X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scrambler
    • Jul 2018
    • Toowoomba, Qld

The thread has caused me to recheck and it seems things changed in NSW in 2011. Qld (my home) still has the repairable/statutory distinction.

I still say that the LESS the damage the more you need to worry. If it was deemed uneconomical to repair a $10000 car then I want to see $8000 of damage. If there's $1000 of damage then I would wonder what I'd missed.

The NSW laws baffle me. The only way you can come into posession of a vehicle that has substantial damage is to inherit it. If you bought a car for $5000 and it got hit by a hailstorm 2 weeks later then its a writeoff, nothing can be done. But if its 5 weeks later then you could buy it off the insurer, panelbeat and paint and reregister. Eh?
    =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
    =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

A friend of ours had a Honda Civic. I didn't like it but must admit that it was a very nice car. A hailstorm in Sydney caused minor dents,but in almost every panel. She took it to the tin bashers, but the assessors wrote it off. It was only 3 years old and had 55000 km on it. I assume it was a repairable writeoff, but even moreso, I suspect that someone close to the assessor may have had his eye on it for a simple weekend of bogging and painting, and it would have been a really good car for someone.

Comment

• David79
        • Aug 2015
        • Christchurch NZ

Originally posted by NJV6 View Post
        There are hundreds of perfectly safe oz write offs driving about NZ. It’s well documented and even has a dedicated website that lists the damage. For a vehicle to be complied in NZ after a write off it is amazingly strict with a lot of the vehicle being stripped and inspected and signed off.
        Enter the rego/vin motor this site and see what comes up.
        Flood damaged, water damaged and written-off vehicles that have not been correctly repaired can compromise the safety of vehicle features. Check your vehicle against this list of vehicles that have come to our attention.

I wouldn’t be too stressed about it being written off for superficial damage if it’s been all checked out and not deep water damaged, that’s damage that will show its head later in life.
        Correct.
        I have an NW Exceed written off in NSW with water damage.
        It was actually water that came in the top of the rear door which had a misaligned rubber seal. A torrential downpour 200mm+ that was in the news, and other vehicles written off at the same time. Water came through the carpets to the front passenger side.
        Long story, but I talked to the original owners, husband & wife, and the inspection workshops before buying it. It was privately imported to NZ
        Have since done 33,000+ kms and very happy.
        Thank you NSW.

A couple of current ones for sale:

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X