Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Electrical / Radios

Electrical / Radios Discussion of electrical systems and accessories.

Old 09-10-11

Default DC to DC charger or VSR?

Im about to put some dual batteries in the np on the tray i made. Ive got a redarc smart isolator here which on my old vehicle seemed to do the trick, but i keep seeing all this talk about DC to DC chargers and the cost quite a bit just wondering if theyre worth it or just sticknto the old VSR.

Ive been told i should use an AGM battery, i will be running 2 andersons at the rear, one on the towbar to charge the van battery when we get another one, and one in the rear seat well so i can add another battery for extended stays without the van as i can only fit a 75-80 Ah under the bonnet and not keen to ditch the cranker cause it was new not long ago. My primary use is just to run my 60ltr waeco.

2003 Silver NP DiD Exceed Auto, MMA alloy bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, 2DIN GPS unit w/ Reverse Camera, DBS w/ RedArc SmartStart w/ overide, 82AH AGM & HD 20A Sockets in rear for WAECO 60LTR, ARB on board Air Compressor, RedArc Remote Head Brake controller, 2" HD/F, SD/R Lovells & OzTech shocks with Firestone Coil-Rites, 265/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion AT's, ProRack Crossbars & Awning

2012 Black ASV50 Toyota Camry Atara SL

2006 Jayco Destiny 16.51-1
Old 09-10-11

I'm having the Redarc 1240 installed on Wed next week by DSS. With all the research I did I can see the following pros and cons:
Pros
Much faster charging (important if not driving long distances between stops).
You get a 100% charge or close to it (where relying on the alternator you'll only get about 75%).
You can get away with a smaller battery because of the extra charge you get.
Easy solar connection
Battery conditioning so your battery has a much more usable depth and longevity.
Excellent for multiple battery systems.
Cons
Expensive - $475 on EBay (I got mine from autoelec, it arrived the next day).

Cheers

Craig
2011 NT RX2, BLack Widow draws & cargo barrier, ARB fridge & slide, HD 2" lift, Bushskinz, Redarc BCDC, dual batteries, solar, Airtec snorkel, GME Tx3540, Smart bar, diff breathers, D697 LT's, Rhino roof basket, Traxrax, Boab 40lt water tank

Last edited by Nater; 09-10-11 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-10-11

Heres some pics of my dual battery install. Done by the guys at DSS at Moffat Beach using the Redarc 1240 DC-DC Solar charger/isolator. The solar plug has been mounted out the front just out of view behind the number plate. The Redarc is the regulator also to get the maximum out of the panels. The battery is an Interstate 100ah and is in the original battery tray with the cranking battery moved to a new Piranha tray. Two plugs are located in the rear along with a small LCD temperature display.

Cheers

Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 171.jpg (187.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 174.jpg (188.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 177.jpg (176.6 KB, 75 views)
2011 NT RX2, BLack Widow draws & cargo barrier, ARB fridge & slide, HD 2" lift, Bushskinz, Redarc BCDC, dual batteries, solar, Airtec snorkel, GME Tx3540, Smart bar, diff breathers, D697 LT's, Rhino roof basket, Traxrax, Boab 40lt water tank

Last edited by Nater; 13-10-11 at 05:56 AM.
Old 15-10-11

DC - DC Chargers work very well, i have a dual battery setup under the bonnet and have mounted the 1220 in the rear of the car to charge the AGM I carry when travelling. Both systems work well.