Below Nav Bar

Collapse

About Mods to my 17NX, don't have a clue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingbrown
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Port Augusta - SA

Originally posted by DaKaptin View Post
    Exhast gas recirculation is a pipe going from your exhast manifold to the intake pipe just after the air filter. The exhaust gasses have oil vapour and carbon soot in it.
    DaKapitan, that description is not altogether correct.

EGR valve and pipewerk feeds soot-laden exhaust gas into the intake manifold, downstream of the throttle valve.

The oily vapours (Positive Crankcase Ventilation PCV) are piped from the tappet cover and are drawn into the air intake pipe upstream of the turbo. That's where a catch can would be fitted to intercept the oily vapours.

Typical configuration of egr is attached:

Engine Control System and Sensors.pdf
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by liyunzhnen001 View Post
      Hi, mate. Your reply is very helpful, I really appreciate that. However, I emailed Malaga suspension, and they said: I could go 20% over the 50mm legally, so it is gonna be 60mm at maximum. I guess I could put 1 inch on tyres and 40mm on suspension?

The 20% over the 50mm limit got me interested so I looked up the WA requirements and to my surprise there has been changes on the way VSB14 is applied. Now if you change your ride height with a suspension lift it now require an inspection by an authorised person.

I could find nothing about the 20% variation that Malaga Suspension is quoting, I would be getting that in writing!

WTF, lets put more cost back on to the poor consumer rather than making if illegal for installers/sellers to sell and fit illegal suspensions systems.

WA Guys, you better read this;

The following modifications do not need written pre-approval from the DoT and can be assessed by an Authorised Inspection Station (AIS) vehicle examiner at time of the inspection.

I have only had a brief read and I am not sure if this is retrospective legislation and if it isn't then will you have to carry proof of your upgrades that were legal without an independent inspection just a month ago.

OJ
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
        • Nov 2018
        • WA

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        The 20% over the 50mm limit got me interested so I looked up the WA requirements and to my surprise there has been changes on the way VSB14 is applied. Now if you change your ride height with a suspension lift it now require an inspection by an authorised person.

I could find nothing about the 20% variation that Malaga Suspension is quoting, I would be getting that in writing!

WTF, lets put more cost back on to the poor consumer rather than making if illegal for installers/sellers to sell and fit illegal suspensions systems.

WA Guys, you better read this;

The following modifications do not need written pre-approval from the DoT and can be assessed by an Authorised Inspection Station (AIS) vehicle examiner at time of the inspection.

I have only had a brief read and I am not sure if this is retrospective legislation and if it isn't then will you have to carry proof of your upgrades that were legal without an independent inspection just a month ago.

OJ
        Thx, mate, I will double check before I order. However, I did save the email with them

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
          • Nov 2018
          • WA

Originally posted by DaKaptin View Post
          Exhast gas recirculation is a pipe going from your exhast manifold to the intake pipe just after the air filter. The exhaust gasses have oil vapour and carbon soot in it. The oil sticks to the walls and the carbon sticks to the oil. Fast forward several 10's of thousands of kilometres and your intake becomes clogged with the stuff resulting in loss of POWER, poor efficiency, and an expensive clean up bill

There are many threads on it for many makes of diesel 4wds.

For a 2017 nx pajero the only easy way to limit your car's exposure to this is fitting an oil catch can

