• Show
Clear All
  • Poita
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2010
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by DAUMULLER
    Hi
    I bought a 4 ton bottle jack from Super-cheap a while ago. It has a screw adjustment on the pad. It is ideal as you can a adjust the screw up to the correct position prior to jacking. It is higher than standard and has a larger base for more stability. The pad fits well in to the correct position.
    I can take measurements if you like. I even fits in the original spot (sort of) without the cover on.
    Yeah the repco one is the same, but I'm not sure it would fit if you had a flat...
    NW VRX MY2013
    Jonny Tig FMIC, 3" Exhaust, RalliArt remap, Provent, FuelManager, CouplerTec rust protection, ARB bar, Runva winch, TJM Snorkel, Bilstein/Lovell/Airbags, full Bushskins kit, Asfir AC+fuel, Fyrlyt Nemesis 9000 spotties + LED headlights, Uniden UHF, RedArc TowPro Elite, BRC breathers, Honda sprayers, Automate lockup/paddles, Rhino platform/backbone

Comment

• erad
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2015
      • Cooma NSW

Looking at my OEM jack on my NW Pajero, I was surprised at how small it is. I cannot recall seeing a jack in the shops as short as this. You may be able to jack under the body with a regular hydraulic jack, but certainly not under the suspension points once you have a flat tyre.

Comment

• Lance
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2009
        • Melbourne

This thread is perhaps a good reminder for all of us to check whatever jack we have in our vehicles and make sure they'll be safe and effective if needed out on the tracks somewhere.

Ge it it out and try it
        Does it hold weight safely ?
        Does it have the reach you'd need if you get caught in a culvert or ditch ?
        Can you safely get it to a solid mounting point under adverse conditions ?
        Do you have a couple of wood blocks to help with lift and or chock wheels ?
        Do you have at least 1 axle stand ?

More thoughts here.......

The following are a few basic jack safety precautions:

Only use a jack on a hard level surface.
        Do not exceed the jack’s specified lifting capacity.
        Jack only under the designated lifting areas to ensure the vehicle is not damaged and that the jack will not slip.
        Wedge chocks under the vehicle’s wheels that remain on the ground, so that the vehicle cannot roll while being lifted.
        If you are using a trolley jack ensure that it is free to roll as the car is raised. Failure to do this may cause the vehicle to slip off the jack.
        Never go under a vehicle that is supported only by a jack. Before going underneath, place jack stands under appropriate parts of the vehicle and lower the vehicle onto the stands. Make sure that the vehicle is securely settled before going underneath.
        Use safety stands to support a vehicle. Do not use bricks, concrete blocks or wood.
        Never allow anyone to remain in, or to get into a vehicle that is supported only by a jack.
        2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
        2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

• Wicks747
          • Oct 2014
          • Alice Springs

May be of interest to some my PK ranger came with a screw jack. Similar to the Toyota ones I believe, very squat. I found it a pain in the backside to be honest and replaced with a kincrome bottle jack when I fitted bigger tyres. but those of you on the hunt for a screw jack it may be worth checking out the wrecking yards for ford ranger jacks.
          Sold 2004 PA Challenger
          Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Wicks747 View Post
            May be of interest to some my PK ranger came with a screw jack. Similar to the Toyota ones I believe, very squat. I found it a pain in the backside to be honest and replaced with a kincrome bottle jack when I fitted bigger tyres. but those of you on the hunt for a screw jack it may be worth checking out the wrecking yards for ford ranger jacks.
            Interested to know what in particular you found a PITA with your screw jack?
            Was the shaft of handle was not long enough and or the length of the crank handle was too short?

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Wicks747
              • Oct 2014
              • Alice Springs

The extension handle just tended to come apart at the join of the two rods. The tyre iron doubles as the crank handle so if you where rotating tyres it was a lot of back and forth. But mostly just slow. It wasn’t that bad really. If it wasn’t for the larger tyres I wouldn’t have changed it.
              Sold 2004 PA Challenger
              Current 2010 XLT Ford Ranger. TJM winch bar, ARB rear bar, Gme uhf, Goodyear Wranglers, dual battery, light force blitz 240s, hard korr lightbar, bushskinz bash plates. Helical torque lock lsd.

Comment

• old Jack
                Regular
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Wicks747 View Post
                The extension handle just tended to come apart at the join of the two rods. The tyre iron doubles as the crank handle so if you where rotating tyres it was a lot of back and forth. But mostly just slow. It wasn’t that bad really. If it wasn’t for the larger tyres I wouldn’t have changed it.
                I suspected as much.
                I have a custom one piece crank handle, 1100mm long and 300mm crank offset so I am well clear of the vehicle when I am using it.

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Seigried
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • brisbane

Well the jack on the NS gave up the ghost. Bought a sidchrome one from bunnings ($39)

Max load 1859kg
                  Advertised max height was 345mm but is actually closer to 360mm.
                  The base is smaller than the factory one, i always use a jacking plate off road so no issue. It also fits in the factory spot, but the supplied handle is terrible.

For the price its a good buy but I might get one a bit bigger down the track.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_164246.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	985785Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_141900.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	985786Click image for larger version

Name:	20200719_142524.jpg
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	985787

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Seigried; 19-07-20, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
                    Well the jack on the NS gave up the ghost. Bought a sidchrome one from bunnings ($39)

Max load 1859kg
                    Advertised max height was 345mm but is actually closer to 360mm.
                    The base is smaller than the factory one, i always use a jacking plate off road so no issue. It also fits in the factory spot, but the supplied handle is terrible.

