• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fritz
    • Jan 2017
    • Adelaide

Gearbox/clutch noise at idle

Hi all,

I recently had my 2010 Challenger 3rd gear hub/synchro replaced by my local Mitsubishi dealer and in the process I had them fit an Exedy Safari clutch kit (purchased from Exedydirect.com).

According to the dealer everything went to plan, however now when the gearbox has warmed up, there is a horrible rattle/chattering noise coming from the gearbox area at idle, where before it wasn't there. The noise goes away when I depress the clutch and also when I apply a little pressure to the gear selector (on any of the gears).

I took it back and was told that the noise was normal, that it was just the input shaft chattering a little and that its quite normal for manuals to do it. I also spoke to an independent gearbox repair shop and they told me that the clutch I chose is the cause, and this commonly happens when upgrading to a heavier duty clutch, they called it clutch rollover noise.
    I have never heard of this before, is it normal? If so, the noise is really irritating and to me sometimes sounds louder than the engine.
    BTW the dealer did offer to pull the box apart again to check it, free of charge.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

Take the dealer up on the offer.

Why would clutch noise get worse when the gear box warms up?

Why would pressure on the gear stick affect clutch noise?

It could be the thrust bearing dragging while the pedal is released, and loaded the pedal is in, but the gear stick won't affect that noise.

It's not the spigot bearing.

Something in the gear box isn't right. While the oil is cold & thick the noise isn't audible - it's only once the oil warms and thins that the rattle becomes noticeable. Your clutch isn't oiled - oil temperature won't affect it.

Pressure on the gear stick makes the noise go away - that suggests to me the problem is with some roller bearings inside the selector mechanism.

The noise won't go away. The gearbox needs to come back out.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

Had our OME clutch replaced under warranty for similar noise ... was not so common for the challenger but a bulletin on the MN mitisi ... (sounded like a tractor) ..

NB still go a clutch squeak from the fork ...
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• itsamitsi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2015
        • Hervey Bay Queensland

Don't they call that roll over noise?
        Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• PC Challenger
          • May 2014
          • Earth

I had a simular noise. My car used to make a rattling noise when idling with the clutch out. As soon as i touched the clutch is would go away.
          Mitz dropped the box and lubricated something and problem was fixed. And hasbt come back. Still genuine clutch at 97G.

And now that i think of it. The problem started after river crossings. Just food for thought.
          Stock PC Challenger

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post
            Don't they call that roll over noise?
            LOL ... yeah they tried that one on me ... but it's a known problem (mine was more of a tractor noise at idle) ...

NB no noise now after replacement 30k km ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X