• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • puppy
    • Jul 2011
    • NSW

boat trailer electric winch

hi all. looking to bring my electric boat winch safety up to code.

15 foot working length,7/32 steel cable 1.2 tonne boat aluminium hook attachment point.

want to start using a 'damper' around the cable in case of failure, not sure what that's called or what to use, don't want to be a redneck, want it work ,not find out if it works. figure theres some pretty good knowledge here.

also thinking of going another step and adding a wireless remote control .
    I see cheap wireless kits on ebay, figure add a relay rated to 50 amp continuous? and good to go ?

any thoughts appreciated. - pup
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

As you've asked for thoughts...

Thought 1- get rid of the steel cable. It's hard on your hands and sucks. Use synthetic rope (you can get rope specifically for boat winches) or webbing.

Thought 2- don't worry about a dampener there shouldn't be anywhere enough load on the cable to recal if broken (and not enough load to break). Definately not an issue with synthetic rope.

Thought 3- wireless winch control for a boat trailer would be awesome for single person trips. Good idea! The wireless remotes are not designed to switch loads (even 50a)- you would need to use a relay or solenoid (like used in 4wd setups).
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• puppy
      • Jul 2011
      • NSW

hi geopaj. thx for your reply.

the weakpoint is the aluminium eye on the boat. aluminium suffers from stress over repeated cycles.. really no way to assess.

unfortunately dyneema etc rope stacks higher than the cable, winch then struggles , and I think the manufacturer recommends against it. - pup

Comment

• geopaj
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by puppy View Post
        the weakpoint is the aluminium eye on the boat. aluminium suffers from stress over repeated cycles.. really no way to assess.
        That makes sense. From your original post I thought you were concerned about the rope breaking. We've had a few issues with the boat's eye too (fibreglass boat with an eye through bolt that didn't have an appropriately sized plate behind it - only a couple of small washers which caused the fibreglass to crack).
        Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X