• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dreamerman
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • Sydney

Replace air filter

To replace the air filter, do I need to totally detach the the air box cover or enough to undo the 4 retaining clips and slide the air box aside?
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
    To replace the air filter, do I need to totally detach the the air box cover or enough to undo the 4 retaining clips and slide the air box aside?

Four clips? Ours only has 3.

Release the clips. From the drivers side gently pull the top towards you as it has lugs at the rear. Lift the lid and tilt it up. Bingo.

Comment

• dreamerman
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • Sydney

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
      Four clips? Ours only has 3
      Hi sorry yes there are only 3. Thanks for your feedback.
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | KUMHO AT51 265/65R17 | Ultragauge MX v1.4 | AEM GPS Speedometer | Yakima Platform on OCAM Backbone | OEM Tow Bar | KAON Internal Rear Roof Shelf | ARB Smartbar

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2016
        • Greater Sydney

Oops. forgot to mention to mention to remove the clip behind the headlight on the air box.

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Not sure about the NX, but my NW has 3 clips, and there are 2 lugs on the lid which slide into slots on the side of the box on the engine side. It is awkward to remove the lid. I am told that it is easy to break the lugs if you are not careful.

Comment

• Dicko1
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2014
            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
            Not sure about the NX, but my NW has 3 clips, and there are 2 lugs on the lid which slide into slots on the side of the box on the engine side. It is awkward to remove the lid. I am told that it is easy to break the lugs if you are not careful.

Same here on my NW. Undo clips AND CAREFULLY PULL LID TOWARDS THE MUDGUARD, SLIDING THE TABS OUT OF THEIR SOCKET. Would be easy to break if your rushed or ham fisted.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• dreamerman
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2009
              • Sydney

Thanks guys, I replaced my stock with K&N filter and very carefully remove the airbox cover. I found it easier to do so after detaching the plumbing/ tube. It is pretty hard to clip back on since the rubber on K&N filter is stiffer than stock. Happy with the performance

Comment

• Hatto
                Valued Member
                • Nov 2013
                • Mandurah WA

I run a K&N filter also. When doing so it is even more necessary to clean your MAF sensor regularly. My MAF is always dirtier than it used to be when I ran the standard paper filter.
                Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• dreamerman
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • Sydney

Originally posted by Hatto View Post
                  I run a K&N filter also. When doing so it is even more necessary to clean your MAF sensor regularly. My MAF is always dirtier than it used to be when I ran the standard paper filter.
                  Agreed and I have also bought a CRC spray as well.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                    Thanks guys, I replaced my stock with K&N filter and very carefully remove the airbox cover. I found it easier to do so after detaching the plumbing/ tube. It is pretty hard to clip back on since the rubber on K&N filter is stiffer than stock. Happy with the performance

If Mitsi want to get narky The K&N may affect your engine warranty.

Comment

• dreamerman
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2009
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                      If Mitsi want to get narky The K&N may affect your engine warranty.
                      When I send my car in I remove the EGR module, K&N filter and BT OBD2. It is given.

Comment

• dreamerman
                        Valued Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • Sydney

I took out the MAF sensor today after almost 9000 kms for cleaning. Looks very clean but sprayed it anyways. Had a K&N panel filter for most of the time. Was afraid of oil vapors from the K&N filter.

On a whim I replaced the K&N with the original air filter. After a short drive, I felt the difference between K&N and paper filter. K&N more responsive and paper less so. I know it may be paper does a better job at filtering so letting less air passing through. Even so, driving with K&N certainly feels perkier.

Even though I have used K&N filters for many years and never had issues I still worry about the negative reviews all over WWW. Some swear by it some avoid it.

Comment

• Hatto
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Mandurah WA

I also run a K&N filter and have done for a couple of years on road only. If I go off road in dusty conditions I always put the paper on back in
                          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X