• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drof
    • Sep 2010
    • South Australia

ECU Remap with Ecutek (MRT) - Impressions

All,

A few weeks ago I had my Challenger in for an ECU remap via MRT and the EcuTek software. The work was completed in Perth by a local company who are an agent for MRT as well. Below are my main comments/feedback, as it was hard to find alot of this info easily before getting the work done. My vehicle is a 2010 LS auto with 30K on it.

- Power/torque. My tune acheived a 42% increase in torque. There are a couple main differences in how it is delivered/drives; There is an obvious improvement in how early torque starts to come on - things are really getting on the boil by around 1,800rpm; There's a lot more of it - especially once just over 2,000rpm, the increase is substantial and its quite easy to get traction control working in 2nd gear (auto) - from around 2,400rpm its a monster; It's very linear - gone is that annoying double hump in the factory torque curve, once it's on, it stays on! In short, the change in performance is excellent, but so is the way in which it is delivered. Mitsubishi could have done a lot better out of the factory.

- Lag. There's still some, but it's definitely reduced, and the increase in how fast things spin up (more torque), and the much more linear profile make it hardly noticeable except from dead idle (in an auto at least).

- Fuel economy. It's still a bit early to give exact figures, but the 2 tanks since the remap have definitely done better, and the in dash read out seems to be around 1-2 L/100kms better than before.

- Engine noise. No real change in rattle. There's a little more turbo over spool (whistle), but that's probably just due to extra boost.

- Smoke. If anything, slightly less than the factory map, but definitely no more than stock.

- Exhaust Gas Recycle (EGR). The remap closes the valve at basically all throttle settings off idle. There is no need for a blanking plate and this should also go some way to preventing carbon build up in the intake.

- Mitsubishi can over write the map? Yes - correct. If a service is performed and a software update completed, it is possible the map can be over written. However, Mitsubishi cannot see that the vehicle has been remapped. If over written, your EcuTek map can be reloaded (for free I believe), as MRT save all customer maps.

- Dyno vs Road tune. When the remapping is done, the first step is loading a new map based on all of MRT's R&D with their 2.5L DiD. There are then two ways forward, road tune or dyno tune. The general recommendation for a stock Challenger (or Triton), is that a road tune should be more than sufficient, as the mapping has already been basically perfected on a stock vehicle. For road tuning, the vehicle is then driven around on the road and logged and then the log file is sent back to MRT to check parameters (exhaust temps etc) and make minor adjustments etc. The advantage of this its cheaper than dyno tuning which wouldn't seem necessary. This is the path I originally took, however, the final result wasnt quite what expected - there was a noticeable increase in torque and power, but higher in the rev range than what other vehicle dyno charts had suggested. All credit to MRT and their Perth agent, as when I asked about this, they said it didn't sound right, and then put the car on the dyno (at their cost) to ensure the result was correct. The final dyno tuned result is much improved than the road tune, and inline with my pre remap expectations. The local agent said differences in each engine, including original build plus age and service since new would mean that the base MRT map would yield slightly different results on each vehicle - in my case it was obviously not quite correct. Lesson - go for the dyno option upfront.

- Cost. Mine was $1,500 for the road tune option. The dyno option was a few $100 more, but as per above, is the way I would recommend going to ensure best results (plus you get the graph and figures).

All up, I'm very happy with the results and the service from MRT and their agent in Perth (there are several). I'm happy to provide further feedback on other questions. Would also stongly recommend the tuner in Perth, but please IM for details.

Cheers,

Drof
    Last edited by drof; 05-06-13, 06:34 PM.
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

Good write up mate.

It is good to get a true insight into another option then some of the chips that are flogged on the market that don't deliver a promised. MRT have a great reputation too.
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

sounds great
      would it at all be possible to post
      the dyno chart ?
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• drof
        • Sep 2010
        • South Australia

I could post mine, but to be honest, it's probably a bit misleading. The reason being that unlike the charts that MRT have on their website, which have been run on a hub dyno in a manual, mine was done on a roller dyno and is an auto. It means that the curve when plotted against rpm looks a but odd, possibly due to some slip, but also because of the auto box. For instance, the torque curve continues to increase all the way down to 1,300rpm, which obviously isn't correct, and doesn't reflect the way it feels when driving (peak torque is probably around 2,200rpm (as per the MRT plot). I would suggest the MRT plot in the link below is a good chart and indicative of what you could expect, and also feels about right in terms of how the car now drives:

What I can tell you is that peak torque on the base map was 404 Nm (note - this was a reloaded base map after the road tune didn't result in a desired outcome, not the factory auto base map), and post tune, the peak torque was 576 Nm (42% increase). Rear wheel power went from 82.4kW to 93.3kW (13% increase, which would be 17kW at the flywheel based on factory 131kW). While the absolute values may not be totally correct, the % changes are probably pretty good data.

As part of my tune, I specifically focused on an icnrease in bottom end torque/lag reduction and wasn't too concerned about peak power, which is refelcted in those results. The beauty of the EcuTek approach is that you can tweak it to suit your requirements. MRT's website quotes the XA tuning kit as delivering 35% more torque and 30kW more power (flywheel) - my results would roughly support those fgiures.

Cheers,

Drof
        Last edited by drof; 05-06-13, 06:29 PM.

Comment

• AndyRW
          • Jul 2011
          • Brisbane

Had my ecutek done in Brisbane and have to say very disappointed in result. When I went for a drive with the tuner after the remap was done he was going on about how much better it felt,,,, sorry but it felt no different. Fuel consumption went up if anything and a lot more black smoke. Had it back to them on two occasions to try to rectify a surging and choofing sound that had appeared after the tune and had no luck with getting the problem solved. The tuner said that Ecutek in England has said everything was fine,,Hmmmm.

