Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 10-09-13

Default What's that noise...again

This one has me stumped.

Gen 2 2.8 TD with 175Ks, 5sp Manual with front auto locker and free wheeling hubs.

Intermittent noise that occurs in 2WD (regardless if hubs are locked or unlocked) - not sure about 4WD.

Seems to come from under the hood. It sounds like a random metal on metal 'clack clack'. It's frequency doesn't seem to correspond with engine speed. Sometimes there's one clack, then a series of clacks - appear almost randomly... clack.......clack, clack, clack...........clack.......clack,clack

If I back off from the accelerator it stops. If I shift into neutral and let the car coast, it stops.

It comes and goes. After not hearing it for 3 weeks, it started again while heading out to Neerim South for a weekend trip.

I am currently thinking inlet manifold relief valve, radiator fan or belts, loose circlip somewhere, anti-rattle spring on brakes.....not really sure but it's becoming really frustrating now.

Any help appreciated.
NK 2.8TD, 32" Big horns, 16" sunnies, 2" ome lift, safari snorkel, black widow storage, ARB on board compressor, narva spotties, 40ch uniden, rfi 6dB antenna. Still to be installed: tigerz11 alloy rack, ARB winch bar and tigerz11 12k winch. Wish list: Front auto lokka, 2.5" exhaust.
Old 10-09-13
Valued Member

First thing I would check are the engine and tranny mounts as well as the bushes for the front end.
I had a very annoying noise for ages and when the bushes got replaced the guys showed me one of old ones that was totally crumbled into pieces.
With the new bushes the noise was gone.
Turned out that engine movements caused the vibration within the bush, and metal on metal makes weird noises...
Old 10-09-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder35m View Post
First thing I would check are the engine and tranny mounts as well as the bushes for the front end.
I had a very annoying noise for ages and when the bushes got replaced the guys showed me one of old ones that was totally crumbled into pieces.
With the new bushes the noise was gone.
Turned out that engine movements caused the vibration within the bush, and metal on metal makes weird noises...
Thanks Downunder. Do you mean suspension bushes?
NK 2.8TD, 32" Big horns, 16" sunnies, 2" ome lift, safari snorkel, black widow storage, ARB on board compressor, narva spotties, 40ch uniden, rfi 6dB antenna. Still to be installed: tigerz11 alloy rack, ARB winch bar and tigerz11 12k winch. Wish list: Front auto lokka, 2.5" exhaust.