pulled it down. They use a sealed input shaft bearing for some strange reason (mine now has no inner seal). It can be done quite easily once the box is removed. As my mechanic wasn't so sure of the failure we ordered a full bearing kit and rebuilt the whole gearbox but I could have got away with one bearing as everything else was perfect and saved myself $1000 just in bearings.
Cheers
Nivo

2004 NP GLX 3.2 DID - ARB deluxe winch bullbar, 2" Lovells lift, Dual battery, O/L dual wheel rear bar, Modified LRA 81L aux tank, Custom sliders / sidesteps, UHF, Wetseat neoprene covers, Led lightbars, Undercarriage guarding, Engine guardian, Led reverse lights, Runva 11XP winch.

Yet to happen: Front air locker, led telescopic work lights.
Old 23-01-14
Valued Member

Both the 3litre manual I drive now and the 3.5ltr manual I was driving a few years back had the same input bearing noise as one another. Not sure what bearing it is but it's right at the front just behind the bell housing.
Most people I have spoken to said the input bearing is tough as nails in these boxes and more then likely just the centre bearing or whatever it's called

Sitting there with clutch pedal pushed in the noise is not present, with foot off the clutch in neutral or up on stands in any gear the noise is there. Same noise was present on the previous gearbox I had in the 3ltr as the one I have in there now, although the gearbox in there now is nowhere near as bad. Throw out bearing was ruled out when I put the new clutch in.

Sounds like you may need a new bearing kit put in timoty. Not much point just going in there for one bearing I suppose but ultimately it's up to you in the end
Old 23-01-14
Unregistered as asked

If input shaft bearing only then it would still make a noise in fourth as load / drive still runs thru that bearing The lead to cluster bearings is that it's only noisy in the gears that use the cluster in the drive train
Blue is Fourth gear power train Red is power thru cluster other gears roughly for the idea as this is not a paj box but same concept
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gear box Train.jpg (105.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 23-01-14

the oil leak is big really big. I drove without covers for 5 min and I saw oil coming out at gear shifters metal parts. it runs like water even when I tied 7 bolts down good.. what is best thing to do now for me ? I am just in middle of nowhere but got tools and can get parts but don't have proper internet service on my phone. if it is input bearing ? can I fix it by myself and how do I know for sure ( the input bearing is in tranny right ?) thanks a lot for helping me out
Old 23-01-14

also how come I have this noise now after install new clutch and bearing and run out of tranny oil ? and never heard it before ? also this sound change when I change speed. so if I go faster sound good louder and faster

Last edited by timoty; 23-01-14 at 04:03 PM. Reason: better
Old 23-01-14
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoty View Post
the oil leak is big really big. I drove without covers for 5 min and I saw oil coming out at gear shifters metal parts. it runs like water even when I tied 7 bolts down good.. what is best thing to do now for me ? I am just in middle of nowhere but got tools and can get parts but don't have proper internet service on my phone. if it is input bearing ? can I fix it by myself and how do I know for sure ( the input bearing is in tranny right ?) thanks a lot for helping me out
I'm honestly not to sure about the bearing, Bogger knows a fair bit about these boxes and I would value his opinion more then my own when it comes to gearbox internals.
I was just voicing my issue in case it has any relevance to your issue
And no you would definitely need a shop to get into the bearings for replacement as the box would have to come out.

For the lever, I would unbolt it and take it out then clean the mating surface up then use a smear of rtv on the lever housing(part that the lever bolts to) and put lever back on.
There is two gaskets on the lever base itself where the bolts go through and I'm guessing that the gasket is torn apart or something along those lines. When you get the levers out check the gator boot and see if it's torn as this is very common but because it's above the base plate you would only get a dribble now and then when the oil manages to flick up past the plate.
Old 23-01-14
Unregistered as asked

Running the box dry would be the answer to that one and cluster would suffer most from that .................. ask Lord Mayhem what his box looked like after a no oil episode
Realise your in a bit of a pickle and like Pauly just trying to help ................. for my money try and limp it home ................... use fourth as much as possible not fifth.

Last edited by Bogger; 23-01-14 at 04:09 PM.