Overall it was a waste of money IMO. I'm glad that others have had better luck, but be aware that there are failures, mine as case in point.

Best regards

Steve

Comment

• drof
            • Sep 2010
            • South Australia

Steve (AndyRW),

Sorry to hear your remap didn't work out so well. I must admit, after the 'road tune' remap I wasn't real happy with mine (see original post), but after the dyno tune it was very good. I'm curious if you went for the road tune only, or did it get done on the dyno.

MRT were very good with me when I fed back my initial impressions of the road tune, spending nearly a day with the vehicle on the dyno getting it how I wanted (at their expense). If you are unhappy, I'd let MRT know, as I think it can probably be fixed.

Cheers,

Drof

Comment

• AndrewF
              • Jun 2011
              • Burwood East

Hi guys,

The ECU "re-tune/flash" was one of the two options I was checking out (the other being a Diesel "smart module" by "Supercar Performance" (http://www.supercarperformance.com.au/diesel_smart.php) so I was particularly interested in this thread.

Drof: Thanks for reporting to the forum with such a detailed post, it's very helpful.

It's interesting to see the degree of improvement you've achieved and appears to be what I was hoping for.

Questions:
              Was that with no other mods? Are you still on your standard exhaust etc?
              I believe from your post that you can ask for specific objectives (such as max low rev torque and minimal turbo lag, which I'm after). Is that right?

Steve (AndyRW)
              It's disappointing to hear of your results and going by your post your issues were not resolved after going back to the provider, which is a bit of a worry. Hopefully that's a local dealer issue?

Cheers,
              Andrew
              2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• drof
                • Sep 2010
                • South Australia

Originally posted by AndrewF View Post
                Questions:
                Was that with no other mods? Are you still on your standard exhaust etc?
                I believe from your post that you can ask for specific objectives (such as max low rev torque and minimal turbo lag, which I'm after). Is that right?
                Andrew, yes, my vehicle is 100% stock (no exhaust or filter or anything). Speaking with MRT, there is very little left to be gained with an exhaust while keeping the factory turbo (basically the turbo is the limiting factor once remapped). If you really want more, then you would need to do turbo and exhaust, which is much further than I'm willing to go. I remember seeing a thread, maybe over on newtriton, where someone had put an exhaust on and had before and after charts with the Ecutek map, was only a minimal difference (a few kWs).

The base map that MRT provide has already been optimised, but if you go for the dyno tune option, and you get a good tuner, they can spend some time getting things a bit more customised. I definitely recommend going with the dyno option. You could always ask MRT for an end result inline with mine (they can probably load my tune as the starting base map?).

Drof
                Last edited by drof; 05-06-13, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• norto
                  • Jan 2010
                  • Batemans Bay

I had an MRT remap done about 6 months ago and
                  the dealer overwrote it.
                  When MRT found i had a 3" exhaust they sent me a new map to suit the exhaust. The car now pulls from about 1200 rpm with almost no turbo lag.
                  Pete

Comment

• drof
                    • Sep 2010
                    • South Australia

Pete,

Yes, I forgot to say that. An exhaust should help with lag and spool up, but may not change peak values much (with current turbo).

Drof

Comment

• norto
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Batemans Bay

Yeah
                      Its a very good combination, makes it a pleasure to drive.
                      Pete

Comment

• AndrewF
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Burwood East

Originally posted by drof View Post
                        Andrew, yes, my vehicle is 100% stock (no exhaust or filter or anything). Speaking with MRT, there is very little left to be gained with an exhaust while keeping the factory turbo (basically the turbo is the limiting factor once remapped). If you really want more, then you would need to do turbo and exhaust, which is much further than I'm willing to go. I remember seeing a thread, maybe over on newtriton, where someone had put an exhaust on and had before and after charts with the Ecutek map, was only a minimal difference (a few kWs).

The base map that MRT provide has already been optimised, but if you go for the dyno tune option, and you get a good tuner, they can spend some time getting things a bit more customised. I definitely recommend going with the dyno option. You could always ask MRT for an end result inline with mine (they can probably load my tune as the starting base map?).

Drof
                        Thanks mate. I was considering whether to do the exhaust as well before I get any ecu flash etc. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by norto View Post
                        I had an MRT remap done about 6 months ago and
                        the dealer overwrote it.
                        When MRT found i had a 3" exhaust they sent me a new map to suit the exhaust. The car now pulls from about 1200 rpm with almost no turbo lag.
                        Ahhh, good info thanks. So sounds as though the exhaust might be worth doing as well, as I'm primarily after getting torque developing down at as low a rev range as possible.

Thanks guys... I might end up going down this path too, as I'm apprehensive about adding any devices to the vehicle and like the idea behind ECU updates etc...

Cheers,
                        Andrew
                        2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• norto
                          • Jan 2010
                          • Batemans Bay

Get the exhaust before the remap or it will cost more to get the tune altered to suit the exhaust
                          Pete

Comment

• AndrewF
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Burwood East

Originally posted by norto View Post
                            Get the exhaust before the remap or it will cost more to get the tune altered to suit the exhaust
                            Hi mate,

Yep, if I do the exhaust it will be definitely be done before any re-tuning...

Any suggestions/recommendations re: exhaust? As in types etc, not locations...

Thanks,
                            Andrew

Comment

• drof
                              • Sep 2010
                              • South Australia

Yep, if I do the exhaust it will be definitely be done before any re-tuning...
                              Yes, this is the way to go, then definitely go for the dyno tuned remap.

Any suggestions/recommendations re: exhaust? As in types etc, not locations...
                              Scotts Rods exhausts seem like an option. I can't personally recommend these, but there are a lot of people over on the newtriton forums using them, and I think there was even a group buy in the past. Feedback on those forums is good - could always PM a few members:

Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

Drof

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X