HPD
          This kit was designed for 2 reasons,  The first reason was to suit the later model NX Pajero.  The second being that customers who wish to run an aftermarket snorkel on their NS, NT and NW model Pajero cannot use our OCC-B-MP kit as it interferes with the mounting bracket. Our solution was to move the location of the kit to the firewall on factory mounting points between the windscreen wiper motor and firewall for a neat and easy to maintain catch can.  Please note: This kit is not compatible with Manual transmission vehicles as there is a clutch cylinder that will interfere with the mounting of this catch can.    “Protect your investment fit HPD’s oil separator kit.” HPD’s Australian made billet CNC machined oil catch can / oil air separators have been designed to reduce the amount of oil from the engines crank case breather entering the intake system. The issue is with the oil entering the intake system on modern diesel engines fitted with EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) where the exhaust gas valve is commanded by the ECM (engine control module) to open and allow exhaust gasses back into the inlet mixing with the oil that’s been left as a film inside the inlet manifold, thus this process just keeps on repeating itself, causing the issue of the manifold being blocked or clogged reducing the air flow to the engine’s cylinders, resulting in lack of performance, black smoke, engine wear and even engine failure. HPD’s oil catch can / oil separators come in universal and complete kits with all required stainless steel laser cut bracketry, correct size hose tail fitting, washable internal stainless mesh filters, cut to size oil resistant hosing, bolts, nuts, washer, spring clamps and installation instructions for each vehicle. Key Benefits: Reduces oil in intake system Allows intercooler to work efficiently Eliminates carbon & oil build up in inlet manifold Keeps inlet ports and valves clean Reduces engine wear Reduces exhaust smoke Maintains economy Keeps air and map sensors clean Maintains engine performance Kit features: Billet Alluminum Catch can Internal stainless mesh filters Dipstick to check oil level Simply unscrew base to empty oil 19mm Screw in hose fittings Mounting brackets & hoses This kit only suits Automatic transmission.

PROVENT 200

Mitsubishi Pajero NM NX 4M41 3.2L DID 2006-2015 - Provent Oil Catch Can Kit Pro Vent pro vent pro%20vent prov-ent pro_vent pv200 pv 200 pv%20200

are two popular models of oil catch cans.

Some dont fit well out of the box depending on snorkel fitment so check stuff like this first!

I know tjm snorkels go with HPD becuase i have them ;-)

The other way is ensuring the valve that controls when and how much the EGR pipe is being used remains closed for as much as possible. On dpf model pajeros (2017 onwards) this is not entirely achievable without witchcraft and voodoo tactics beyond my knowledge and carefactor.

The easy way is buy a Munji cable or similar but it will still not be able to close it off all the time!

IMPORTANT:- If you are uncertain whether this is the correct EGR Delete Module for your Australian vehicle, please use this EGR Delete Module search tool. What is this? This modification loom deletes your EGR system. The loom is a fully molded and has a double-shielded construction. No tools are required to install the

There is a $1 way described somewhere on this forum.

Google and YouTube your heart away! I am no expert and some of my info might be dodgy

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
          Hi,mate. I will definitely do this. Thanks a lot. Who did you ask for the fitting?

Comment

• sharkcaver
            "2000"+ Valued Contributor
            • May 2009
            • Perth

I am thinking about some mods to my pajero. I am a rookie to 4WD. The reason I wanted to buy is because I need a car to travel around different attractions around Perth or WA with less barriers and I also use the car 80% in the city for daily usage.

1 2 inch lift: I heard a lift does shorten the life span of CV and easier to bend steering components?or good brands make difference?

2 Bigger tyres: the stock 265/60/18, it is roughly 30'. what is the best size to serve my purpose?

3 bullbar/ rear bar: which ones should be done at first? Currently, my budget won't stretch to both. I scratched the rear bumper a little bit, so I am keen to replace it with rear wheel carrier/bar. However, I can't find too many options and all options are very pricy.
            For bullbar, ARB deluxe one costs 2.5k? Is this worth the price? or there are some equivalent but better priced options?

4 sidestep: scratched it quite a bit. Try to replace it as well.

5 Underbody protection: no concerns, but need some options

6 Legal issue: what is maximum size upgrade on tyres and lift respectively? Does insurance covers? Any issue with factory warranty?

1. Does a 2" lift shorten CV lifespan and bend components: Well, lots of people have been lifting their gen 3 and 4's forever since 2002 even. If CV lifespan and bending components was an issue, I'm sure we would have heard that by now - we haven't.

2. The best tyre size: standard. Bigger tyres will increase fuel consumption and keep the TC unlocked earlier and longer. Whilst its nice to go up a size, it comes with more trade offs than its worth IMO.

