• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitsu Miyagi
    • Oct 2013
    • QLD

NP Oil (fluid?) leak with Pic

Naturally after a couple weeks of owning the Pajero, then only will it start leaking onto my driveway.

Its coming from between where the transmission meets the engine. It looks more like engine oil, rather than trans fluid. Opinions people?

Rear main seal?

2005 NP GLX Pajero 3.8L 5sp auto 198,000km
  • my.paj
    • Dec 2010
    • Tullamarine

It does look like motor oil and it could be rear main but check up top first, like cam seals, rocker cover, depends on what motor.
    Rick
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• Mitsu Miyagi
      • Oct 2013
      • QLD

sorry just added some info in my sig

3.8L.

its hard to see anything more than whats in the photo, but im pretty sure theres nothing coming from top of the motor. I degreased it all, and took it out for one 5km trip and thats how quick it seems to build up. Looks to be coming from around that hole

Comment

• 04exceed
        • Jun 2013
        • sydney

ive got 04 exceed, 3.8, exact same thing, to the point i want to see if ur in my garage now.......jk lol

mine has had that for 20k kms, and not a single drop has ever hit the concrete in my garage floor, so im not exactly worried about it until it gets alot worse...
        2004 NP Exceed, 3.8

Comment

• Easykill1978
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • Melbourne Vic

Originally posted by 04exceed View Post
          ive got 04 exceed, 3.8, exact same thing, to the point i want to see if ur in my garage now.......jk lol

mine has had that for 20k kms, and not a single drop has ever hit the concrete in my garage floor, so im not exactly worried about it until it gets alot worse...
          u should be, rear engine seals can leak slowly and suddenly go at anytime.. esp when you rev her and the pressure climbs.. which would then pump a lot of oil in that chamber.. and if manual ruined clutch.. and all sorts of bad fun for the owner.

rear engine seals if leaking should be replaced as soon as possible.. a full day and $30 for a new seals and then add new engine oil you should be good to go.
          My Car is up for Sale => Link to Market Place

Has a current Vic roadworthy (valid from the 28/04/2016)

Comment

• Mitsu Miyagi
            • Oct 2013
            • QLD

they said it looks to be the crankshaft seal (isnt that the rear main?)

and it would be 8 hours labour @ $120 hr = $960 plus Seal.

fook that.....

Comment

• hobbo
              Valued Member
              • May 2009
              • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Rear Seal leaks are Not uncommon in any V6 Engine, check out Commodore VN to VY ! I would just keep an eye on it until it starts to get much worse, which I dought will be anytime soon. Start saving for a year then you can do a few other jobs while the Engine is out and on the floor, e.g. Timing Belt, Plugs, Water Pump, Manifold, etc.
              NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• Easykill1978
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • Melbourne Vic

Originally posted by Mitsu Miyagi View Post
                they said it looks to be the crankshaft seal (isnt that the rear main?)

and it would be 8 hours labour @ $120 hr = $960 plus Seal.

fook that.....

YUP you would need to drop the gearbox and remove the clutch kit etc.

Comment

• hobbo
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2009
                  • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Its an Auto, Pull the Engine out in 12 mths and do the major service at the same time. Just check your PCV is OK, if its blocked or broken it could be Pressurising the Engine, forcing oil out the rear seal.
                  NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• Easykill1978
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Melbourne Vic

Originally posted by hobbo View Post
                    Its an Auto, Pull the Engine out in 12 mths and do the major service at the same time. Just check your PCV is OK, if its blocked or broken it could be Pressurising the Engine, forcing oil out the rear seal.
                    PCV ?

fair enough, i forgot it was an auto.. whoops.

Comment

• Mitsu Miyagi
                      • Oct 2013
                      • QLD

its already been in for its major service for 2 days last week, and has to go back tommorow as they didnt even get that right

dont you love cars

Comment

• Mitsu Miyagi
                        • Oct 2013
                        • QLD

i just noticed now oil is pissing out from the front drivers side spark plug out the top of the rocker cover

this would be the tube seal correct? I swear it wasnt leaking when i took it in for a spark plug change, is it possible to damage the seal when changing plugs?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X