For the price its a good buy but I might get one a bit bigger down the track.

[ATTACH]44229[/ATTACH][ATTACH]44230[/ATTACH][ATTACH]44231[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                    The only issue you may find is getting it under the jacking points with a flat tyre making them much lower (this is why the factory jack is so squat & with 3 stages). Simply carry a bit of wood plank (or 2) to run the flat tyre up onto if needed. The good thing with this method is it also helps if the new jack won't go high enough, as you can remove the wood before fitting the spare.
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• NTX
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2010
                      • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Originally posted by erad View Post
                      I have a small, 2 tonne trolley jack which I have used for years, no problems. That is until last year, when I got a flat tyre on a gravel road with strong side slope, miles from anywhere, no phone, no passing traffic. I have a severe respiratory problem and it took me over 2 hours to change the wheel. Not nice. The big problem was the bulge in the flat tyre was restricting access to put the jacking pad into the recess in the rear suspension arm, and there was no way I was going to crawl under and jack from the centre of the car. The width of the jack base was too wide to allow the pad to fit into the jacking socket. I managed to change the wheel, but it was not nice.

Subsequently, I bought a bright yellow, 3 tonne, 12 V electric scissor jack from fleabay. This was utterly useless - it struggled to lift one rear wheel. I complained to the seller about it and he happily refunded me the full price and paid the return freight. If you are looking to buy an electric scissor jack, be warned - the label said 3000 kg, but I suspect it was a 3000 lb jack (made in China, naturally. I have a 2 tonne 12 V electric scissor jack for my wife's car and it lifted the Pajero quite well. The 2 tonne jack was at least 100 mm longer than the '3000 kg' jack, so if you are looking to buy, compare the length of the jacks

I now have bought a 5 tonne, 12 V electric/hydraulic jack from fleabay. This thing doesn't even know the Pajero is sitting on it, and it has a small width footprint which will allow me to jack into the socket on the suspension arm, even with a flat tyre. The width of the footprint is about the same as the OEM jack. Incidentally, I checked the OEM jack today - it is still in the original mounting, never even been unscrewed, and thusfar does not show any signs of leaking oil. It has a tiny body, obviously designed to fit under the suspension arms and raise the wheel directly rather than lift the car body.
                      G'day Erad, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the successful electric scissor jack you settled on by chance? I've got a SWB with limited storage, but hoping one might slip into the floor compartment. Cheers Matt.
                      2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• rthy
                        • Mar 2015
                        • Tullamarine

I've used one of those 1/2" impact adaptors with a 1/2" 18v pxc impact driver.
                        Worked amazing on a 80 series scissor jack and lux bottle jack.
                        However, would imaging the jacks life would decrease significantly if used frequently.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	impact_adaptor.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	1126848
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NP Exceed V78W (Daily)
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NG TURBOWAGON L149G (Sold)

Comment

• Dicko1
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2014
                          • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by NTX View Post

G'day Erad, you wouldn't happen to have a link to the successful electric scissor jack you settled on by chance? I've got a SWB with limited storage, but hoping one might slip into the floor compartment. Cheers Matt.
                          I wouldn't trust a scissor jack at all. Mine collapsed after the second usage...wasnt 100% level..Buy the 5 tonne electric /hydraulic. Very simple to use, very safe and a hell of a lot less spent energy changing the wheel.

This similar to mine. Heaps to choose from.....https://major4x4.com.au/product/5t-1...ulic-car-jack/
                          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• erad
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2015
                            • Cooma NSW

Originally posted by NTX View Post

Matt:
                            Sorry for the delay in answering your query. You obviously read my post about jacks. You don't need 5 Tonne capacity, but the price difference was minimal and I had already been bitten on the 3000 kg scissor jack so I went to 5 tonnes to be sure.

I doubt that you could put the jack under the floor. Certainly in my NW, no way would it fit with the third row seat folded down.

My rapidly fading memory tells me the jack is about 350 x 120 mm base dimensions by 110 high. It is like a brick. It has a built-in compressor which I reckon is too small and therefore useless for me.

The scissor jack we have for my wife's car has one outstanding plus over the hydraulic model - the controls are in the power lead. This means that any jacking operation (raise/lower) you are not reaching under the car. With my 5 T hydraulic jack, the switch is on the jack body so you have to reach under the car to operate it. I was thinking of putting a switch into the power lead so that I could set it to raise or lower and then back off as the jacking was under way.

Sadly, my Pajero is 120 km away from me so I cannot verify the info above, but from memory I was the first on this forum to have one of these jacks. Dicko has put a lot more info about them and the range of products is a lot wider nowadays. I would look for a switch/control function in the power lead if possible.

Comment

• paceman
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2018
                              • Mackay

something like this, for remote operation?

https://www.amazon.com/EAMBRITE-Heavy-Ton%EF%BC%889900lb%EF%BC%89-Hydraulic-Floor/dp/B01JRZK6U2
                              Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by paceman View Post
                                This jack is too high at 210mm collapsed height to use under the suspension arm with a flat tyre, from memory the jack collapsed height needs to be about 160mm ???

The reason the factory hydraulic jack fails is it is stored on its side, very few hydraulic bottle jacks are designed to be stored and or used either upside down or sideways, in is to do with the internal piston seals, pump and reservoir design.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X