3. Bullbar/rear Bar and what first. Bull bar. Unless you want twin wheel carriers, why would you bother with a rear bar? If protecting your rear bumper is the aim, look into rear bumper protection (bushskinz/boo's bash plates for example). Not only will it be lighter, it will be cheaper too. From what you tell of yourself, I cant see you getting any benefit from a rear bar except lightening ones wallet. Just look where I get to: all without a rear bar.

4. Buskskinz sliders. Expensive, yes, but you will never have to worry about those crappy oem sidesteps again.

5. underbody protection: Bushskinz and or boo's bash plates once again. IMO, front intercooler and sump guards are a must. The rest all depends on where you go, but again from what you describe, those 2 will do it for you.

6. Legal issues: well OJ threw a grenade into the fire, so before I comment, best I read his link.

I think you are over thinking it. To travel around the "different attractions" around Perth or even WA, you wont need to do much at all. As your skill level and confidence increases and you travel more technical ground or remote regions, then think about the other stuff. My mate Wazza, who comes on a few of my trips, has a near stock NX and he goes everywhere I do....and more reliably too. He also uses substantially less fuel too I might add.
            MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• DaKaptin
              • Mar 2012
              • Brisbane, Qld

Originally posted by liyunzhnen001 View Post
              Hi,mate. I will definitely do this. Thanks a lot. Who did you ask for the fitting?
              Its pretty easy & they include how to instructions with it too as far as hpd go...

With an enviable range of turbo diesel products on offer, mainly for 4x4 vehicles, HPD products focus on delivering unrivalled performance, efficiency and quality of fitment for your diesel vehicle.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
              2017 NX Pajero Exceed with:TJM AIRTEK snorkel, HPD oil catch can, KAON i/c and sump bash plates, BushSkinz Elite transmission and transfer case plates, Boo's rear bumper plate. Stock NW 17" rims with Cooper ST MAXX @ 265/70r17

Wish list: smart Bar or ARB B/B with Carbon 12k winch, +50mm suspension, Eatons front e locker,

Gone: 2004 NP PAJERO EXCEED with 3.8L petrol and 290,000ks of memories

Comment

• MR1600
                • Nov 2018
                • Perth

Can i just say with my first post as a recent (less than a week) owner of a stock 16’ GLS that this thread has been very useful to me as i also have little to nil 4x4 experience and had similar questions. I know the answers are already usually scattered in other parts of the forum, however its nice to consolidate and get new fresh opinions.
                Good to see a forum with lots of very very knowledgeable people willing to help out all walks of life!
                Cheers
                Graham

Comment

• liyunzhnen001
                  • Nov 2018
                  • WA

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                  1. Does a 2" lift shorten CV lifespan and bend components: Well, lots of people have been lifting their gen 3 and 4's forever since 2002 even. If CV lifespan and bending components was an issue, I'm sure we would have heard that by now - we haven't.

2. The best tyre size: standard. Bigger tyres will increase fuel consumption and keep the TC unlocked earlier and longer. Whilst its nice to go up a size, it comes with more trade offs than its worth IMO.

3. Bullbar/rear Bar and what first. Bull bar. Unless you want twin wheel carriers, why would you bother with a rear bar? If protecting your rear bumper is the aim, look into rear bumper protection (bushskinz/boo's bash plates for example). Not only will it be lighter, it will be cheaper too. From what you tell of yourself, I cant see you getting any benefit from a rear bar except lightening ones wallet. Just look where I get to: all without a rear bar.

4. Buskskinz sliders. Expensive, yes, but you will never have to worry about those crappy oem sidesteps again.

5. underbody protection: Bushskinz and or boo's bash plates once again. IMO, front intercooler and sump guards are a must. The rest all depends on where you go, but again from what you describe, those 2 will do it for you.

6. Legal issues: well OJ threw a grenade into the fire, so before I comment, best I read his link.

I think you are over thinking it. To travel around the "different attractions" around Perth or even WA, you wont need to do much at all. As your skill level and confidence increases and you travel more technical ground or remote regions, then think about the other stuff. My mate Wazza, who comes on a few of my trips, has a near stock NX and he goes everywhere I do....and more reliably too. He also uses substantially less fuel too I might add.
                  Thx a lot, mate. Who did you ask for the fitting? and did you fit an oil catch can?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X